Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Cue anticipation...

That's on a short list next to mb116, and not sure what else...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Got 2 laps inbounds on hard/old snow, and one lap OB on soft snow and I’m pretty impressed with the BMX 115. Definitely is a Kastle. They will 100% hold an edge and carve GS to Super G turns going from 0 to 90 and back to 0. Too big for chalky bumps, but thats not the point. They are a bit beefy in tighter spots, but noting a large person with decent form couldn’t handle.

I’m soft snow the BMX 115s rip. You feel the stability and suspension right away. They want to go fast, but if you drive them, they do exactly what you want. I was surprised at how soft the tip felt crossing other tracks. It wasn’t a seamless transition through the previous tracks as some big heavy chargers will do.

As with all Kastles, you are not allowed to take a moment to rest, you must be in charge at all times.

As for a comparison to the MB 116, the BMX 115 is heavier, I’ll try to get exact numbers later. You can feel it on your feet, but not so much in that swing weight. The both didn’t take much effort to vary turn size, but the Kastle does medium to large turns with more confidence. The MB116 is no slouch, but you feel the light weight of the ski when you start going fast. The Kastle keeps it composure and gives you confidence to really haul off you need to.

Both skis have a spot in my quiver for now. I’ll see how that goes over the next few months. I feel like other things will come out to keep the MB116 and the BMX115, but time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Got 2 laps inbounds on hard/old snow, and one lap OB on soft snow and I’m pretty impressed with the BMX 115. Definitely is a Kastle. They will 100% hold an edge and carve GS to Super G turns going from 0 to 90 and back to 0. Too big for chalky bumps, but thats not the point. They are a bit beefy in tighter spots, but noting a large person with decent form couldn’t handle.

I’m soft snow the BMX 115s rip. You feel the stability and suspension right away. They want to go fast, but if you drive them, they do exactly what you want. I was surprised at how soft the tip felt crossing other tracks. It wasn’t a seamless transition through the previous tracks as some big heavy chargers will do.

As with all Kastles, you are not allowed to take a moment to rest, you must be in charge at all times.

As for a comparison to the MB 116, the BMX 115 is heavier, I’ll try to get exact numbers later. You can feel it on your feet, but not so much in that swing weight. The both didn’t take much effort to vary turn size, but the Kastle does medium to large turns with more confidence. The MB116 is no slouch, but you feel the light weight of the ski when you start going fast. The Kastle keeps it composure and gives you confidence to really haul off you need to.

Both skis have a spot in my quiver for now. I’ll see how that goes over the next few months. I feel like other things will come out to keep the MB116 and the BMX115, but time will tell.

Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If the snow's not >= zero degrees C: the just a little too short in the tail K2 Darksides in a 174cm length with 3cms of tail extenders really charge in chop and drier snow chunder, while allowing sweet feeling high speed slarves with subtle forward weight shifts. Skis fold in deeper moist/wet chop/chunder. But in the less than moist snow stuff, nice suspension and damping...improved with the tail xtenderz. Great tail support maching soft groomers and nice little extra pop from turn to turn.

Name:  P1120374.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  P1120375.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  72.2 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

5'11" / 175# to 180#

The daily drivers lately:

193 EHP / ninja FKS 15
    191 Movement Goliath / red metal 9-16

Lange RX130
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 01-22-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

With all due respect, I don't think a heavy charger is looking at any 174 cm skis with plastic cutting boards bolted to the tails. Or did I just get trolled?

Although not a popular ski around these parts, I've been having fun on some pretty hard snow on some 190 Rossi Expression 100s. Skis like a wide GS ski for people not truly running gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think a heavy charger is looking at any 174 cm skis with plastic cutting boards bolted to the tails. Or did I just get trolled?
    174 isn’t a charger.

And I think he is trolling? There are holes in the tails of the Darksides so he wouldn’t have to drill the holes to bolt the cutting boards on...

Big guys, if you cant ski well in the front of the boot then tailgunner stabilizers on ice skates may be for you.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

174 isn’t a charger.

And I think he is trolling? There are holes in the tails of the Darksides so he wouldn’t have to drill the holes to bolt the cutting boards on...

Yeah, no drilling. I had a pair of 190 Darksides for awhile. They were a bit stiffer than you would think for K2s but they were not to versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    If the snow's not >= zero degrees C: the just a little too short in the tail K2 Darksides in a 174cm length with 3cms of tail extenders really charge in chop and drier snow chunder, while allowing sweet feeling high speed slarves with subtle forward weight shifts. Skis fold in deeper moist/wet chop/chunder. But in the less than moist snow stuff, nice suspension and damping...improved with the tail xtenderz. Great tail support maching soft groomers and nice little extra pop from turn to turn.
    I wonder how much of the perceived change is just due to the added weight at the ski's extremity, rather than the little portion of plastic extension overhanging the tail.

6' and 220.

Current rotation for me.

192 cochise, blue with orange bull. used to be my dd. Still lots of luv.
    190 Salomon Qlab. Very strong ski that can be finessed. Under appreciated imo.
    189 kastle bmx105hp. Probably the ski i am grabbing the most lately. Great travel ski.
    193 R11. So versatile. Also a great travel ski.

Interesting reading about 20/21 gear. Seems that manufacturers are settling into this 102 to 106 trend, ie the new cochise, mantra 102, enforcer 104 type ski.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I wonder how much of the perceived change is just due to the added weight at the ski's extremity, rather than the little portion of plastic extension overhanging the tail.
    Like changing ramp angle of footbeds, bindings or grinding a bootboard, sometimes small changes result in big real world feel In this case, it's 3cms of non tapered tail; I think that's the part that is key. Former test was with 8cms of chopped off twin tapered tails...resulted in different and less desirable ski feelz. Twas fun to angle the extenderz out and inboard to get different changes in turn feel though.

For uphilling, much improvement in general grip for steeps and sidehilling support in looser faceted snow. For that, I flipped em upside down so that little curved pocket compacted the snow a bit and provided a tractor tire like tread snow penetration with every step, improving grip.

Name:  P1120056.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  P1120057.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  99.6 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 01-21-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

174 isn’t a charger.

And I think he is trolling?

Not trolling...but, good point about what constitutes 'charger'. I skied with garyfromterrace yesterday, maybe he can weigh in on if i'm a charger or not on my little mini, fat, snowblades.

I'm just giving unsolicited ghetto options of what you can do to mod yer planks to extend comfort zones of performance characteristics inherently engineered into the skis.
    Master of mediocrity.

Large charger =/= smaller charger. I wasn't trying to offend or say you're not a charger...only mentioned the Clydesdales usually size up from 174. At 220 with tree stump thighs, I usually just buy the longest length of any given ski without really thinking about what length to buy. If the longest length is sub 188, that ski doesn't make the consideration list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Big guys, if you cant ski well in the front of the boot then tailgunner stabilizers on ice skates may be for you.
    Praxis Rx

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Large charger =/= smaller charger. I wasn't trying to offend or say you're not a charger...only mentioned the Clydesdales usually size up from 174. At 220 with tree stump thighs, I usually just buy the longest length of any given ski without really thinking about what length to buy. If the longest length is sub 188, that ski doesn't make the consideration list.
    Yeah i'm not a huge guy, 5'10, vary between 185-195 pounds depending on the season, but usually ski with pack so total weight of about 200-215 pounds +/-...fwiw.

Also, fwiw; a season project is to add external top sheet attachable/detachable stiffening strips for skis to allow for parking lot ski stiffness selection based on snow conditions/preferences for the day. Hopefully have something testable by june. Combined with tip xtenderz, tail extenderz; will allow for a lot of custom tweaking of stock skis' performance.
    Master of mediocrity.

At the risk of sounding like a dick...

Keep the swissiskunkworks stuff in that thread you started a while back. No one in this thread or the many other threads you post this crap in cares that you bolt cutting boards to a 170cm K2 or bend custom rocker in to them or add 7 CM tip extensions or what not. I'm a fat fuck who likes to ski fairly fast, I buy skis that are an appropriate length and construction for my intended ski style, terrain and snow conditions. The OP was asking for feedback in regards to that.

It's cool (I guess) that you make a 170cm ski feel longer by bolting another 15cms of shit to them, but that's not the question in this thread. And I enjoy reading about it in the thread you started about the mods you'd been doing. but posting about it in everything thread you can is getting super old.

We're not questioning your manhood, your ski ability, your creative genius or anything. It's just that no one here, in this thread cares AT ALL about this shit.

I've seen what i consider "a power skier"

Carpathian would be a good example

also seen a lot of guys that just weigh a lot

so I been looking at this thread sinceits inception and wondered

what are we talking about here ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Power skiers have blotches of Aquaseal on their gear. It's how you know they're core.

You sure its not hot glue cuz AQS can look very similar if you are in a hurry, don't hide it on the inside and make a fucking mess ?

You sure its not hot glue cuz it looks very similar if you are in a hurry and make a mess ?
    For the bow end; combo pack of two layers of double sided carpet tape and anchoring dabs of hot glue to ski top sheet for the tail xtenderz, fyi. Survived some pretty good thrashing yesterday 100 percent intact.
    Master of mediocrity.

wow you really should start a ghetto works thread !

You sure its not hot glue cuz AQS can look very similar if you are in a hurry, don't hide it on the inside and make a fucking mess ?
    Emergency trail side repairs. Definitely not glue...no electricity. Core.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Thread drifting my own thread...what are people's thoughts on a powerful ski vs a powerful boot? Was just thinking, if you have a large human on "powerful" skis it's not going to do any good if you don't have a good connection point, ie your boot. Currently on mtn s/labs and debating what would be the better investment
    I'd say boots are more than important skis any day of the week but given your size and skiing style you probably want a stiff ski too.

I'm 6'2" and 205.

Resort: Belafonte 186 for daily, Bibby Pro 190 for pow, Fischer Vac RC4 130

Touring: 4frnt raven 184 cm, Scarpa Maestrale RS, Hoji Free.

for the core you wana just carry a big roll of tyvek tape ... red is faster eh

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I’m 6-5, 210 & have the 196 Down CD 114
    If you are in love with the 193 billy goat, the CD 114 is going to feel not burly enough. If you think the BG is a tad heavy, then you will more likely like the CD 114

Re OP
    I’m enjoying the 193 Corvus
    Thoughts on the 196?

I do love the 193 BGs but they are getting to the end of life. Not as lively as they once were.

I think I'll try mounting the CD 114 with something like a shift/tecton/kingpin and seeing how I like them as a 50/50.

I have the CD 104ls with dynafits which climb great and are very fun snappy ski. They however are a but underpowered (and short) for the type of skiing I'm used to. I'm not sure how the compir with the standard layup.
    Happy to adapt my style when touring but be would be looking for a lot more "power" from the 114s.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk