Page 45 of 191 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 4757
    Always be prepared, dude. Winter Storm's moving in tonight.

and I'm told this is not one of the collective?: http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/rec...cc4c002e0.html
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thanks for the photos Rasputin - from those and everything else I've seen in this thread I think I'll have a blast up there this winter (especially if my contract doubles and I'm there into March).

Wait til you throw back a bloody Mary at the bowl. Best in the world. The Bowl and surrounding bc is an awful lotta fun.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    It's possible to ride the lift at the Bowl, go out the back gate, ski a lap in the BC, and get back to town by noon.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Woot, woot, here she comes!

Overnight: Snow. Low around 24. South wind around 15 mph becoming west. Winds could gust as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow and areas of blowing snow. High near 28. West wind between 15 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Snow. Low around 26. West wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Monday: Snow. High near 27. West wind between 16 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Monday Night: Snow showers. Low around 21. West wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 22. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Tuesday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.

Wednesday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.

Thursday: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.

Thursday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Friday: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 21.

Friday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

I picked up my pass today at Snowbowl's fancy downtown "office", which is actually the historical Worden House, on the corner of Pine and Adams. Now I just need to get my Intuitions baked and I'll be good to go.

BTW, Stuart Mountain Snotel is reporting 22 inches. Woot!

lolo pass looks awfully good right now too. lookout pass opens this friday.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Yo! New to the whole TGR thang, but thought I would give a shout out for potential backcountry partners this season. Lost a couple solid partners this year to new babies, moves, and other bullshit so I'm looking to get a bit more depth to my "will-call" list...

Requistes
    Must have your own sled and knowledge of how to use it. I use sleds like golf carts...it simply gets you there; everything else is self propelled...not into hot-lapping. Mostly focus my efforts in the S. Missions, Upper Locsha, S. Bitterroot and State-line areas. 5-8k/day is typical. Solid avalanche, route finding, terrain select skills are key. Pre-dawn starts are standard.

I'm 32, been skiing for 30 years and touring for 15...10 of which in the Msla area. I'm typically conservative in terrain/line selection and can easily back-off terrain these days after to many close calls and loss in the mountains. That being said, I tend to focus on ski-mountaineering objectives, sometimes technical, when the conditions present themselves. On the same note, who doesn't love lapping treed pow on high hazard days?

Anyways, I apologize if this reads weird but if you're in the same boat and looking for solid BC partners, reply or whatever you do on this thing. Here's to a deep and safe season. Cheers!

I can understand wanting someone your speed and knowledge level, no one wants to wait all day or get killed, but as an introduction to the forum, it reads a bit like "Are you good enough to be my friend?" I'm sure that's not your intent, but just sayin'.....

More egregious than that, you have failed to post nekid pics of your hot girlfriend, sister, or wife.

My observations from the drive up this AM:

My real GF is hotter but, this works in a pinch:

The guardrail placement makes little sense to me. They always seem to be where you'd penalty box into the dirt berm....not off to the side where there are no trees. Seems like they just picked places where there are no trees on the downhill side to put them up. Even though they are very unlikely spots to peal off...

I know I am a JONG and all but I was hoping that you guys could lend a hand...

I am currently back in Maine for family issues but have been considering a move to Missoula for sometime. I have lived in CO for the past 3 years but can't stand that place anymore (not to mention I can't go back there for 2 years. I feel like MT is more my speed (Maine's biggest city is <70,000).

I am excited to get into BC touring and all of that jazz. Would anyone be willing to offer up the best areas in Missoula to live/look for a place to live? I am entering my late 20's but would still like access to social aspects of town.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Casco Bay View Post

I am currently back in Maine for family issues but have been considering a move to Missoula for sometime. I have lived in CO for the past 3 years but can't stand that place anymore (not to mention I can't go back there for 2 years. I feel like MT is more my speed (Maine's biggest city is <70,000).

I am excited to get into BC touring and all of that jazz. Would anyone be willing to offer up the best areas in Missoula to live/look for a place to live? I am entering my late 20's but would still like access to social aspects of town.

Thanks in advance.

If you decide to move to Missoula I can help you out no problem. I sell real estate to facilitate my PLT lifestyle so I know it well. First and foremost, why the hell can you not go back to CO? I left there at 18 and haven't looked back. Yes, I'm an old.

Well, I can go back to CO but I wouldn't be able to drive for two years. That really sucks during ski season as no one likes the guy that bums rides all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Casco Bay View Post

Thanks in advance.
    The best place to look for work is at the state job center. Many jobs in the city are posted through that office and are searchable online. In a nutshell, the biggest employers are the school district, the university, and St. Patrick hospital.

Where you live depends on what you are looking for. The only places we looked for a home were downtown, Northside, University, Rose Park and Lewis and Clark. All these neighborhoods are within 1.5 miles of each other. Further out than that and you are liable to live next to a single wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey2012 View Post
    Yo! New to the whole TGR thang, but thought I would give a shout out for potential backcountry partners this season. Lost a couple solid partners this year to new babies, moves, and other bullshit so I'm looking to get a bit more depth to my "will-call" list...

Requistes
    Must have your own sled and knowledge of how to use it. I use sleds like golf carts...it simply gets you there; everything else is self propelled...not into hot-lapping. Mostly focus my efforts in the S. Missions, Upper Locsha, S. Bitterroot and State-line areas. 5-8k/day is typical. Solid avalanche, route finding, terrain select skills are key. Pre-dawn starts are standard.

I'm 32, been skiing for 30 years and touring for 15...10 of which in the Msla area. I'm typically conservative in terrain/line selection and can easily back-off terrain these days after to many close calls and loss in the mountains. That being said, I tend to focus on ski-mountaineering objectives, sometimes technical, when the conditions present themselves. On the same note, who doesn't love lapping treed pow on high hazard days?

Anyways, I apologize if this reads weird but if you're in the same boat and looking for solid BC partners, reply or whatever you do on this thing. Here's to a deep and safe season. Cheers!
    I'm saying this with the understanding that I actually might know you but not know your handle, but you really sound like a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by riokarma View Post

The guardrail placement makes little sense to me. They always seem to be where you'd penalty box into the dirt berm....not off to the side where there are no trees. Seems like they just picked places where there are no trees on the downhill side to put them up. Even though they are very unlikely spots to peal off...
    You are correct, the Forest Service required guardrails everywhere Snowbowl had filled to widen the road and straighten the curves, and where the trees on the downhill side had been removed.

They are highly ineffectual, as the road indeed slants away from them toward the uphill side.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, they weren't part of the original requirements for road widening from the Forest Service, it was a road engineer, who I think was consulting for Snowbowl, who was sitting in a meeting between Snowbowl and the FS, and threw out the idea of installing guardrails, and so the FS added guard rails to the prerequisites for expansion of the ski area.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    I'm saying this with the understanding that I actually might know you but not know your handle, but you really sound like a jerk.
    Pretty sure you don't know me, because if you did, I think the last word to describe me would be "jerk". Sorry if I offended you "cloud_cult"...just looking for folks with similar interest and motivation. Obviously, I'm in the wrong spot...

Later...

might be heading to Lookout after a test Friday morning, or saturday. IDK, a buddy just dropped out. Anyone else gonna be there?

And where do I go pick up my pass at this mysterious office?
    No longer stuck.

might be heading to Lookout after a test Friday morning, or saturday. IDK, a buddy just dropped out. Anyone else gonna be there?

328 E. Pine. I don't know why it's mysterious, there's a link with the address (and dates/times for pass pick up) posted on the home page of their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey2012 View Post

Requistes

is your name Lee?

If this storm produces half of what they are promising I'll be there first thing Fri. So I probably won't be waiting for you to finish your test but, I'd be down for a beer post opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    You are correct, the Forest Service required guardrails everywhere Snowbowl had filled to widen the road and straighten the curves, and where the trees on the downhill side had been removed.

They are highly ineffectual, as the road indeed slants away from them toward the uphill side.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, they weren't part of the original requirements for road widening from the Forest Service, it was a road engineer, who I think was consulting for Snowbowl, who was sitting in a meeting between Snowbowl and the FS, and threw out the idea of installing guardrails, and so the FS added guard rails to the prerequisites for expansion of the ski area.
    Yeah, it a shame it works that way. The $ spent could've really been used in much better ways. Gotta love the forest circus and consultants. Whooops. I'm sure the mil+ they spent could've really brought griz up to "speed". Yeah, pun intended.

Smokey - strong first post but that's a lot to take in, predawn starts and all that.
    and dont worry about these soft-skinned internetters who may not be as wound up and serious as your 'requisites' require, we're all here for the same love of pow.

RioK, enjoy exit ZEROZERoZEroZerozero - see you sometimesoon

I really don't wanna drive all the way over by myself. Anyone else going? t?
    No longer stuck.

Does Lookout pass get crowded on the weekend? Based on whats going on outside my window right now, it probably worth it to head up there tomorow.