Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    ^Yeah that's what I'm thinking of but can't seem to find it. But I think you're right with pulling up only had a noticeable benefit in pedaling efficiency for short bursts, like a road sprint. Here's a post from BQ and the comments have some more info. Although fuck toe straps.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...n-next-pedals/

I rock flats for commuting on my road bike. It is waaaaay less efficient, but also waaaay more comfortable.

For whatever it's worth, I ride clips 0% because of any extra efficiency or power, and 100% for better handling and bike control.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Yeah, I've rode a bunch of long gravel races with clips. Especially on real loose washboard descents, and this is probably against popular opinion, I'm re-thinking being clipped in on 40mm tires. Local rides at the time, which were also pretty rough, proved some level of support for this.

*Edit, plus I've found limited clipless shoes that actually have wide toe boxes. Since developing some slight foot issues with wide feet to begin with, I almost have to use wide toe box style shoes nowadays for anything remotely athletic.
    Try specialized, wide in front narrow in the heel I have 3 pair from over the years, only available at a spesh dealer

I've also had 2 pair of shimano which are probably good shoes but they didnt fit ... gave them away

A curmudgeonly old fart I ski with at the hill sometimes refuses to use clipless pedals cuz they will trap him ... wait a minute SPD's will entrap you but your toe clips don't ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Try specialized, wide in front narrow in the heel I have 3 pair from over the years, only available at a spesh dealer

I've also had 2 pair of shimano which are probably good shoes but they didnt fit ... gave them away

A curmudgeonly old fart I ski with at the hill sometimes refuses to use clipless pedals cuz they will trap him ... wait a minute SPD's will entrap you but your toe clips don't ?
    Good to know, maybe I'll check those out. And yeah toe clips are sketchy AF!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    lol. There is(was) a unicyclist who was a Galby regular. He was good too. But why?
    I asked him once how long it took him to learn to mountain unicycle. He said it took him about 5+ years to get good enough to really ride the trails. I said that was a long time, but not too bad. He then replied that the first answer didn't count another 5 years before that just to learn how to regular unicycle. The 5 years afterwards was just to learn to do it on dirt and rocks.

And...I'm back to him being an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Yeah, I've rode a bunch of long gravel races with clips. Especially on real loose washboard descents, and this is probably against popular opinion, I'm re-thinking being clipped in on 40mm tires. Local rides at the time, which were also pretty rough, proved some level of support for this.

*Edit, plus I've found limited clipless shoes that actually have wide toe boxes. Since developing some slight foot issues with wide feet to begin with, I almost have to use wide toe box style shoes nowadays for anything remotely athletic.
    OK.

Lake makes very good shoes, and they are wide, and they even make a wide version of most of their already wide shoes.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I ride clips 0% because of any extra efficiency or power, and 100% for better handling and bike control.
    Bonus points for being able to jump on the bike with *ANY* shoes and ride to the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Bonus points for being able to jump on the bike with *ANY* shoes and ride to the pub.
    Read toast's post again....

There’s an occasional mag that rides a uni on trails. OP knows him. He’s strong in many athletics. Specific to the bike, I believe he rode and finished the pbp this summer.

Idk shit about his pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Read toast's post again....
    Reading comprehension is hard.

Rides to the pub happen on pub bikes, not fancy mountain bikes. Pub bikes, of course, have flats.

Rides to the pub happen on pub bikes, not fancy mountain bikes. Pub bikes, of course, have flats.
    Damn. Pub bike?

FANCY!

Name:  monocle1.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  7.6 KB

Damn. Pub bike?

FANCY!

Name:  monocle1.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  7.6 KB
    More like deliberately un-fancy, for theft deterrent/loss mitigation in case of theft/drunken crash/drunken abandonment in the front yard, etc.

He was simply referring to N+1...sarcastically
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I typically stumble until I can find a suitable lime bike....with flats.

They pulled all the Lime bikes here. Only scooters remain, and those things are deadly sober.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I got some Look En-Rage this summer. Feel identical to XT Trails but they’re blacker, so they’re better.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    OK.

Lake makes very good shoes, and they are wide, and they even make a wide version of most of their already wide shoes.
    ^^ Truth up there.

After you get a few rides in the Lakes be sure and call your parents and thank them for your wide feet. It's only right. Nice stiff soles = no grabby platform contact to interfere with knee-loving floaty pedals.

Got a love hate relationship with Crack Brothers. Bad knee loves the float, especially in roll with half-used cleats. Engineer brain hates the breaking. And the cleat wear. But for a solid week or two they are better than SPD's.

Maybe I should try these Times. Do they let your foot roll at all?

yeah but can you do it no hands ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

Maybe I should try these Times. Do they let your foot roll at all?
    Yup (depending on how you set them up). That's part of the reason I like them. All the float of crank brothers, but with the durability of shimano. And a spacer under the cleat lets my foot roll around a bit, which I like.

Interesting. There are those videos on GCN where they did a power test, and found that flats generated essentially the same power as clipless. Video and some pseudo-science truthiness here: https://pedalinginnovations.com/does...ipless-pedals/

My anecdotal experience is that I am faster AND became a better rider on flats.

Schralphy Macchio is lending me some XT trails, and I ordered those Nukeproofs. Will do a comparo and report back.
    sproing!

Counterpoint:
    I’m a complete spazoid on flats, and I did BMX as a kid.
    Kinda like tele-ing
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yup (depending on how you set them up). That's part of the reason I like them. All the float of crank brothers, but with the durability of shimano. And a spacer under the cleat lets my foot roll around a bit, which I like.
    Yup. I rode Times for about 15 years. The 1st pair I only replaced because I had a buddy that tried them but couldn't get comfy on them (coming from SPDs), so I "inherited" his chi-chi Ti-axled ATACs.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Interesting. There are those videos on GCN where they did a power test, and found that flats generated essentially the same power as clipless. Video and some pseudo-science truthiness here: https://pedalinginnovations.com/does...ipless-pedals/

My anecdotal experience is that I am faster AND became a better rider on flats.
    Yeah - there are a MYRIAD of reasons to ride clipless pedals, and a MYRIAD of reasons to ride flats. It's just that power and efficiency are *probably* not very good reasons.