Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Speaking as someone who has met both Benny and PNWbrit, I can confidently state that both are real nice guys who would get along fine IRL. I have no idea why the Internet fucks things up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Benny plays himself as a superior cunt in the ECRC and pretty much unwelcome to hang with us. Please convince him to move to your town soon.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I wish, but Harry bought at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I wish, but Harry bought at the right time.
    I'm happy to start a Go-Fund-Me...

except I like Harry too much to do that to him.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BCtransplant View Post
    Can you explain that a bit further? Like, better to get skier compaction going as soon as possible?
    Moguls from the dirt up.
    Let no snowflake be undisturbed.
    If the above two fail and one has facets on the ground that skiers cannot impact, then one is deservedly slow in openings after large loads.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by BCtransplant View Post
    Can you explain that a bit further? Like, better to get skier compaction going as soon as possible?
    ^^^ This is one version.

I got to where I pictured the avalanche paths I was responsible for as being structures to be built over the span of a winter and that they would have weaker and stronger layers of structure as the snow accumulates.

Every new layer that was deposited and then subsequently either skied in or slid off contributed to that structure.

That is the major difference between Back Country forecasting and Ski Area forecasting. In a ski area setting you are dealing with a set number of starting zones and have the advantages of skiers and explosives to artificially influence the structure you are trying to build. It is a matter of opening and skiing in new snow once you have a safe enough base layer to build upon.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I'm happy to start a Go-Fund-Me...

except I like Harry too much to do that to him.
    He carries a 45 for the grizzles. He can handle me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ This is one version.

I got to where I pictured the avalanche paths I was responsible for as being structures to be built over the span of a winter and that they would have weaker and stronger layers of structure as the snow accumulates.

Every new layer that was deposited and then subsequently either skied in or slid off contributed to that structure.

That is the major difference between Back Country forecasting and Ski Area forecasting. In a ski area setting you are dealing with a set number of starting zones and have the advantages of skiers and explosives to artificially influence the structure you are trying to build. It is a matter of opening and skiing in new snow once you have a safe enough base layer to build upon.
    Remember when the term "bridging" went out of vogue?
    I always thought it was a very apt term for the structure you are describing.
    lt is a real thing, and like you state, is relied on heavily by ski area forecasters when one is unable to make moguls from the dirt up...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Speaking as someone who has met both Benny and PNWbrit, I can confidently state that both are real nice guys who would get along fine IRL. I have no idea why the Internet fucks things up.

speaking as someone who would share water be it frozen, flowing or still anytime with u
    You know bunny and I are of different species of peeps
    and well never be bros
    right.
    the 1st season I moved here 96-7 was a very unstable snow pack
    argenta covered the road and closed the bcc for a day +
    soli lost a patroller doing avvy migration
    theres a headstone above the p horn troll shack
    the photofuckit assholes have my stash all jacked up or id post the pic
    but it says
    "He passed TRYING to make the mountain safe for others"
    cept the trying aint capitalized
    should be a given
    thanks to those who do the same
    respect
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    speaking as someone who would share water be it frozen, flowing or still anytime with u
    You know bunny and I are of different species of peeps
    and well never be bros
    right.
    the 1st season I moved here 96-7 was a very unstable snow pack
    argenta covered the road and closed the bcc for a day +
    soli lost a patroller doing avvy migration
    theres a headstone above the p horn troll shack
    the photofuckit assholes have my stash all jacked up or id post the pic
    but it says
    "He passed TRYING to make the mountain safe for others"
    cept the trying aint capitalized
    should be a given
    thanks to those who do the same
    respect
    RIP Brewer...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    RIP Brewer...
    I was slinging drinks for the well cofired steiny one that winter
    he had a lot of friends that worked there and it was an eye opener
    both IR
    and EW
    have gone for control work rides
    tophers got a pocket tween ortovox and bombs away named after him
    and they changed it from jim clem to barrets glades
    but it'll always be clem to us
    almost came up Friday with the vt boys but I figured 2+ pi rates would keep ya busy most of the day
    ski ya soon
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

RIP Brewer indeed.

Never met him but several friends worked with him and said although he had his Demons (don't we all) he was a solid guy.

TFW, is Howie still lurking about or did he hang up his tiny little screwdriver?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    RIP Brewer indeed.

Never met him but several friends worked with him and said although he had his Demons (don't we all) he was a solid guy.

TFW, is Howie still lurking about or did he hang up his tiny little screwdriver?
    Yeah, Brewer had his demons. Salt Lake born and bred, East High, bounced through 3 patrols in less than 10 years, yet liked by all.
    Stood too close to the edge that final day, and many others figuratively.

Howie's little screwdriver is only working for Recco these days.
    Bubye!

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Remember when the term "bridging" went out of vogue?
    I always thought it was a very apt term for the structure you are describing.
    lt is a real thing, and like you state, is relied on heavily by ski area forecasters when one is unable to make moguls from the dirt up...
    The ridge at Loveland is like this. Patrol often triggers slides to the ground on terrain that had previously been open for weeks or months. This always seemed unnerving to me, but I guess it’s common practice? I always thought it would have made more sense to trigger slides on the depth hoar layer early in the season rather than let enormous hard slabs build up on top of it.

I still hear the term used on occasion and usually in a ski area setting.

I always thought it would have made more sense to trigger slides on the depth hoar layer early in the season rather than let enormous hard slabs build up on top of it.
    In my experiences in Montana that is part of the process. Clean things out to as close to the ground as possible and then start over and put willing skiers/boarders on the new snow as soon as it is navigable. This season the wild card is that just above the ground on a lot of the aspects in the area lies a stout ice layer. So far (to my knowledge) the ice layer has yet to begin to break down.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Like ~2006, a bump run at snowbird slid at night (full moon) and the bed surface was a mogul field.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    The 2006 post-control slide I always think about was the Climax slide at MMSA. Hundreds of tracks on the slab and it just went huge on its own in the middle of the afternoon. Nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I always thought that someone found the sweet spot on the Climax slab. That was a really rough year for mammoth patrollers.

Lets face it, avalanches have gotten smarter. Some day they will rule the world
    Hello darkness my old friend

Or have humans just gotten dumber?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I always thought that someone found the sweet spot on the Climax slab. That was a really rough year for mammoth patrollers.
    Possible I'm misremembering. I just googled around and couldn't find anything as to cause. Found various old threads and whatnot though. And some of those reference other, older inbounds slides. Saw something about early 90s post-control slide(s) on Quail Face at Homewood in which one or more people were killed?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ide-at-Mammoth
    https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/t...d-LOTs-of-pics
    http://splitboard.com/talk/topic/mam...ril-17th-2006/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/youngg...n/photostream/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Dang. That mammoth Climax bowl slide trigger was just my assumption.

Is it just me, or are we seeing more inbound avalanches?

I think Climax has ripped on two occasions iirc in the last decade or two

Maybe I was just oblivious, but I don’t recall any post control slides like that in the 70s and 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    Or have humans just gotten dumber?

It's hard to believe that they *could* get dumber.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I think Climax has ripped on two occasions iirc in the last decade or two

Maybe I was just oblivious, but I don’t recall any post control slides like that in the 70s and 80s
    There were fatal slides at Alpine--one of the gullies on South Face of Sherwood--and in Silverbelt at Sugar Bowl in the 70's/80's. I don't recall the dates.