Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hostels in Colorado

I had a trip planned to SLC early January while I’m on break then some family stuff got in the way so I’ll be in Denver. Where should I ski??

I will have no car, no lodging, but will have my skis and a couple hundred bucks.

Are there any hostels ridiculously close to A-basin or winter park? Or shuttles that run from hostels? I came across the fireside inn near A-Basin so I could definitely cough up the 50$ a night for a bunk but would love to hear some other options. If it isn’t obvious by now I’m on the ikon so eldora and copper are also options.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I stay at hostels some during most of my trips -- Fireside is in Breck I thought ? been years though and I was only there once, for a bunkroom style bed it was overpriced. There are two hostels in Silverthorne that are accessible to the Summit stage (look on Airbnb but they are not locked in that platform.

My favorite Co hostel was the Rocky Mountain Inn Frasor but it is now Winterpark employee housing I think. The Hostel in crested Butte is excellent although the one in Gunnison is smaller and much friendlier.

Inn the Clouds in Leadville is really nice, great people, and both Simple and the Salida hostel in Salida are good, simple is right downtown and Salida a little further and quieter. Leadville is very accessible to Copper and of course the mighty and newly expanded Cooper.
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Woah thanks for the info dump super helpful and needed. Stoked to see salida tossed in there. I’ve stayed along the Arkansas river every summer since before I can remember. Probably going to check out the hostels in silverthorne because I really want to ski a-basin. Any info on shuttles/buses that run to the mountain? Thanks daviski

I can’t speak to cheap accommodations in the high country, but our regional transportation district (RTD) has started a new service called Snowstang. Downtown Denver to A basin and back for $25. Bustang has a route from Denver to Grand Junction with a stop in Frisco as well. There is bus service from Frisco to Copper, and likely A Basin, though I’m not certain if this. Also, there is a weekend train from Denver to Winter Park called the ski train for $80 round trip.

Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by daviski View Post
    The Hostel in crested Butte is excellent although the one in Gunnison is smaller and much friendlier.
    Unfortunately the one in CB is no longer there. We always stopped in for a shower when camping in the summers. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    I can’t speak to cheap accommodations in the high country, but our regional transportation district (RTD) has started a new service called Snowstang. Downtown Denver to A basin and back for $25. Bustang has a route from Denver to Grand Junction with a stop in Frisco as well. There is bus service from Frisco to Copper, and likely A Basin, though I’m not certain if this. Also, there is a weekend train from Denver to Winter Park called the ski train for $80 round trip.

Enjoy your trip.
    Thank a ton, sounds like I’ll be pretty much all set.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Unfortunately the one in CB is no longer there. We always stopped in for a shower when camping in the summers. Bummer.
    Really? No hostel in CB anymore? That's a damn shame.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Really? No hostel in CB anymore? That's a damn shame.
    Yeah, and apparently that was the town laundromat too I think.

Stayed at the one in Leadville and the one in Gunnison (Wanderlust?) and both were fine. Great food at the Leadville one, Gunny one has a private room for just a little more $.

I don't know why hostels aren't more of a thing in ski towns and the US in general. Always my go to outside the states. There's a hostel in breck but they charge $90 for a bunkbed!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeLunker View Post
    I don't know why hostels aren't more of a thing in ski towns and the US in general.
    You should open one - I believe that you'll find out rather quickly why they aren't more of a thing.

Glenwood Springs has a hostel on Hwy82 a few blocks south of downtown.
    Take Amtrak or Bustang there, then RAFTA’s frequent buses up to Aspen.
    Save Abay for May.

I have hostelled quite a bit in other countries, only have stayed at one in the USA (in Moab). I know of a few successful ones in northern New Hampshire tho

https://wmhostel.com/

https://notchhostel.com/

I don't know why hostels aren't more of a thing in ski towns and the US in general. Always my go to outside the states. There's a hostel in breck but they charge $90 for a bunkbed!
    it's been a hard road in the US for a bit - the 3 ski hostels in CA I know of all closed in the late 90s. Two were turned into employee housing, the 3rd demolished for a new lift. I think couchsurfing/airbnb was really the nail in the coffin though

the hostel has been for sale for a few years now 2 or 3 million I think why not get into the hostel business

fyi there is a bus from silverthorne to the arapaho basin, not so sure where abay is, but it can take two buses and an hour to get there, same with silverthorne to copper

There's a free bus that will take you from Breck to ABasin.....takes 50 minutes. The Fireside Inn in Breck is close to the bus stop, so that's nice.
    Old's Cool.

Hostels in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post

Enjoy your trip.
    Not that it matters much but that bus is run by CDot not RTD

The hostel at Jackson Hole is pretty freaking awesome. It's very basic/rustic (unpainted plywood walls in the rooms, etc.) - don't expect anything remotely resembling luxury. But it's the only affordable place to stay in Teton Village (i.e. up on the hill, not down in Jackson itself). And it's literally like a 2 minute walk to both the tram and the Mangey Moose.

EDIT: duh, not in CO, lol!. Still worth knowing about though.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    The hostel at Jackson Hole is pretty freaking awesome. It's very basic/rustic (unpainted plywood walls in the rooms, etc.) - don't expect anything remotely resembling luxury. But it's the only affordable place to stay in Teton Village (i.e. up on the hill, not down in Jackson itself). And it's literally like a 2 minute walk to both the tram and the Mangey Moose.

EDIT: duh, not in CO, lol!. Still worth knowing about though.
    Now that’s good to know

It sounds like silverthorne is the closest to skiing. I’ve skied copper and a basin 1 day each and I liked a basin better just cus it felt less like Disney land. What will be more rad in early January?

Quote Originally Posted by bowboybb View Post
    <snip> What will be more rad in early January?
    Eldora.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Eldora.
    For sure. Especially the backside trees.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    For sure. Especially the backside trees.
    I don't know how Eldora has been able to fly under the radar for so long with the gnar they have...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I don't know how Eldora has been able to fly under the radar for so long with the gnar they have...
    it's better than it is given credit for. The terrain, not management.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    it's better than it is given credit for. The terrain, not management.
    Guess I should have added the .

Fucking Eldora...