0 0%
  • Farmers lifts day not on Marxh 22

3 50.00%
  • Lift served guiding, clarify below

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

EUROBBI 19: Guided Objectives

The other guide poll indicates we have 7 committed and 3 more interested, so let me try to make this more specific.
    There are a number of big lines to ski around Andermatt, the Oberalpstock being one of the biggest. There's other ones, like the Rossbodenstock, which don't have much in the way of lift assist or the Riezenstock which drops down to Goeschenen. There also seems to be interest in being guided off the lifts. So pick one of the following options in the poll, or reply with other stuff.

This is a public, multiple choice, so other posters can see your choice. If the choice above has some flexibility, please make a note in a reply below.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I'd 100% like to ski the Oberalpstock with a guide.

The other 2 sound interesting, a guide to show perhaps a big line or 2 off Gemsstock would be neat. The farm lift thing has also always intrigued me, as an American we can't seem to even get our existing chairlifts upgraded and yet in Europe cow farmers have them kind of like we have tractors.

So I'd be committed to the Oberalpstock idea and the other 2 things are more like if the snow/group/potential terrain all are of interest more in the moment.

Mar22 is my bday. To which says I, whichever option provides the best snow.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I should have noted that a guide costs about $650US/day. I think Danny likes to have a max 4-5 people per guide, so things can get expensive.

vendul did offer to get the TGoms tram going, a small tram more or less across the street from his hotel which serves a restaurant in summer and accesses a cool North facing line which we an do without a guide I think. Other than that, there's a number of zones that can be explored.

Also, keep in mind venduls offer to go to St. Moritz, which is an awesome, awesome collection of big ski areas well worth visiting.

Let's get some more votes in and see where people are at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Mar22 is my bday. To which says I, whichever option provides the best snow.
    dang.

yeah, well, shit, should we just wing it then?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    vendul did offer to get the TGoms tram going, a small tram more or less across the street from his hotel which serves a restaurant in summer and accesses a cool North facing line which we an do without a guide I think. Other than that, there's a number of zones that can be explored.

Also, keep in mind venduls offer to go to St. Moritz, which is an awesome, awesome collection of big ski areas well worth visiting.
    dang.

yeah, well, shit, should we just wing it then?
    Honestly I'm leaning toward not preplanning too much and just going with the flow of Vendul's suggestions/connections when we're there. I believe that's what our patron saint Baker Bob would want us to do.

It could just be me mis-interprting, but the zone around that lift is in protected wilderness area? Unless the thinking is to tour from the top around the protected area.

Cause otherwise I would be super into that if there was a pre-BBI (~16 or 17th) group touring day.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  93.3 KB

ok. I admit I'm focused on doing the Oberalpstock with a guide and would like to have that arranged.

If it's storming, that run is out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    It could just be me mis-interprting, but the zone around that lift is in protected wilderness area? Unless the thinking is to tour from the top around the protected area.

Views: 288
Size:  93.3 KB
    I think the objective is going up that ridge, but I defer to vendul.

Cause otherwise I would be super into that if there was a pre-BBI (~16 or 17th) group touring day.
    I would very much like to do this but I won't get there until the night of the 17th. norse and mofro pull in on the 18th when you're off on the Urning man

I think the objective is going up that ridge, but I defer to vendul.

I would very much like to do this but I won't get there until the night of the 17th. norse and mofro pull in on the 18th.
    Ah yeah, I'm seeing that now. Probably looks something like this. Works out to about 4500' of descent after about 2800' of climbing.

Views: 315
Size:  105.7 KB

Ah yeah, I'm seeing that now. Probably looks something like this. Works out to about 4500' of descent after about 2800' of climbing.

Views: 315
Size:  105.7 KB
    yeah, piz maler.
    a good return on investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I'd 100% like to ski the Oberalpstock with a guide.

The other 2 sound interesting, a guide to show perhaps a big line or 2 off Gemsstock would be neat. The farm lift thing has also always intrigued me, as an American we can't seem to even get our existing chairlifts upgraded and yet in Europe cow farmers have them kind of like we have tractors.

So I'd be committed to the Oberalpstock idea and the other 2 things are more like if the snow/group/potential terrain all are of interest more in the moment.
    This is basically me as well. I'll be there with a buddy and we are both hoping to do at least one larger objective. The Oberalpstock looks killer and it would be nice to split costs with more than just 2 of us. The rest of the time I am down to chase the best snow be it a longer tour, lift serve or side country.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    This is basically me as well. I'll be there with a buddy and we are both hoping to do at least one larger objective. The Oberalpstock looks killer and it would be nice to split costs with more than just 2 of us. The rest of the time I am down to chase the best snow be it a longer tour, lift serve or side country.
    ^^This. What do I vote on? the first 4 options? Would be up without a guide, too, but more fun to go with the group -> in for guided.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    ^^This. What do I vote on? the first 4 options? Would be up without a guide, too, but more fun to go with the group -> in for guided.

I'm seeing if there's an agreement on which days and objectives we would want a guide, if any. I would like to be able to ask Danny to set aside a guide for us if there's agreement.

Personally, I'm comfortable just skiing around with folks at both Andermatt and Disentis, including the tours or sidecountry there, except the Oberalpstock where I think I would like to be shown how to do it.

If there's no real consensus, we can try to react to the situation there as things develop.

Voted for either Oberalpstock or different big line on 3/22 or another day. I'd like to do at least one day with a guide on some sort of "big line" or classic can't-miss tour in the area. I'm pretty flexible on dates but 3/22 happens to work out really well with the days I have booked at vendul's lodge.

Pazzolastock, rossbodenstock and Maler are great lines, but wouldn’t say you need a guide for... I’ll try to take as much time off as I can to show arrow and drive to other resorts if wanted... it all depends on how many Maggots will be here ( if I have a full hose of Maggots than I could be around with you skiing all day!!!:-):-):-))

My ski days are the 18-22nd and Oberalpstock or any other group decided tour are fine with me

I think we're getting queued up for the Oberalpstock on the 22nd, unless conditions require pow skiing elsewhere.

Looks like Dan (Loutrel) won't leave on the Urner until the 19th, so maybe we can get him on the 18th? Any interest?

I think we're getting queued up for the Oberalpstock on the 22nd, unless conditions require pow skiing elsewhere.

Looks like Dan (Loutrel) won't leave on the Urner until the 19th, so maybe we can get him on the 18th? Any interest?
    If it lines up I would likely be interested. Be nice to ski with him prior to the Urner.

Wait, are some of you doing the Urner after Disentis?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Wait, are some of you doing the Urner after Disentis?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I think just me. I'm leaving with Andermatt Guides (run by Dan, but I haven't heard who is leading the trip yet). Its the 19-23rd.

A slight variation on the classic route from what I can tell. Looks like the team hooked up some pretty nice accomodations along the way too including this on the 2nd night: https://www.gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch/. (Huh -- maybe the same Dan is a co-owner of Andermatt guides as this hotel? https://www.gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch/restaurant/)

They still have spots available if anyone wants to come along. 1240 CHF (+24CHF for non alpine club members) for the guiding, lodging and half board.

If it lines up I would likely be interested. Be nice to ski with him prior to the Urner.
    I just pinged him to see if he wants to ski on the 18th.

I think just me. I'm leaving with Andermatt Guides (run by Dan, but I haven't heard who is leading the trip yet). Its the 19-23rd.

A slight variation on the classic route from what I can tell. Looks like the team hooked up some pretty nice accomodations along the way too including this on the 2nd night: https://www.gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch/. (Huh -- maybe the same Dan is a co-owner of Andermatt guides as this hotel? https://www.gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch/restaurant/)

They still have spots available if anyone wants to come along. 1240 CHF (+24CHF for non alpine club members) for the guiding, lodging and half board.
    Yeah, Dan and Sereigna run Gasthaus Goeshenernalp. It's nice, incredible view up valley.

This was last July:

I’d be down for a tour on the 22nd. I just need to catch a train that evening to parts unknown. I’ll probably have that hammered out this week and hopefully there is a later train I can catch.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I’d be down for a tour on the 22nd. I just need to catch a train that evening to parts unknown. I’ll probably have that hammered out this week and hopefully there is a later train I can catch.
    I'm in the same boat on the 22nd, but heading back to ZRH that evening.

I think if conditions are good, the Oberalpstock is the goal that day. vendul has indicated that baggage transfers to the exit point from the Oberalpstock, Bristen valley, will be available. Exit elevation is about 500 meters, Oberalpstock is 3300+ meters.

Well done. Free ride Mecca into classic traverse. That’s a real season.