Iceland and Berlin early Dec - recs?

Spending 24 hrs in Iceland on my way to a conf in Berlin.

I know there’s a lot of convenient bus tours in Iceland...not normally my thing but maybe the right approach since I have limited time.

Staying on Friederichstr near the Bahnhof in Berlin, plenty of free time. It’s the only major city in Germany I haven’t spent time in, so looking fwd to shooting some H and shopping for black turtlenecks.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

read some len deighton novels

Hmmmm.... with 24 hours, you're pretty limited to the area around the airport (Keflavik) and Reykjavik. I personally wouldn't touch one of those tour buses, but it all depends on what you're into.

There are lots of lodging options around the airport, FWIW. Having been to Iceland a few times, I would recommend exploring the Reykjanes Peninsula- lots to see with 24 hours.

If you got really ambitious and the weather was good, you could probably drive all the way to Vik and back to see some more of the south coast (like Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss). It's a lot of driving, but it's worth it if you don't plan on being back in Iceland anytime soon.

And.... if the weather is good and the skies are clear, you could always go hunting for the Northern Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    since I have limited time..
    and 4.5 hours of daylight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    and 4.5 hours of daylight.
    I thought they turned on the floodlights for tourists.

I travel to yurp a few times a year, so I can arrange a longer Iceland stop another time. But wanted to get at least something in this time.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Wear a sweater.

My brother-in-law, Kai Schiemenz currently has an exhibit at Eigen und Art, which is located on Auguststr. Mostly glass statues. The following nightclubs are all good: Bergain, Tresor, Watergate and Sisyphus. If you have some free time, take a short bus, train or boat to San Souci in Potsdam.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  6.3 KB
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 11-09-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The Kit Kat Club in Berlin is calling your name, fro.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I know there’s a lot of convenient bus tours in Iceland...not normally my thing but maybe the right approach since I have limited time.
    I'd just avoid the big coach tours. Book a tour with a smaller group and it will probably be a lot better. With the limited daylight this time of year I'd be tempted to stick to the Golden Circle tour over ones that go farther out from Reyk.

My wife and I used Gateway to Iceland tours a couple years ago and had a good experience. We had less than ten people on our South Coast tour.

Thx.

Last time I did a 24hr layover in Reyk I stayed at Hotel Berg. Great spot and had a lot of accommodations. If you can rent a 4x4 follow the west side of the peninsula around (hwy 44/425/427/38/39/1) and there are tons of little fishing towns and geysers to stop at. We drove out to Valahnúkamöl and checked out Gunnuhver Hot Springs in the SW corner of the peninsula. Really great views out there. The blue lagoon is a shitty tourist trap, but that's just what the locals told me.
    Watch out for the gnomes and drink some of their birch booze(it's almost unpalatable).

Don’t bother with the Golden Circle, it’s probably the least interesting area in Iceland I’ve visited over 20+ days of being there. The only redeeming quality is that it’s close to town.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Don’t bother with the Golden Circle, it’s probably the least interesting area in Iceland I’ve visited over 20+ days of being there. The only redeeming quality is that it’s close to town.
    Yeah with 24 hours to spend I am curious what you'd do, I've only been there a couple times.

I suspect you'll be going to Berghain. Avoid the long lines by getting there around 6 am on sunday. Find yourself a good dealer in the corner next to the dudes having unprotected sex and enjoy yourself some ketamine and mdma. Dance until monday morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Just like the kit kat club. Fro's gonna get sum!