Page 195 of 266 FirstFirst ... 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    What is decent rent?
    Anything less than $2400 would be welcome. That said, it's even better if I can save some coin. All I really need is a safe comfortable room, wifi/cell coverage, parking, and ease of access to the slopes.

I'm thinking something by myself but would be open to a group sort of thing if folks were mostly professional. I do like to let loose but I'll be working most weekday mornings starting at 0500-0600 so would need to actually get some sleep.

Thanks for the recommendations and ideas all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Anything less than $2400 would be welcome. That said, it's even better if I can save some coin. All I really need is a safe comfortable room, wifi/cell coverage, parking, and ease of access to the slopes.

I'm thinking something by myself but would be open to a group sort of thing if folks were mostly professional. I do like to let loose but I'll be working most weekday mornings starting at 0500-0600 so would need to actually get some sleep.

Thanks for the recommendations and ideas all.
    I’d pick a ski town, with lots of ski in/out. I bet you could find something in that price range in Steamboat.
    It’s not the radest hill, but it gets really good snow and it’s a good place to perfect your powder technique.

I work early and then catch first chair, everyday.
    Mornings the best time to ski until late spring.

I still have to be available all day. I keep my I phone warm in an inside pocket and use the Apple Watch/Beats x. I can screen all my communication from my wrist and don’t have to take my phone out, till I get on the Gondi.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Experienced it last year, hippie. Water finds it own level. Close down a few resorts after a storm, everyone will crowd into the remaining Ikon hills. Fuck, it was an hour traffic jam just to get to DV.
    hippie local pro tip bro
    ifin yur gonna spend an hour or 2 in traffic or deal with lcc shutdown crowds
    i15 n to inkom
    more tater boxes in the daylodge than bodies in lift line

we had a great weekend skiing untracked pocetelly potatoes pow pows that storm cycle

sorry we missed you and the ikonic goon shows of bros that dont knows how to git out of the flows that ensued

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I’d pick a ski town, with lots of ski in/out. I bet you could find something in that price range in Steamboat.
    It’s not the radest hill, but it gets really good snow and it’s a good place to perfect your powder technique.

I work early and then catch first chair, everyday.
    Mornings the best time to ski until late spring.

I still have to be available all day. I keep my I phone warm in an inside pocket and use the Apple Watch/Beats x. I can screen all my communication from my wrist and don’t have to take my phone out, till I get on the Gondi.
    This is good advice the boat is a great place. I really like the mountain tree skiing is great the runs are long you can get a lot of skiing in quickly. If you get a place near the resort don’t have to worry about driving or parking.

Look into first tracks at Wildhorse Meadows there are some longer term rentals in there. We have our own gondola that drops us in the main village.

I think Steamboat is the most overrated skiing in CO. Great with fresh snow, but snow surface preservation is terrible.......80% of the terrain faces S-W. If it's been sunny and warm the mountain doesn't hold up very well. To each their own. The town is great tho.

::ducks::

ETA: I'd pick Winter Park as an Ikonic home base.....very similar snowfall numbers and better skiing day in and day out, IMO. The terrain faces N-E. Berthoud Pass is just up the road and it's pretty easy to chase a handful of storms down Hwy 40 to Steamboat. However, the town is definitely not on par with the 'Boat.

Or Frisco, make Copper your home mountain, get some days at ABasin and chase some storms to Steamboat.

Or SLC and make Solitude your home mountain and use those days to AltaBird.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 10-09-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    Old's Cool.

I hadn't really considered Steamboat but that does sound like a decent option. Thanks for the suggestions. Would have to go from base to unlimited but that's not a huge deal.

I generally would prefer the Utah resorts just because I've been to Steamboat a number of times and only gotten a small taste of Utah, but the pain of going to/from home/work to skiing might make a mountainside place in a town like Steamboat a lot more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    I think Steamboat is the most overrated skiing in CO. Great with fresh snow, but snow surface preservation is terrible.......80% of the terrain faces S-W. If it's been sunny and warm the mountain doesn't hold up very well. To each their own. The town is great tho.

::ducks::

ETA: I'd pick Winter Park as an Ikonic home base.....very similar snowfall numbers and better skiing day in and day out, IMO. The terrain faces N-E. Berthoud Pass is just up the road and it's pretty easy to chase a handful of storms down Hwy 40 to Steamboat. However, the town is definitely not on par with the 'Boat.

Or Frisco, make Copper your home mountain, get some days at ABasin and chase some storms to Steamboat.

Or SLC and make Solitude your home mountain and use those days to AltaBird.
    I agree. I enjoy the Boat, and dig the town, but the skiing has never blown me away. WP is better IMO too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Meh...I've always been a 'Boat homer. A+ trees, big dumps, excellent flow and playful terrain. The steeps are short, but sweet. When it's dry, it does sour fast.

WP - it's best for bump freaks and tele dudes. B+ trees, decent dumps, terrible flow. Terrain is more varied but there is usually a long cattrack and/or traverse involved. I hope you like Egress and Corona Way.

For a full winter of CO Ikon life, I'd rank them 1) Steamboat 2) Copper 3) Winter Park.

Rotate Steamboat 180 degrees and my opinion is different. I just find that primarily South to West aspect a killer in terms of snow surface quality for day in and day out skiing. It's sorta like having a mountain that's only the back bowls at Vail (no BSB or front side). Obviously, the 'Boat is setup waaaaay better than Vail overall, which is catwalk heaven.
    Chasing a big storm, tho? You betcha!

Admittedly, I place a big emphasis on snow surface quality, which is why I'm a bit of a Breck homer....love that smooth, velvet snow in the high alpine. Loveland gets it too.
    Anyways, different strokes......
    Old's Cool.

Yep - its a very fair critique. If you also care about big alpine terrain, you'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    I hadn't really considered Steamboat but that does sound like a decent option. Thanks for the suggestions. Would have to go from base to unlimited but that's not a huge deal.

I generally would prefer the Utah resorts just because I've been to Steamboat a number of times and only gotten a small taste of Utah, but the pain of going to/from home/work to skiing might make a mountainside place in a town like Steamboat a lot more enjoyable.
    When are you trying to move? My lease ends Jan 31..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I agree. I enjoy the Boat, and dig the town, but the skiing has never blown me away. WP is better IMO too.
    Yas! Winter Park is lit... the town is boring af tho.

SLC is good, more options, and plenty of food options. But damn that morning commute up the canyon is so demoralizing and stressful, especially on powder days. I've never been to a mountain with more any control safety closures than Alta, both the resort and the canyon road.

Also, SLC is the best if you plan on chasing as pretty much everything is a 5-8 hour drive in any direction.

Reno is great too, but I'd do Ikon and Epic to really make it worth it.

Alterra Mountain CEO on upcoming ski season: Sales are unbelievably strong.

interview with Rusty

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/alte....tsrc=fin-srch

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Rotate Steamboat 180 degrees and my opinion is different. I just find that primarily South to West aspect a killer in terms of snow surface quality for day in and day out skiing. It's sorta like having a mountain that's only the back bowls at Vail (no BSB or front side). Obviously, the 'Boat is setup waaaaay better than Vail overall, which is catwalk heaven.
    Chasing a big storm, tho? You betcha!

Admittedly, I place a big emphasis on snow surface quality, which is why I'm a bit of a Breck homer....love that smooth, velvet snow in the high alpine. Loveland gets it too.
    Anyways, different strokes......
    The aspect and elevation are killers. But those trees...both the south/SW facing aspen groves and the dark, cold, powder choked pine forests facing north are magical at SS.

Agree about the alpine though. I would miss it greatly if SS was the only mtn I could ski. There’s something so special about the alpine.

All good advice in here. The Wasatch is great I lived there for 10 years skied a ton. Hard to beat Little Cottonwood.

Also spent 3 years living in Big Cottonwood in Silver Fork. Kept a boot pack in up to the honeycomb return and would skate down to the quad. You could look for rentals up there.

For Copper WP and Steamboat they are all different and have pluses and minuses. WP does have a ton of bumps but once you learn the trees there some really great lines that do not see a ton of traffic. I really like Copper also long runs on the Super Bee side.

Steamboat is hard to beat on a powder day though especially if you know where to go and it has some pretty amazing side country as well. I get the aspect issue in Steamboat and it does lack the steeps but overall experience is hard to beat plus it typically stays pretty cold in the winter so the snow holds. I find it less busy and the tourists don’t ski off the groomers.

IKON: "Sales are unbelievably strong"
    Epic: Number of passes sold up 18%
    BC: Gear is "flying off the shelves"

Crazy how all of these are happening concurrently.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseBrooklyn View Post

interview with Rusty

Rusty doesn't seem to be much of a reader.

Interesting swag this year--tattoos, fridge magnet, in addition to the bumper sticker. What a lot of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseBrooklyn View Post

interview with Rusty

Demand won't be the issue. File that under, No Shit, Sherlock.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Funny. I think Winter Park is the most overrated resort in CO. The terrain is... ok. Steamboat, to me, skis like Winter Park with a bunch of subtle but substantive improvements that really add up. I can see how the aspect could be an issue, especially later in the season, though.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Funny. I think Winter Park is the most overrated resort in CO. The terrain is... ok. Steamboat, to me, skis like Winter Park with a bunch of subtle but substantive improvements that really add up. I can see how the aspect could be an issue, especially later in the season, though.
    Aspect + altitude (Steamboat).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Steamboat’s a nice town, further from Denver and closer to the restricted Ikons. They had a really good season last year with frequent dumps and cold temps.

Spending a winter in Olympic Valley would probably be the ultimate Ikon Base destination. But probably out of the OP’s budget.

Steamboat’s a nice town, further from Denver and closer to the restricted Ikons. They had a really good season last year with frequent dumps and cold temps.

Spending a winter in Olympic Valley would probably be the ultimate Ikon Base destination. But probably out of the OP’s budget.
    Temps going back up to summer levels by the middle of next week. I wouldn't advise anyone to make big plans for skiing in the Tahoe area this coming winter, or in winters to come. The basil and tomatoes on my deck are still hanging on though, so there is an upside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8856D547-0BB8-422E-86FB-559F4D4C965F.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	751.1 KB 
ID:	343090

Pretty certain were all eff’D..... early AM shot of foliage rides on the Stratton Gondola. No one is geared up & such, so this will only be a longer line come winter.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8856D547-0BB8-422E-86FB-559F4D4C965F.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	751.1 KB 
ID:	343090

Pretty certain were all eff’D..... early AM shot of foliage rides on the Stratton Gondola. No one is geared up & such, so this will only be a longer line come winter.
    70 degrees Saturday of a long weekend at stratton. Shitshow to be avoided. Like a powder day Saturday of president weekend. Shitshow.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms