Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, after all this bickering , I found this heartwarming.

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/20...-lift.html?m=1
    Yes!

Having seen what happens when a double gets replaced by a high speed quad, I understand their logic.

The comments there area good mixture of respect and understanding with the occasional I want a detachable quad whiners
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Why not ski over to check them out?
    Cause 50% of the time the line over there is worse...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Most people don't ski midweek because they're working, in case you hadn't noticed.
    Blackouts on powder days?--you're insane
    Increased pass prices--so only the rich can ski?
    As far as more patrollers--Squaw has 55 last I heard and still can't open everything first thing after a storm. Plus, if you hire enough patrollers to somehow open faster after a storm, what are those extra patrollers supposed to do the rest of the time? Patrollers have to make rent too. (One thing you can do is install more Gazexes--they seemed to have helped Alpine Meadows open faster, Squaw not so much. Although the people who live near Alpine are upset about the noise.)
    Variable pass prices is what I was referring to. If you don’t want blackouts, pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Most people don't ski midweek because they're working, in case you hadn't noticed.
    Blackouts on powder days?--you're insane
    Increased pass prices--so only the rich can ski?
    As far as more patrollers--Squaw has 55 last I heard and still can't open everything first thing after a storm. Plus, if you hire enough patrollers to somehow open faster after a storm, what are those extra patrollers supposed to do the rest of the time? Patrollers have to make rent too. (One thing you can do is install more Gazexes--they seemed to have helped Alpine Meadows open faster, Squaw not so much. Although the people who live near Alpine are upset about the noise.)
    And no - I’m not insane. If you follow this thread you will know I’m talking about multi resort passes.

Multi resort passes are too cheap. Relative to inflation skiing is 33% of the price it was in 1999 if you buy a multi resort pass today.

If those passes are going to stay cheap, resorts need variable pricing, more blackouts, advanced reservation systems, etc

Well, after all this bickering , I found this heartwarming.

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/20...-lift.html?m=1
    I <heart > A-Basin. This is great...much respect!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    And no - I’m not insane. If you follow this thread you will know I’m talking about multi resort passes.

Multi resort passes are too cheap. Relative to inflation skiing is 33% of the price it was in 1999 if you buy a multi resort pass today.

If those passes are going to stay cheap, resorts need variable pricing, more blackouts, advanced reservation systems, etc

No, you are insane. Who in their right mind would commit to powder blackouts?

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I <heart > A-Basin. This is great...much respect!
    Yeah, this is really something. He wants to be the MRG of the west. Bravo. Market niche.

As I mentioned above, Powder Mountain was eye opening, too, but I sense that those owners are doing that as an extreme hobby. Good job, though.

People who don't want to pay for the more expensive, non-blacked out pass?

At least around here, sunny, warm weekend days can get almost as crowded as pow days. Nice weather brings gapers out of the woodwork. I bet a lot of those people don't really give a shit about pow.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    People who don't want to pay for the more expensive, non-blacked out pass?

At least around here, sunny, warm weekend days can get almost as crowded as pow days. Nice weather brings gapers out of the woodwork. I bet a lot of those people don't really give a shit about pow.
    There are shitloads of skiers around here that don't give a shit about pow - mainly because it's hard to ski for them.

Yeah, but, they all want to loudly bullshit to friends or workmates about how they shred the pow all weekend. Like that gaper on the airport shuttle last night. STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    T-bars accessing expert terrain for local season pass holders are the answer. Cheap, reliable, and iKon millennials won’t want to ride them or know how.
    You might be on to something here. The Schlasman's lift at Bridger bowl: You can only get on if you have a functioning avalanche beacon. I was there on a small powder day a few years ago and it was me and about 3 others skiing it.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    You might be on to something here. The Schlasman's lift at Bridger bowl: You can only get on if you have a functioning avalanche beacon. I was there on a small powder day a few years ago and it was me and about 3 others skiing it.
    That's another fascinating business model. Well, not really business, non profit. Very well run, favoring locals at reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    That sounds nice. I was there on a pow day a few years ago and the lineup was a solid 45 minutes.

That's another fascinating business model. Well, not really business, non profit. Very well run, favoring locals at reasonable prices.
    Except that it, too, is so crowded that nobody goes there any more.

Too much demand on high demand days is obvious.

On the other hand, the resort wants to increase the number of skiers overall so that off peak days aren’t quite as empty. However, now matter how much marketing they do, everyone still seems to come on the same day. Which simply means the resort is not doing a great job at demand planning and revenue management.

I think we’ve done a good job covering disparate pass prices. Passes that cause people to ski midweek would certainly help. Passes that black out on powder days would help. Passes with more blackouts would help. More expensive passes would help.

However, I also believe the resorts that have overcrowding issues need to help disperse crowds across the mountain more efficiently.

The number one thing that would help on crowded days (besides limiting the number of guests) would be installing real time lift line information at the top and bottom of every lift. This type of signage is inexpensive and fairly effective (look at Disney). For the signs to function effectively, the queue data must be updated constantly so that the information is actually helpful to the customers. If, skiers used the sign information as they ski even close to how well queue signs are used by customers for decision making across other industries (about 50% usage) to choose their next lift, the resort’s lift facilities will be used more efficiently. Other industries that have done this have seen close to a 40% decrease in the number of customers that have to wait in line for more than 10 minutes.

It would also certainly help to increase the number of ski patrollers so that terrain can open more quickly after a storm.

Dood your ramblings are starting to resemble SJG... Maybe take a break or reread what you’re writing.

Resorts doing a poor job of management planning, passes that get more people to ski mid week? JHC. Maybe the issue is that 99% of people have 2 days a week to do anything besides work.

Coming up on Super Gaper Weekend. Anyone else just gonna stay home?
    I suppose I could do a short tour somewhere. I'm pretty lazy though.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    There are shitloads of skiers around here that don't give a shit about pow - mainly because it's hard to ski for them.
    Yeah, but, they all want to loudly bullshit to friends or workmates about how they shred the pow all weekend. Like that gaper on the airport shuttle last night. STFU.
    These describe here pretty well from my limited experience. No beef from me, amusing no doubt.

The person that is only willing to pay $700 for a multi resort pass instead of $1,500 for an unlimited single resort pass...

You don't get this thing.

Variable pass prices is what I was referring to. If you don’t want blackouts, pay up.

My perspective is as a Squalpine local. IKON is the only pass we have. When they started the IKON they eliminated the midweek pass with all weekends blacked out. I guess they figured anyone who would buy the midweek pass won't ski weekends anyway so why not charge them more for something they won't use. Likewise, a significant number of us will never use the other resort days so that's another thing they can charge for that won't be used.

As far as traveling skiers, back in the day you could get a really good deal on multiday lift tickets when you booked lodging. Cheap multiresort passes have taken the place of that.

As part of the "elite" ,any pass pricing that makes skiing unaffordable for more people or gives people special access like special lift lines, early access, or the privilege of skiing powder if they're willing to pay is offensive and un American. There's enough of that shit in America as it is. Skiing is too great a sport to make it too exclusive. Let the rich go and cat skiing or play polo.

Same shit happened a decade ago in Jackson.

I don’t understand. The weekday warrior season pass was good money with no added congestion. Wtf.
    They still sold the weekend pass. But why?
    So many full season skiers chose to save money and not fight weekend crowds
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Same shit happened a decade ago in Jackson.

I don’t understand. The weekday warrior season pass was good money with no added congestion. Wtf.
    They still sold the weekend pass. But why?
    So many full season skiers chose to save money and not fight weekend crowds
    bc they can still sell them the full pass price and for the most part they won’t ski the weekends anyway...
    skid luxury

There is a segment of skiers/visitors that don't don't even blink an eye at day or seasonal pass. They just want to ski. Varies by resort I would guess and they love those people.
    I am not one of those people.
    Yeah, I said those people.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    There is a segment of skiers/visitors that don't don't even blink an eye at day or seasonal pass. They just want to ski. Varies by resort I would guess and they love those people.
    I am not one of those people.
    Yeah, I said those people.
    But are they people?
    Are they human?

Who does that?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But are they people?
    Are they human?

Who does that?
    No, they are not human. But they generally stick to their groomed runs, so live and let, well, whatever OS they are on.