Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gun Mags: Best 1911 Clone on a budget?

Looking for a .45, settled on the 1911 for a few reasons (heft and feel in my hands mainly). Would rather not spend $1200 if there are viable options in the $600 to $1000 range.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

You might get lucky and find a Springfield Armory Loaded for a good price. I've seen them used under $1000. In all honesty though, it's a gamble even at $1200 if the guns gonna run or not. If you're just getting it for plinking and fun, then that's not such a big deal. It you're getting it for any sort of defensive roll, then it's a very big deal.
    1911's are great guns and the only sidearm I carry now. Just keep in mind they can be kind of a money pit at first.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    You might get lucky and find a Springfield Armory Loaded for a good price. I've seen them used under $1000. In all honesty though, it's a gamble even at $1200 if the guns gonna run or not. If you're just getting it for plinking and fun, then that's not such a big deal. It you're getting it for any sort of defensive roll, then it's a very big deal.
    1911's are great guns and the only sidearm I carry now. Just keep in mind they can be kind of a money pit at first.

Might have found a Springfield Mil Spec 1911-A1 for $700...

Also looking at a Taurus PT 1911, but have a bad feeling abut some of the wear marks for a slightly used gun.

Care to elaborate on the "money pit at first?"
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

I have bought all of my 1911s used. The SA Loaded is a very nice option, and new or used, it sells in your price range. Even in Kalifornia. I had some work performed on mine: reliability work; new trigger and trigger job (approx. 4.5 lb break); new sights (with gold bead mounted in front); right sided safety (I hate ambi safeties!). I hate the screw out guide rod, however. But that can be replaced with a standard GI configuration.

A few years ago, I bought a 15-year-old unused Kimber Classic at a gun show, for like $800 or so. Wonderful gun! It remains my favorite 1911. This gun was made prior to Kimber introducing their Series II pistols with the Swartz firing pin safeties.

With respect to the "money pit" comment, the so called "lower end" 1911s do require a bit of care and feeding. The reliability work that I mentioned earlier in this post was necessary because my gun wouldn't reliably feed certain defensive loads (and occasionally standard ball ammo), and it had a few failures to eject. The trigger was also fairly heavy, and the trigger, itself, was kinda loosey-goosey. Some 1911s come with grip safeties that are uncomfortable to certain users (my Colt is like this, currently). So, in essence, 1911s are like hot rods or 4X4s- you modify to suit your preferences and pleasures.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I hear the Springfield Armory Loaded is tits for fighting off wolves you may encounter on the skintrack.

Meh, 1911s are money pits if you want them to perform to the standard of modern sidearms.
    Or you can run them loose and dirty. I like shooting them though. Last time I was looking (a couple years ago) you could find used Springfield Armory GIs for $650 or less. They go bang. Never understood spending HK money on a 1911 though, unless it's for sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Meh, 1911s are money pits if you want them to perform to the standard of modern sidearms.
    Or you can run them loose and dirty. I like shooting them though. Last time I was looking (a couple years ago) you could find used Springfield Armory GIs for $650 or less. They go bang. Never understood spending HK money on a 1911 though, unless it's for sentiment.
    Recomend me something else?

I like the heft and fit of the 1911. Can't stand any Glock i have picked up (2 or 3) as they all feel unbalanced and light. Wasn't crazy about the S&W M&P (IIRC) that I handled last night.

HK45, reliable, accurate, smooth. Try and find a place where you can go blast one.

I carry the M&P45c (g19 size frame, .45 holes) and the M&Ps need to have the trigger replaced, after that they rock, in my opinion. I've run several hundred rounds through mine and have not have any misfires, across any ammo. Occasionally I wipe it down and lube it.

I prefer Sig Sauer to HK just based on the grip (of the models I've held), but to each his own. Both make good weapons. Much nicer than Glock, IMO (and priced accordingly). Though I did get used to my Glock (christmas gift), and thought it shot fine after I adjusted to the trigger pull and plastic feel. It's a little more balanced with a full mag. Don't want to be patronizing--you probably already know this, but it really comes down to shooting enough that you get comfortable with the weapon. Agree with Xavier, go find a place you can try a few modern .45s out.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I am a Colt guy through, and through, my dad always had colts.
    I also have a Springfield A1. Brother just sent it today though, so not sure about the shooting part.
    My wife just qualified with the Para Expert borrowed from a friend. It shot tiny groups at 25yds. The instructor said he has been seeing alot of these, and he was very impressed with them.
    I ordered one, and received it today. It is the first purchase of handgun I ever made, all my handguns are handed down
    I ran every load I have, which runs from 3 different hollowpoints, to ball ammo, 185-230grns, no problems.
    I don't think you can get a better 1911 for the money.
    Last edited by LeeC; 04-23-2014 at 09:52 PM.

My preference is also SIGs - P220 or the new P227. As far as budget 1911s go, I've heard good things about the Ruger SR1911 - it can be had for around $650. The Smith and Wesson E-series is also nice and can be had for around $850.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Occasionally I wipe it down and lube it.
    huh huh huh... huh huh...

(sorry, carry on)

I just shot the M&P45 fullsize for the first time and really enjoyed it. 1911's have their place, but I'd prefer a little more capacity personally. (I think if you are "1911 guy" you already know it. Sounds like you're a little unsure.)

The balance of polymer guns tends to change once you load a magazine up. Don't forget how much weight a full mag of 10-15 rounds will add and balance things out.

Is there a range you could go to and rent a bunch of guns and shoot them? For instance I thought I was metal da/sa gun guy until I got to shoot a bunch of striker fired polymer guns and realized I am more accurate and can string quicker shot groups together. What my eyes are drawn toward at the gun counter isn't necessarily what works for me in use. (There is a reason why polymer guns are so popular.)

Don't want to be patronizing--you probably already know this, but it really comes down to shooting enough that you get comfortable with the weapon. Agree with Xavier, go find a place you can try a few modern .45s out.
    Save the money on the gun and buy more ammo, mags and good holster. More trigger time the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    (I think if you are "1911 guy" you already know it. Sounds like you're a little unsure.)
    I'm sure I like the 1911,I shot, first pistol I shot in fact. Hated the glock in .45 (can't remember model). Just not sure about the price, this will be the first gun I have ever paid retail for....

Wish there was a range or shop where I could just go shoot. Having trouble finding more then 1-2 .45s in a shop to even handle.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    I'm sure I like the 1911,I shot, first pistol I shot in fact. Hated the glock in .45 (can't remember model). Just not sure about the price, this will be the first gun I have ever paid retail for....

Wish there was a range or shop where I could just go shoot. Having trouble finding more then 1-2 .45s in a shop to even handle.
    Probably the Glock 21. I don't like glocks, the grip angle is weird for me and it is super fat. I really like 1911s too. If you like them you should buy one. Another gun to consider (polymer) in the FN FNX45. Really nice gun, comes with 3 mags, grip angle is 1911ish. That's what I'm buying next. :-)

My though is if you're closer to the $1000 range, a nice Colt or Kimber isn't too far out of reach. Those will have great resale value if you decide you want to change your mind and get something different.

Probably the Glock 21. I don't like glocks, the grip angle is weird for me and it is super fat. I really like 1911s too. If you like them you should buy one. Another gun to consider (polymer) in the FN FNX45. Really nice gun, comes with 3 mags, grip angle is 1911ish. That's what I'm buying next. :-)
    Yes, Glock 21. And you are spot on with how the grip felt in my hand. Something about the 1911 feels right every time I handle one.

My though is if you're closer to the $1000 range, a nice Colt or Kimber isn't too far out of reach. Those will have great resale value if you decide you want to change your mind and get something different.
    Trying to stay south of the $1k mark. Handled a lower end Kimber at the shop (owner's son won it at a match, not for sale) and was not impressed.

Sort of a tossup between the Springfield Service Loaded PX9151LP ($800 online plus $40 local FFL fee) and the Sig 1911-45-NI ($909 after FFL Fees). I like the Sig because of the nite sights, rail may be a plus too, but on the fence there.

I would avoid sigs because they are not standard 1911 dimensions, thus limiting holsters and other parts. I thought about buying one when they were including a free 1911 in .22

I bought an fnx45 tonight. :-) stoked.

If the G21 isn't a good fit, it isn't. But, watch these two vids before you drop a dime on a 1911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYAnhDE46BE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oX3FMT9TBA

The last one on simple Glock mods might address your problems.

I ended up with a S&W M&P45 last night. Price was right, gun feels great in my hand.

I finally found a shop with enough variety that I could get a sense of what I like beyond the 1911. A really nice 1911 is still on my list though....

Nice choice! Now go pick this up- https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid35.html

Nice choice. Agree on the apex trigger.

Sitting on my Amazon wishlist...

With what I have put on the card this month (truck registration and insurance, Osprey pack, gun and normal shit) the rewards point swill probably take care of the cost!

It certainly makes a loud noise....

I need to work on my trigger control. 12/20 on target at 10 yds isn't so great. Was getting more consistent but was running out of light.

I found this video to be helpful in cleaning up my stance. Dryfire practice has really helped me clean up my shooting. Get to know your trigger- where it breaks, what the reset feels like, etc. You should be able to dryfire without any movement of the handgun from the target you've acquired.

Funny:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qualification-target-you-suck.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	154861

Helpful:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	154862

ball and dummy is the way to go. Have a friend load the mag so you don't know where the dummy is. Your trigger movement will become apparent.