Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    no kidding, the sportube's less than half that
    http://www.sportube.com/pages/rack_mounted.php
    maybe titan/cubcreek should bug them about patent infringement
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

krp

have you thought up a name for this rad rod hauler yet?

"1,2 Rod Lock Box" -a little Sammy Hagar tribute (look out for copyright infringement )

-btw: you've absolutely killed it with the design, nice on ya mang

^^^Thanks. No name yet, but started on the plug for the mold yesterday. Forgot my respirator, and even with the dust collector and shop air filter running I was still blowing MDF out of my nose half the night.

FKNA!!!!

Sorry, I haven't been on TGR in a while...

Pow4Brains
    telee
    Happy Fun Ball
    Gretch6364
    72Twenty
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Pow4Brains, paypal 5/3
    telee, check received 5/10
    Happy Fun Ball, paypal 5/4
    Gretch6364
    DEVO
    2FUNKY paypa echeck 5/12
    sunpower, paypal deposit 5/5
    SFB paypal 5/13
    Donkey Punch-I'll gladly take two.
    Adipose deposit in the mail
    72Twenty
    Impact Hottub paypal deposit 5/13

Everyone, I am in a bit of a quandary at the moment. I want to continue this project, but can't afford to get sued.

I have done searching to the best of my ability on the USPTO.gov site for related patents. I found 1, 04967504.pdf that seems like the precursor to the sportube. It has expired, and it could be argued that the next logical step would be to make a solid, locking rear hatch, therefore excluding further patents.

I have done a whois search on the www.Titanrodvault.com address, which brings you to http://bodeoutfitters.com/. The name and e-mail address listed matches that of cubcreek.

I'm not sure what to do, I can't find a patent, they don't list one, and i have a feeling that there isn't one. But, the owner of the site knows about this thread and what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by cubcreek View Post
    There is already a patented rod holder that looks much like this one... You may want to look into this...
    Quote Originally Posted by cubcreek View Post
    NO it is not the sport tube

The Titan Rod Vault is the name www.Titanrodvault.com
    Cubcreek, I know who you are, I have your addresses and phone number. So why did you have to come on here just to act all casual, instead of stating your affiliation with the company, and your problem with this thread? I've asked for a patent number, do you have one?

Fuck this jack off. Let him find you if he really cares.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post

I'm not sure what to do, I can't find a patent, they don't list one, and i have a feeling that there isn't one. But, the owner of the site knows about this thread and what I am doing.
    take it underground...

Cubcreek, why does your web store force me to listen to gay music?
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Quote Originally Posted by Chowda View Post

I wonder fi they paid their royalties for that....

Quote Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
    That music infringes upon my sensibilities. Cubcreek, please contact me to discuss obtaining a license that will compensate me appropriately for that infringement. Or, turn that shit off. I look forward to your reply.
    Last edited by woodstocksez; 05-13-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Sometimes I think you guys are some of the smartest people on the web, other times I wonder if you were shaken as babies.

Gay music, Gay website, acts like a fag on here, I am sure he has paid royalties

Alright cubcreek, post that fuckin Patent # with schematic bitch or shut the fuck up. If you look closely you will see that krp8128 design is not exactly like yours so really no infringement what so ever. For there to be infringement the design has be EXACTLY alike unless you filed patents for a assload of different variations.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    For there to be infringement the design has be EXACTLY alike unless you filed patents for a assload of different variations.
    No, not true for a utility patent, which I assume is what we're talking about here.
    Sometimes I think you guys are some of the smartest people on the web, other times I wonder if you were shaken as babies.

I want one...
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by woodstocksez View Post
    No, not true for a utility patent, which I assume is what we're talking about here.
    If that is the case then I stand corrected, not a patent attorney, but have looked into filing a couple. Even still, this design is not like the cubcreek special since this one does not come with tubes and has different features/designs. I believe he is trying to get hits on his product, just do not mention the cubcreek special by name.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I want one...
    A girlfriend? What's new!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If that is the case then I stand corrected, not a patent attorney, but have looked into filing a couple. Even still, this design is not like the cubcreek special since this one does not come with tubes and has different features/designs. I believe he is trying to get hits on his product, just do not mention the cubcreek special by name.

Yes, I am assuming that this would be a utility patent too. If it is a design patent, I can easily get around that...

If they do have a patent (they don't....), and I am using even a single "claim", I an screwed.

I'm leaning towards the fact that their site looks new (contact page is still FUBAR) as well as the fact that they didn't get a private domain name that they don't have a patent and are just trying to get their name out and stop me from undercutting their sales.

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    no kidding, the sportube's less than half that
    http://www.sportube.com/pages/rack_mounted.php
    maybe titan/cubcreek should bug them about patent infringement

I have a funny feeling it would be the other way around.......

http://www.patent2pdf.com/pdf/06760994.pdf

I think that is the sportube.

I'm reading it all tomorrow, and I will let you all know my decision. There is a lot of misinformation out there about patents, i don't claim to know it all, but I know enough to keep my broke ass out of trouble.

I have a funny feeling it would be the other way around.......
    sorry, forgot the sarcastic smiley
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Dump the latch. Velcro.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

trying to dredge up what i know about patent law, but I am pretty sure i you are not duplicating for profit, not actively marketing and producing there idea, bla bla bla... then you are not infringing, hence do a non profit, hooking friends up type deal... If they are charging the aount they are, and you are charging $50 a piece i think it is a pretty logical point to prove that you are not doing this for profit.
    I can research this a little more tomorrow...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Of course I am totally assuming that they indeed have a patent, which I am kind of thinking is a pretty big assumption, seeing as how no one has produced one and has just thrown out some hot air and bluster.... If anything I would think the sport tube boys would like to check out the cub creek boys...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    trying to dredge up what i know about patent law, but I am pretty sure i you are not duplicating for profit, not actively marketing and producing there idea, bla bla bla... then you are not infringing, hence do a non profit, hooking friends up type deal... If they are charging the aount they are, and you are charging $50 a piece i think it is a pretty logical point to prove that you are not doing this for profit.
    Unfortunately, that is way off from what I know:

"A utility patent is grant of negative right that gives its owner the negative right to exclude others from making, using offering for sale, selling and importing the claimed invention"

Straight out of my patent and trademark book...

EDIT: cubcreek is full of shit. I'm worried about the sportube guys, and that last patent number I posted

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    No.

But the reality is that if you're a small time operation, there's not a lot of financial incentive for a patent owner to pursue you.

Yes, I am assuming that this would be a utility patent too. If it is a design patent, I can easily get around that...

If they do have a patent (they don't....), and I am using even a single "claim", I an screwed.
    krp's been paying attention in his patent class.

Design patents cover ornamental design and I don't think that's what anyone's interested in protecting here. They are also of very limited scope.

Utility patent (really, what I think everyone thinks of when they think of patents) is what's of concern here and krp is correct that it only takes one claim.