Page 72 of 274 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 6831
    Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Shop jigs don't compensate for top sheet curvature either.......
    Yes they do.

how do you compensate for the gravitational pull of the earth?

are you guys fuckign kidding me?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yes they do.
    How? By flexing?

I'm holding a salomon jig in my hands right now and it looks dead flat.

That said, I'll defer to your far greater expertise. I only did it for one season, and being young, didn't devote much brain power to it.

I am actually curious now though... flex, or are the drill guides angled?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    lol, agree. It's screws into wood, not apollo 13.

Whether a jig is perfectly perpendicular to the topsheet, and the screws are run in by hand (which probably has a degree or three of play), or whether a drill press puts straight holes in a slightly curved topsheet, doesn't really matter as long as the bindings are centered and straight,
    Last edited by pisteoff; 12-02-2017 at 07:06 PM.

just like to point out you can have control of the sharp end a handheld drill with my wine cork method

but if you let go of the drill it falls on the floor ... gravitational pull eh?

Motherfucking blurple 997s on some EHPs. No drill press and I didn’t account for the gravitational pull of the full moon, but they still turned out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Motherfucking blurple 997s on some EHPs. No drill press and I didn’t account for the gravitational pull of the full moon, but they still turned out fine.

I dunno. Not so sure about yer brakes. Shoulda used a drill press

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    How? By flexing?.......
    Yep. Even the latest 'frame & cable type' jigs from Dynafit and for the Kingpin/Tecton will flex to follow the ski.

how do you compensate for the gravitational pull of the earth?

Yep. Drill by hand you fucking dentists, these aren't teeth you're drilling into, but huge pieces of wood. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    I dunno. Not so sure about yer brakes. Shoulda used a drill press
    Fair point. Still need to do the brake bendy, but am now considering having some bespoke, artisanal brake arms custom made.

Fair point. Still need to do the brake bendy, but am now considering having some bespoke, artisanal brake arms custom made.

#gamechanger

Since they are your own fucking skis, drill them however you fucking like.

Personally, as someone with lots of hand tool (while working many materials) experience and understanding that skis cores, screws & bindings will be just fine with minor imperfections, I never thought twice about needing anything beyond free handing the drilling of holes.

I can also appreciate concerns of those who do not use tools or various materials on a regular basis and are not comfortable drilling skis without aids. I also appreciate striving for very tight tolerances, even though in skiing, minor imperfections will not really affect your skiing or life. But if someone feels better using guides or a drill press, fine. Go for it.

On my recent mount and experiment (one ski by hand/guide, one with drill press), I found I could drill about 3 or 4 holes by hand per set up for one on the drill press. But, the drill press also forced me to slow down and did put me into an even more careful mindset. One hand I liked using the drill press, on the other it did seem like overkill. So what if it is?

It's all good, just double check yourself each step no matter how you drill your own fucking skis.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Still need to do the brake bendy, but am now considering having some bespoke, artisanal brake arms custom made.
    I hear reclaimed wrought iron is all the rage now. #ruststains

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post

Personally, as someone with lots of hand tool (while working many materials) experience and understanding that skis cores, screws & bindings will be just fine with minor imperfections, I never thought twice about needing anything beyond free handing the drilling of holes.

I can also appreciate concerns of those who do not use tools or various materials on a regular basis and are not comfortable drilling skis without aids. I also appreciate striving for very tight tolerances, even though in skiing, minor imperfections will not really affect your skiing or life. But if someone feels better using guides or a drill press, fine. Go for it.

On my recent mount and experiment (one ski by hand/guide, one with drill press), I found I could drill about 3 or 4 holes by hand per set up for one on the drill press. But, the drill press also forced me to slow down and did put me into an even more careful mindset. One hand I liked using the drill press, on the other it did seem like overkill. So what if it is?

It's all good, just double check yourself each step no matter how you drill your own fucking skis.
    And, as always, use fucking epoxy to lube and seal your holes

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post

This ^^ the last sentence is key

if I had to drill holes in metal to metal that needed to be exact & would be threaded for machine screws a drill press would be apropo but doing binding mounts we are talking about putting wood screws into wood, the important thing is to put the screws in the right spot which shop workers seem to fuck up even with the proper jig

When i mount its always freehand, I go really slow listen to the radio try to think about nothing else and I drink coffee not beer

the exception is a Tele mount, IME you can drink whatever you want

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    This ^^ the last sentence is key

if I had to drill holes in metal to metal that needed to be exact & would be threaded for machine screws a drill press would be apropo but doing binding mounts we are talking about putting wood screws into wood, the important thing is to put the screws in the right spot which shop workers seem to fuck up even with the proper jig

When i mount its always freehand, I go really slow listen to the radio try to think about nothing else and I drink coffee not beer

the exception is a Tele mount, IME you can drink whatever you want
    i drink java injest hudge quanities of thc and jam that rock n roll radios loud
    cept i go real fuckin fast cause i'm high dollar shop bitch and they expect production
    get back to me after 60+ hours and a thousand mounts
    and let me know ifin all the holes got i the right spots
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    cept i go real fuckin fast cause i'm high dollar shop bitch and they expect production
    and let me know ifin all the holes got I the right spots
    No charge for the extra holes, right?

I have holes for sale in Gear Swap.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    most everything in the warehouse we gots more of so we just grab another
    throw that one on the wall of boo boo shame and take it down to retail to get marked down and now that we acquired/ merged with a consignment business the stores got a lot of lookin for a deal clientel
    we have our friday meeting and we get and give shout outs
    the mount team got one for the lack of skis on said wall
    which was funny cause i took most of em down to retail a couple days before
    and then blew 2 that afternoon
    ive been known to space a din setting or 3
    so the qc testing team tells me
    and i turn er down a notch or 2 in the retail setting
    specially on them practictioners of dental arts high dollar skis
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I have holes for sale in Gear Swap.
    How many mounts on those holes?

Interested in a trade? I've got some unused boot punches.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    and let me know ifin all the holes got i the right spots

I don't need or want to do thousands of mounts, sounds like it sucks to be you, in any case if yer such a baller you must have the jigs and all the right gear SO you should know what yer doing while its pretty obvious most of these fucking dentists do not cuz we might do one a year without all that specialized mounting stuff

so we would all benifit from slowing down measure twce/ drill once

in the right place
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-03-2017 at 08:35 PM.

The drill press idea was tempting. I tried using my bench mount Craftsman drill press and the platform is more geared for small parts and the like. I'd need a bigger platform to use it for skis. Or fab up some sort of supports for the skis.

So, I fucking free-handed it. Again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3467.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	217991

^^great match of the colors of beer and binder - supergoats?

looks like wren 108

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    ^^great match of the colors of beer and binder - supergoats?
    Thanks. I figured Oregon skis pair best with an Oregon - all from Portland, no less. The best part? It's the winter ale. Mega tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    looks like wren 108
    Winner winner bamboo shoots dinner

More mounting my own fucking skis stoke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_534.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	218024