Thread: Ash Vacuum

Ash Vacuum

What ash vacuum do you all like for your pellet stoves etc? I am new to pellet stoves and now have 2 of them. Service guy was just here today and now I am fired up. He suggested the loveless brand. Mentioned the lynx model in particular which now seems to be discontinued

I read this as Ass vacuum and was like WTF?!?! and was a tad disappointed/relieved...

carry on

I've been using your standard shop vac for years, but some of those ash vacs do look sweet.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I use a shop vac with a drywall bag. Works fine for cleaning out the pellet stove.

Let the stove cool for at least 3 hours before vacuuming. Running out of the house with a shop vac on fire is not a fun experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You can’t convince me to buy a vacuum just to suck ash. Shop vac is great. Just don’t do it with out a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Running out of the house with a shop vac on fire is not a fun experience.
    Sounds like the voice of experience.

Subscribed as I'm also new to pellet stove ownership.

I thought uh-oh, did he spill Donny's ashes?

Do they make them with a tray so you don't have to vacuum them? My Jřtul woodstove has one and is easy to deal with even hot.

edit: how 'bout that Swedish o?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I read this as Ass vacuum and was like WTF?!?! and was a tad disappointed/relieved...

carry on
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    I've been using your standard shop vac for years, but some of those ass vacs do look sweet.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    You can’t convince me to buy a vacuum just to suck ass Shop vac is great. Just don’t do it with out a bag.
    I think there’s a market for ass vacs.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Sounds like the voice of experience.
    Yep. When you see the hot ash get inhaled into the vac, and then a second later see the smoke coming out of the vac exhaust.... time to run outside, open the vac lid, and pour water in the canister.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Do they make them with a tray so you don't have to vacuum them? My Jřtul woodstove has one and is easy to deal with even hot.

edit: how 'bout that Swedish o?
    Mine has an ash tray but there is still some ash that flies out of the fire pot and won't make it to the tray.

Assuming everyone is aware of this but I'll mention it anyway, ash vacs are special cuz they can handle hot ash. Most folks who heat their homes exclusively with wood all winter rarely shut the fire off long enough for things to cool down enough not to melt the shop vac. Hence the need for a specialty tool.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Assuming everyone is aware of this but I'll mention it anyway, ash vacs are special cuz they can handle hot ash. Most folks who heat their homes exclusively with wood all winter rarely shut the fire off long enough for things to cool down enough not to melt the shop vac. Hence the need for a specialty tool.
    The ad for the loveless says warm, not hot? Can't the hose melt or catch fire? And if you did have a vac full of hot ashes you'd want it out of the house on a non-flammable surface I would think.

I heat all winter with a small stove which requires frequent cleaning. I scoop out the ashes and put them in a steel trash can. Between when I wake up and return from work, the stove is out. I rarely vacuum since that little bit of ash remaining isn’t worth removing and it’s a hassle to get the shop vac from the garage. When I do vacuum it out, I use an extra long hose and leave the vacuum outside. That way I don’t clog up filters or expensive vacuum bags. I’m okay with some ash blowing out of the vacuum outdoors

I don’t think you should start a fire in a stove without a little ash in it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I think there’s a market for ass vacs.
    PM Rontele
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

You people using a shop vac in the fireplace are nutz.

We had an ash vac once since we have 4 fireplaces. You still get some ash flying around. I don't know anything about access in pellet stoves but I prefer to spray down the ash a bit with water then scoop the mixture out with fireplace tools. Way less dust floating around.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    I don’t think you should start a fire in a stove without a little ash in it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Will you PLEASE tell my wife that. She insists on completely shoveling out the wood stove every time she starts a fire, which is every night at least unless I get to it first. I just start a fire on top of the ashes and embers until the stove gets too full of ashes, then I shovel them into a basket that lets the ash fall through and traps the embers which I use to help start the new fire. You'd think it would spew dust around the living room but it doesn't.

We had an ash vac once since we have 4 fireplaces. You still get some ash flying around. I don't know anything about access in pellet stoves but I prefer to spray down the ash a bit with water then scoop the mixture out with fireplace tools. Way less dust floating around.
    I even used water vac, really effective thing but I have only one fireplace and its medium size!
    Last edited by sarahk99; 11-08-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Quality first post.

How often do you have to clean those pellet stoves?

I remove ash from our wood stove a handful of times every winter. It doesn't produce all that much ash. Letting it cool down enough to shovel / vacuum out ash isn't a big deal when I only have to do it once a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

The key is the drywall bag, as posted above....That and get good pellets....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

$10 ash scoop and a $15 small metal garbage can with a lid. I don't have a pellet stove but I burn 5 cords in my wood stove every year and it works fine for me, takes all of 5 minutes. You're burning shit in the stove, not eating out of it...doesn't need to be completely clear.
    The Sheriff is near!

I got tired of hauling my shop vac out of the garage to my deck, so I got a buckethead. Very happy with that purchase.a