Has Salomon Fixed the Guardian?

Looking at getting a beefy AT/sidecountry setup and the Salomon Guardian/Atomic Tracker seems like a good fit. I know when the first Guardians first came out they were having issues with breaking. I was looking around at reviews and it looks like everyone was having issues with them breaking from 2012-2014 and I haven't seen as many issues in the more recent years. I'd imagine if it was that big of a problem Salomon would have fixed them in the last 5 years but maybe not. Anyone know if Salomon fixed this issue?

Side question: What're people's thoughts on using a Marker Kingpin or Fritschi Tecton on the resort?

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Side question: What're people's thoughts on using a Marker Kingpin or Fritschi Tecton on the resort?
    I had a pretty good experience with Kingpins on a pair of 50% resort / 50% backcountry skis over the past couple of years. You definitely felt the lack of an elastic toe if you had them on hard stuff, but to be fair they're not really made for that in the first place. It started to worry me when K2 had their latest recall, though, that I was biding my time until they broke. I wasn't thrilled with the skis they were on, either, so I opted to put together a new setup for this year with Salomon Shifts. They're pricier than the Guardians, but if you're looking for a "beefy AT/sidecountry setup" they're your best bet.

why not get shifts?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Not sure about their historic durability, but I have a pair on my mostly-inbounds powder skis and they've held up fine. Anecdata =/= data and all...

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    why not get shifts?
    Because I can't get myself to spend $600 on bindings. You can find lots of lightly used Guardians since they've been around for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I had a pretty good experience with Kingpins on a pair of 50% resort / 50% backcountry skis over the past couple of years. You definitely felt the lack of an elastic toe if you had them on hard stuff, but to be fair they're not really made for that in the first place. It started to worry me when K2 had their latest recall, though, that I was biding my time until they broke. I wasn't thrilled with the skis they were on, either, so I opted to put together a new setup for this year with Salomon Shifts. They're pricier than the Guardians, but if you're looking for a "beefy AT/sidecountry setup" they're your best bet.
    Somewhat newbie to the AT world so forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question. How does the safety of the Kingpin compare to a Baron/Guardian?

I have had three years on the Atomic Trackers NMC, and other than sometimes feeling like boat anchors, I like them...
    They ski just like a proper alpine binding, and I have no anxiety of some pins not releasing when they should and shredding what few ligaments remain in my knees...

Can't answer your Salomon question, though my family has had great results with the Marker equivalents (Baron & F series) for many years. Looking forward to an answer to the Salomon question myself -> don't want to switch the kids over to tech boots yet! Completely agree with you that the cost of used, and even new, Guardians keeps them in the conversation...

On the subject of Kingpins inbounds, though, I wouldn't recommend if you:
    - ski on hard snow
    - ski soft snow that gets cut up/cruddy quick
    - use smaller (<10 ish) DIN at the toes.

Kingpin toes are every bit a tech toe, including the rigid connection to the ski -> you will feel everything, and if it doesn't hurt it will for sure sap energy. In my old man knee case, it is both.

They also have a fixed/high release value at the toe -> for me most of my releases are at the toe, and I have a longer boot sole length (ladies...) that exacerbates the problem. This is the main factor that always gives me a pause for using them for lift served outside of the best conditions.

I *believe* the Tecton toe mitigates all of these concerns, but have no direct experience. FWIW, I love the Kingpins for touring, and will use them on deep days at the resort, but always switch skis by lunchtime when things are tracked out.

Because I can't get myself to spend $600 on bindings. You can find lots of lightly used Guardians since they've been around for 5 years
    Buy once cry once?

I personally was very dissatisfied with my guardians, primarily because of snowballing under the frame, limiting the motion in some snow conditions. As far as frame bindings, I most definitely preferred the duke to the guardian.

I skied in-bounds with pin bindings for a season, and swapped them out for more forgiving alpine binding.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Yeah, but he can cry 3x if he puts the same money on Guardians!

How about $422.33? https://www.barrabes.com/en/salomon-...d=392623&opt=d

[edit]Looks like someone in the US bitched to Salomon, 'coz they now say they don't sell to the US.
    Did we decide that Freezepro is on the up and up? https://www.freezeproshop.com/salomo...&#91;offset]:0

I don't know about Guardians, but my OG Dukes skied like crap. I ripped them off after one day and went back to pin bindings on those skis.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    On the subject of Kingpins inbounds, though, I wouldn't recommend if you:
    - ski on hard snow
    - ski soft snow that gets cut up/cruddy quick
    - use smaller (<10 ish) DIN at the toes.

Kingpin toes are every bit a tech toe, including the rigid connection to the ski -> you will feel everything, and if it doesn't hurt it will for sure sap energy. In my old man knee case, it is both.
    This. I put Kingpins on a carbon Volkl BMT 109 for resort powder and backcountry, but after getting into some scraped off icy bumps more than once I decided they hurt my beat up knees too much and they are relegated to backcountry only now.

My resort skis have guardians and I like them for what they are - an alpine binding that allows me to occasionally tour into the side-country. I've had them for a few years and no problems with breakage. Yet anyway.

Anyone know if Salomon fixed this issue?
    Not that I know of. At this point in time I bet all available hands are being put to work on the Shift assembly line trying to fill the demand and they've pretty much forgotten about the Guardian.

Gaurdians are super heavy and ski like shit. They change the way the ski flexes and the stack height is noticeable. I used them for a year then sold.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Gaurdians are super heavy and ski like shit. They change the way the ski flexes and the stack height is noticeable. I used them for a year then sold.

I been using the Atomic Tracker 16 for well for 4 years for resort skiing, and they have been reliable, release when they are supposed to. Skied plenty of bumps, jumps and crud. Never an issue.
    And I feel confident in them, unlike the kingpins, which I tried resort skiing, and was a little freaked by that.

Yes, they are heavier
    Yes, they have a higher stack height.
    But as an aggressive skier, I like the extra height, and the weight is only felt on the way up.

I think the big fix was releasing the Shift.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I think the big fix was releasing the Shift.
    yep. but aggressive tourons like extra weight and stack height.

SHIFT has NOT made the frame AT binding obsolete while you can use them with alpine boots for the down you can't use SHIFT for touring unless you got tech compatible boots

I haven't used Guardians but I have a couple pair of Barons which came on used skis

I don't tour them just use them at the hill with alpine boots ... heavy & heavy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looking at getting a beefy AT/sidecountry setup and the Salomon Guardian/Atomic Tracker seems like a good fit. I know when the first Guardians first came out they were having issues with breaking. I was looking around at reviews and it looks like everyone was having issues with them breaking from 2012-2014 and I haven't seen as many issues in the more recent years. I'd imagine if it was that big of a problem Salomon would have fixed them in the last 5 years but maybe not. Anyone know if Salomon fixed this issue?

I would not use the bindings in a resort. Not f durable enough.
    You can get cheap used Alpine bindings.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Bumping this with a question.
    My local shops have utterly failed.

I broke the screw heads of the pin screws that allow the binding to pivot off the ski - the axle that enables skinning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4545.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	263779

The piece that goes in that hole.

One shop said contact Salomon. Salomon said contact your local shop. A different shop has the pins, but does not have a bolt or nut — basically the female end to hold the pin/axle in place.

Any shop peeps out there able to get those two parts so the bindings aren’t just paper weights? Trying to set up a friend for touring without spending big $$ yet. He’s just looking to try it out.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?