Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

4frnt sold, again

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere:

https://freeskier.com/product-review...ell-4frnt-skis

Glad its not going to some big conglomerate but a little disappointing to see yet another sale of the company. We’ll see how it all shakes out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, the 4FRNT/ J Ski sidewalk sales that Levinthal held in Burlington were legendary. They make some bomber skis, hope that doesn’t change

i hope hoji is getting his through all of this

3 years to polish it up and try to sell to a large, financially healthy sports brand. No Wall street guy gets into a ski company for the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    3 years to polish it up and try to sell to a large, financially healthy sports brand. No Wall street guy gets into a ski company for the long run.
    Unfortunately I think you’re probably right on

Yeah but he stabilized it, from what I hear. So hope the new guys can keep it running smooth and bring the passion... and keep hoji on board. While they hopefully keep the ski line up tight and clean for financial reasons, I also crave a limited run of EHP Pilsners! Bring it, I need a 4th EHP oair in the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by ABinThe603 View Post
    Damn, the 4FRNT/ J Ski sidewalk sales that Levinthal held in Burlington were legendary. They make some bomber skis, hope that doesn’t change
    @ABinThe603 give us a shout if you're in town and in need, we usually have something kicking around the office. Still in the same spot for now 😉

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    i hope hoji is getting his through all of this
    Hoji is around and committed to the new ownership! Just resigned a 3 year contract 👊

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    Yeah but he stabilized it, from what I hear. So hope the new guys can keep it running smooth and bring the passion... and keep hoji on board. While they hopefully keep the ski line up tight and clean for financial reasons, I also crave a limited run of EHP Pilsners! Bring it, I need a 4th EHP oair in the garage!
    We've got some stuff cooking...stay tuned

thumbs and antennae up

Quote Originally Posted by 4FRNT_Skis View Post
    This year ?

reissuing a classic ski like the EHP might make sense in a few different ways. Good luck fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    This year ?
    Won't be for 20/21 but keep your eyes peeled....

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    reissuing a classic ski like the EHP might make sense in a few different ways. Good luck fellas.
    What is the strongest think about the EHP for you? Have you skied any of Eric's current skis? Just trying to understand the demand for bringing back the EHP in addition to his current line. Stoked to hear your input!

What is the strongest think about the EHP for you? Have you skied any of Eric's current skis? Just trying to understand the demand for bringing back the EHP in addition to his current line. Stoked to hear your input!
    In my opinion the strength of the EHP was it's versatility and strength as an inbounds ski.

The current hoji is too rockered and light to work as well as the old EHP did inbounds.

The 40m turn radius was also fun

+1, the current Hoji is too rockered. Also, the Ren is too wide for semi pow days in the alps, when it’s icy at the bottom of the slopes, but the Hoji is a bit too narrow 116mm is perfect.

Haven’t skied the EHP but agree that the light weight of the current hoji/ren is what has kept me away. Have you all thought about splitting Hoji’s line into touring & resort? Would love to try a ren at ~2200g in a 184 and ~2350 for the 191.

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Haven’t skied the EHP but agree that the light weight of the current hoji/ren is what has kept me away. Have you all thought about splitting Hoji’s line into touring & resort? Would love to try a ren at ~2200g in a 184 and ~2350 for the 191.

Those are the weights of the older models which are what built the reputation of the Renegade.
    Such good skis.

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Haven’t skied the EHP but agree that the light weight of the current hoji/ren is what has kept me away. Have you all thought about splitting Hoji’s line into touring & resort?
    The ren is a really fun ski in soft untracked. It is not a good resort ski IMO because it's a handful after it gets cut up and mogul-out (11AM on a pow day?). I haven't skied anything else that is so on/off. Reference is old owls and OG whiteroom versions BTW.

^^ good feedback, thx

4frnt sold, again

I think reissuing a ski like that, perhaps with some minor updates and/or size revisions might get some of your long-time customers and fans of the brand all jazzed up again.

I currently have in the rotation: 187 Hoji cir 2013-2014 and 186 EHP Chinese watercolor cir 2009

I have owned: 193 EHP watercolor, 196 Renegade 2014, 184 and 194 Devastators (I should be on an 188-190 of that ski IMO). I’d probably still own the longer ones if I were taller and/or didn’t lose a bunch of weight. I’m about 5’7’’ 174 lbs now, down from around 190-200 when I purchased those skis. ETA forgot I completely wrecked a pair of 181 Switchblades, which are awesome skis for more that just park skiing. Probably some others I’m forgetting. I loved all of these skis.

Some of the guys nailed it upthread, but to me it was the combination of being a great pow ski for 116uf but also adept in cut up powder and even crud. It has an unapologetic take on the way it skis— this is a large radius, heavy, fairly stiff soft snow ski. ‘’These are not tip and turn dentist skis,’’ I think I read once around here. But once you get the hang of skiing them, I think (the 186) is actually one of the most playful pow skis I’ve ever tried, it’s just nimble and comfortable to ski in a variety of softer conditions. The 193 is a different animal and I would classify as a pure ‘’big mountain ski.’’
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 10-01-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    this is a large radius, heavy, fairly stiff soft snow ski. ‘’These are not tip and turn dentist skis,’’ I think I read once around here. But once you get the hang of skiing them, I think (the 186) is actually one of the most playful pow skis I’ve ever tried, it’s just nimble and comfortable to ski in a variety of softer conditions.
    I have read this before referring to the EHP, always had my interest piqued. Just never had the ability to hop on a pair and give them a spin. One day maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    The ren is a really fun ski in soft untracked. It is not a good resort ski IMO because it's a handful after it gets cut up and mogul-out (11AM on a pow day?). I haven't skied anything else that is so on/off. Reference is old owls and OG whiteroom versions BTW.
    I would concur with this statement. I love my Raven 2.0 and Owls very much, but like you said; they're brutal once things get tracked out.

I'd also add that they have a sink-to-the-bottom characteristic when you ski them in anything but coastal snowpack. For some context, when I've skied them at places like Big Sky; unless it was really deep, you were skiing the bottom of the snow due to the low-density snow. Contrast that with a few days I've had on them on Mt Hood and heli-skiing in Revelstoke where they shined. The denser, more buoyant snow really allowed them to shine as I suspect that's the type of snow for which Hoji designed.

I loved my EHP and wish I hadn't sold them. A repress, even just 186 only would be great.

I also really liked the EHP. But I've also had a pair of the 189 hot-rod vomit Turbos since they were new. They're not a 10/10 anywhere, but they're a Solid 7 everywhere.

What really intrigues me is if you took a Turbo profile and put it in the EHP press. I think THAT would be the tits.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot