Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bump ... anyone who used pin bindings for years and converted to Tesla, what am I missing by staying in the dark ages?

My 11-12 Spark Burners are on their last gasps of air. Yes, I'm still using tethered pins and shitty Voile pucks, but they get the job done for my needs and I'm not out there trying to rip 60-degree no-fall zones like a boss.

The main issue is I have 3 splitboards, so if the current old school tech works for me then it seems like the Blaze TR ($285) + Surge Highback ($50) is the way to go.

Or are there any other compelling reasons to spend a lot more money for Surges, new crampons, and 2x 2nd Board Kits?

The other part of the equation is I only splitboard about 6 days a year now, spending a lot more time on my AT skis and wanting to buy some new Maestrale RS2s ... in hindsight my question seems really dumb but the gear whore in me wants to know what I'm missing.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Wow I’m lost. My questions were oh so simple it seems, I’m almost ashamed.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    I have original light rails. They've been fine quality wise. Early on Voile replaced the buckles because they discovered a defect in the cam. I never had any issues though but they still gave me free parts unprompted. IME their CS is top notch.
    Same here and +1 for Voile customer service. The few times I've had issues they send new parts right away.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Same here and +1 for Voile customer service. The few times I've had issues they send new parts right away.
    Curious on your boot/binding sizes? I’m looking at K2 boots and got no clue how large they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Abad View Post
    Curious on your boot/binding sizes? I’m looking at K2 boots and got no clue how large they will be.
    .pretty sure binding manufacturers will provide a size guide for boot size vs binding size. I run medium bindings.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Blaze TR
    I have never owned a pair of Blazes but used to have access to a demo pair about 5 seasons ago. They always felt really, really good on the descent...very close to the board and connected feeling.

Union Expeditions are on the way, guess I'm the guinea pig.
    I'll provide some pros/cons after a few days out.

^ mine are boxed-up and on the way out Monday for a refund. They didn't pass the bench/carpet-jib test. I am definitely interested in reading what you decide.

PS. Union has been easy to work with on this, but a refund works in my best interest while whatever is up gets resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    ^ mine are boxed-up and on the way out Monday for a refund. They didn't pass the bench/carpet-jib test. I am definitely interested in reading what you decide.

PS. Union has been easy to work with on this, but a refund works in my best interest while whatever is up gets resolved.
    Failed as in they broke ?

^check post #22 upthread....too much movement in ride mode.

Bump ... anyone who used pin bindings for years and converted to Tesla, what am I missing by staying in the dark ages?

My 11-12 Spark Burners are on their last gasps of air. Yes, I'm still using tethered pins and shitty Voile pucks, but they get the job done for my needs and I'm not out there trying to rip 60-degree no-fall zones like a boss.

The main issue is I have 3 splitboards, so if the current old school tech works for me then it seems like the Blaze TR ($285) + Surge Highback ($50) is the way to go.

Or are there any other compelling reasons to spend a lot more money for Surges, new crampons, and 2x 2nd Board Kits?

The other part of the equation is I only splitboard about 6 days a year now, spending a lot more time on my AT skis and wanting to buy some new Maestrale RS2s ... in hindsight my question seems really dumb but the gear whore in me wants to know what I'm missing.
    You are missing the convenience of the tesla system. I think they might be a little lighter. The forward lean release mechanism might be better than what you have. The Blaze is easily adjustable because of the holes in the base plate. That's about it.

Expeditions received and mounted on a Rossignol Sushi. A few random observations.

The straps are real comfortable, as is the base. It feels like a standard snowboard binding.

Movement, I followed their instructions and put the screws on loose, put the pin in the bindings, and tightened the death out of them. There was some slight L-R action. Perm, it was a far cry from your video, but there was some movement. I emailed Union, quick to reply, and they mentioned there should be ~0.2mm tolerance out of the box, but ~0.02mm on the snow. I asked them how that happens, and they stated that the nylon within the pucks expands at cold temperatures. Don't shoot the messenger, but I certainly found that interesting.

The pull loop to release the pin is tiny, you may want to replace with something burlier.

1/21 UPDATE -

No noticeable L-R action when going down the hill.
    I like the easy transition to uphill mode. Twist the bindings off, reposition, slide the pin in and you're good to go.
    The heel lifts are quick to engage or release.

A few issues....the pull loop on the pin and the binding-pin cord suck. I've already tore one cord and the other is fraying (they give you 1 extra with the purchase). The pull loop is tiny and tough to get at when it's tucked into the binding base and packed full of snow. These need to be upgraded. As expected, the pucks do get some ice buildup, but nothing crazy.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 01-21-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    they stated that the nylon within the pucks expands at cold temperatures. Don't shoot the messenger, but I certainly found that interesting.
    I have heard that also. I am no scientist but that seems odd to me. Keep us posted on how they work out for you. It's a clean, simple setup for sure.

Hmmm, I don't think nylon expands when cold. It expands when moist/wet, but I think that's a slow process and I wonder how much material is there that it could reduce the slop by such a significant amount.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

It expands when moist/wet
    Try marketing that in a women's model.

I switched to the burton hitch hikers from spark blazes (i think).
    I was riding burton binders inbounds and liked the straps and highbacks so it was an easy choice for me.
    The Tesla system is great. I had some flex in the toe of the old blazes which was nice to get rid of. They definitely feel like they would work well in bounds for me which is always the feeling im trying to emulate. The single bar with multiple height options is also great. Would recommend to any of my friends.

The other thing that really grabbed me about the burton ones was that you can go into any town any where in the world and find burton spare parts. Very handy in Japan/Nepal/Chile whereas you may find Karo in one shop in one town 500km away.