Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    Snowed more in town last night than the resort....
    Was out at Forster on the weekend and the area is way low on snow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Anybody see the news that Winter X-Games is coming to Calgary for the next 3 years? Crazy...Not 100% sure but it might just be a venue stop on top of Aspen but im sure we will here more news about it in the coming months...

Anyone need a Sunshine Card? I have one i wont be using this season. 1 day on it. Beer trade?

That is a pretty big deal, great for Calgary. City needs something good to talk about.

Next week looks pretty warm everywhere. Is this the beginning of the the end?

I’m not skiing this season-but I would think that a week of warm alpine temps should create a great melt/freeze layer to bridge that nasty snowpack. Then hopefully everyone can get some solid stability for spring alpine missions!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Next week looks pretty warm everywhere. Is this the beginning of the the end?
    '

post up if any dirt is showing?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    '

post up if any dirt is showing?
    I'm a bit concerned as Fernie's base is bellow average this year, we're sitting at 219cm (we're usually closer to 300cm) this time of year. Sunshine hasn't hit 2m yet, they're at 187cm, Louise at 175cm on the backside and 135cm on the front side, Kicking Horse 182cm, Revelstoke 229cm, Panorama 145cm. At least it's going to be sunny as opposed to warm and rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    That is a pretty big deal, great for Calgary. City needs something good to talk about.

Will be very cool. Missed the initial announcement.

I know it is contentious, but IMO, the city voting down the Olympics was incredibly stupid and short sighted. Granted, a horribly run campaign, but sooo disappointing.

As aside, skied the groomers at Pano today. Started around 11:30 and did 20,000 vertical, quitting at 3:30. Snow is grippy in PM, never sloppy. Higher up was in great shape as well, grippy, little ice or sun affect. Really fun.

Heard Taynton on North facing slopes is pretty good, retaining soft. I am turning into a grumpy old skier. I don’t want soft mediocrity. Hard on my back. There have been enough boot to thigh deep days this year I have memories to spare. Growing up in Laurentians and Ontario, groom can be very fun....it was today.....

Resort announced a week extension to the season, now out to Easter weekend. A big plus is the amount of man made snow laid down this year. Fingers crossed for some big dumps later in March. This week will be tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My kid toured East fork on Thursday and said it was boot top goodness.
    I did laps at Paradise yesterday and above tree line was a pretty tough crust over shin deep gold in the am but softened up after lunch. Tree runs were as good as it gets.
    My buddy had his boy out with us too.

Skate skiing in Canmore yesterday was nice. T-shirt weather. Be surprised if there is any snow after next week. Touring in Rogers today, be in rev tomorrow. Any advice on where to head, touring-resort-skate skiing is appreciated. Alpine seems sketch until this heat makes it go isothermic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	975.7 KB 
ID:	274810

First ski day of our Calgary / Rockies family visit / ski tour. Took the kiddos to COP. Kids loved the mini terrain park. The amount of gapage was truly breath-taking. We're sitting in the chair, watching this flailer coming down and picking up too much speed and bang!!!! the kid runs right into a snowmaking tower. Full yard sale, thank god for the yellow mat.

Kimberley leg of our sojourn has been cancelled unfortunately.

Hitting up Louise tomorrow (sans kids). Anyone have beta on how the place is holding up with all this heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post

First ski day of our Calgary / Rockies family visit / ski tour. Took the kiddos to COP. Kids loved the mini terrain park. The amount of gapage was truly breath-taking. We're sitting in the chair, watching this flailer coming down and picking up too much speed and bang!!!! the kid runs right into a snowmaking tower. Full yard sale, thank god for the yellow mat.

Hitting up Louise tomorrow (sans kids). Anyone have beta on how the place is holding up with all this heat?
    North facing backside (ER6,7 and skier right of all WH2 gullies) will be fine. Just follow the sun as it warms Same at SSV, dive will be winter.

Skied Louise today and it was awesome. The front side was definitely on the firm side in the morning, but softened up as the day went on. The backside was more winter like and skiing really good good. Better coverage then I thought, however I still managed to hit a few rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Skied Louise today and it was awesome. The front side was definitely on the firm side in the morning, but softened up as the day went on. The backside was more winter like and skiing really good good. Better coverage then I thought, however I still managed to hit a few rocks.
    yes, you are in the ROCKY mountains.

Thanks for the beta gentlemen. I haven't skied Louise in probably close to 20 years. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    yes, you are in the ROCKY mountains.
    They don't call them the "Snowies"

Thanks for the beta gentlemen. I haven't skied Louise in probably close to 20 years. Looking forward to it.
    Got time to hit Castle? I'm here till Friday.

With the warm weather and sunny skies, plus me heading out for the year, my coulior season at Castle is over. I'll be on the hill for the rest of my season. Luckily the last few days have allowed me the pleasure of ripping a couple more classic Castle lines with some great folks. The goodness started on Wednesday when I skied a line called Revolver with Mike from CO and Kyra from (here kind of). Conditions were a bit spicy with Mike cutting a small slide near the entrance and some sluff management, route finding and bushwacking required. Camera didn't come out until near the bottom.

Name:	down.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	274875

Name:	down-2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	274876

Name:	down-3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	274877

Name:	down-4.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	274878

Name:	down-5.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	881.2 KB 
ID:	274880

A shot of the line from across the valley to the north (Syncline). The line starts in the steep trees (in the middle) and then connects with the furthest left chute. Skiing down this side of the resort gets you easy access to the skiing in the Syncline drainage. We climbed up for a quick lap down the "usual" bowl (as my friends refer to it).

Name:	down-6.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	274881

Name:	down-7.jpg 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	274882

Name:	down-8.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	274883

Great snow and nice meeting these folks. They're moving and setting up shop in Seward, so kind of in my neighborhood when I get back to T town.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I’ll be skiing LL/SSV for the first time mon-fri next week, mostly w my family. If anyone wants to show me around a bit, give a shout. Hope to connect w spooky at rundlestone. I’ll have avy gear but not my touring setup.
    Any recs for where best skate/classic Nordic skiing might be next week? ... wondering how the coverage will be and if we should fly with the extra bag of xc skis. I’m assuming that some of the higher terrain Nordic terrain still has snow?

thread hack; after all these years finally got a pic of the garyfromterrace chair yesterday at Shames from a good vantage point a few chairs back. Kudos, buddy.

Name:	P1100769.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	274944
    Master of mediocrity.

Why the cancellation on Kimberly? Wife and I drove past it from Fernie to Pano a week ago last Friday and coverage looked pretty good. For a family trip, if flexible and not on the rota currently, Pano will have availability, and afternoons the groomers are pretty sweet. And no one is grooming it as well as Panorama this year. If ya gotta ski groomers....
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Why the cancellation on Kimberly?
    Kimberley cancelation is for family and not snow related reasons.

Sadly Gary, the drive to Castle is not in the cards in the cards this time. Doing a Sunshine day with fam on Thurs., night skiing at COP tomorrow and that will be it. Some day Gary we shall ski together. Your pics look great btw.

Louise today was so much fun. With the exception of 19 years ago when I used my Fernie pass to bag a free early season day on the front side (my first day ever on a snowboard), I hadn't really skied Louise in nearly 30 years.

Name:	IMG_5357.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	275044

Lame pic I know, but it was a sight to behold for me. I skied Louise as a kid and it was my favourite resort as a ski obsessed kid.

Name:	IMG_5367.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	275045

Iconic Paradise Chair pic. I would get scared and lean into my dad right at this spot as a little kid. Deja vu in spades.

Name:	IMG_5403.jpg 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	275046

Much like mtlion said, the best snow we found was the ER6, 7 zone (shaded area in pic). Fun terrain; pinches, rocks, chutes, little drops, steepness.

Digging deep and dodging rocks in the Rockies!

Had an absolute blast today at Louise. And the views...... WOW!!!! As good as the views from my Icefall Lodge trip earlier in the winter. My only disappointment was that I could not score one of those old school Lake Louise double L logo stickers.

Awesome day and respect to my buddy Andre for showing me around. Thx for the beta and feedback everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5383.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	275047  
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 03-19-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    I’ll be skiing LL/SSV for the first time mon-fri next week, mostly w my family. If anyone wants to show me around a bit, give a shout. Hope to connect w spooky at rundlestone. I’ll have avy gear but not my touring setup.
    Any recs for where best skate/classic Nordic skiing might be next week? ... wondering how the coverage will be and if we should fly with the extra bag of xc skis. I’m assuming that some of the higher terrain Nordic terrain still has snow?
    Nordic could really depend on how warm it gets this week and how much of the predicted rain comes on the weekend. Can give you a better update later in the week.

Nordic Centre should be good on the manmade trails (about 10km), natural snow trails might be done. Lake Louise should still be ok for classic. My Shark might be ok too, but haven't skied up there this year. Will likely be ideal skin ski conditions for classic if you have them.

Will likely be doing some dh and some xc skiing throughout next week. Will also be the driver on the Kicking Horse shuttle and skiing there on the 26th if that interests you.

AP, awesome Louise shots.

I too have fond memories riding the Paradise chair with my dad. Looking to drag our kids out there in the next few years. There's some pressure from extended family to take them to KH but I think that Louise makes for a better family hill (they're currently 7&9).

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    AP, awesome Louise shots.

I too have fond memories riding the Paradise chair with my dad. Looking to drag our kids out there in the next few years. There's some pressure from extended family to take them to KH but I think that Louise makes for a better family hill (they're currently 7&9).
    yes, KH is limited for kids
    stay in banff, and a $99 lift and shuttle to KH for a day trip

free bus to LL and SSV daily.

Ahh so much Louise nostalgia, also from days spent there with dad as a young kid. Spring windbuff/chalk laps off the back of Summit and Paradise are so damn fun too.

Get out here quick...$12 slushies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk