Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The sounds of Jet engines in the valley

Heard one but we don't have jet service in the Bulkley valley so when you hear a jet it can only mean one thing

Its the start of the steelhead season and some captain of industry flew in with his gulfstream
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I do the time honored ski bum job of running shuttles so they can catch & release the steelhead and with the money they give me ... I buy fish

Those dudes sure do stand out on Main Street. Almost as much as the treeplanters do, although I believe most of them occupy the opposite end of the socio-economic spectrum. I kind of like the steelhead crowd, jets and all. They add a nice, worldly element to our town each spring. They are very good for the local economy. Not to mention that they are all pretty much stoked on life and what they are doing so that is pretty cool. I have noticed they are always very complimentary of our valley. And they put some extra spending money in xxx-er s pocket, which can only be a good thing as far as I am concerned.

I heard them jets again, welcome to another year of steelheading on the Bulkley, but it sounds like nobody is catching very much

OTOH there must be a lot of people trying cuz I'm busy with a shuttle every morning and sometimes 2

Those are the people you want. We have been discovered by the RV crowd with the freezer in the back.
    off your knees Louie

Lots of albertans take their freezers out on the ocean to stock up but the Bulkley steelhead fishery all catch n release its also world renowned so guys with lots of coin just come every year, they spend huge wads of cash ... basicly for the bragging rights

Also did some shuttles on the Morice last year for the 1st time, I gots to charge more money for that but the fishing appeared to be pretty good at least for my group.

For people with lesser means It would be easy to do a fish camp on the cheap/rough at the 10$ a night By-mac campground and work a shuttle with whomever is camped there and there are lots of other fisherman camping

The sounds of Jet engines in the valley

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    , but it sounds like nobody is catching very much
    Maybe they are doing it wrong? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4579.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	212765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4504.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	212767

well done councilor! Duno, the couple of guides i have talked to said nothings happening but both Steve & I are still crazy busy doing the shuttles which has to translates to good business for the town eh

^ I think it is a guide thing.
    Oh know - no fish biting, don't bother going out to the river.

I love my guide friends, but really, anyone with a credit card, access to google earth can find fish up here. (to be clear I am not saying that a good guide isn't worth - cause if you can afford it and have limited time why not eh!) But I can see why they would want to downplay the fishing for the locals. We know all the same spots, and are likely to be just as successful.

I just got back into it last year, know absolutely nothing, have been told I have the wrong equipment, don't own a boat - yet still have no problem catching fish. I can see a guide not wanting me to share the good holes with his clients. Sort of takes away from their experience.

My bud Tony was a guide for years but quit cuz he ended up hating it, sez not much is happening, talked to another guide at safeway they work weekends cuz its the only way a non resident can fish also said it was bleak but IME as the guy who talks to them fishermen every morning i think some of these guys can fish and some of them just have the fancy gear

ran into a client today at safeway, big mucky mucky lawyer from seattle, buddy caught 2 maybe you legal types are good at calling them to the bar ...the sand bar

^ maybe we just lie?

Heard that Tony's last guiding day was epic.

Remember seeing one of those guide guys across the bulkley from me in the rain - holding up an overweight octogenarian who got tangled every other cast - and thinking that guy was earning his tip. Although they weren't catching anything so maybe no tip?

"Politicians, fisherman and lie ers in general"

Apparently lawyers didn't make the cut

BTW Tim Hus is playing the home routes thing on nov 24th at studio 16 worht seeing

I seen him at Kispiox and he is a funny guy ... the next Stompin Tom Connors

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    ^ I think it is a guide thing.
    Oh know - no fish biting, don't bother going out to the river.

I love my guide friends, but really, anyone with a credit card, access to google earth can find fish up here. (to be clear I am not saying that a good guide isn't worth - cause if you can afford it and have limited time why not eh!) But I can see why they would want to downplay the fishing for the locals. We know all the same spots, and are likely to be just as successful.

I just got back into it last year, know absolutely nothing, have been told I have the wrong equipment, don't own a boat - yet still have no problem catching fish. I can see a guide not wanting me to share the good holes with his clients. Sort of takes away from their experience.
    im not gonna tell ya your using the wrong equipment
    but its pretty obvious your not a huge flyfisherman
    im gonna make it up there someday
    is it still $40 a day for class 1 waters
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I think he is a fisherman with a lawyering problem eh?

I duno how much it is now but one of the clients was complaining a little about it, I think he said 400 a week for non resident and he was comparing it money wise to fishing on the olympic peninsula

also you can't fish on weekends unless you hire the guide

If you still wana fish weekends bring bring the fly rods for trout, no restrictions and I can point ya at a lake

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Yah - like I said just getting back into it.

I do want to give fly fishing a try someday. For now just want to figure out how to find fish. My gear mostly comes from my neighbors yard sale.

Not sure what they charge but it is steep. If you ever come up give me a pm. We can hit some spots and you can show me why I should give up the spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Maybe they are doing it wrong? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4579.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	212765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4504.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	212767
    well yes counselor but maybe you didn't even know why you are doing it right?

Henning from chermany has been coming to the BV for the last 11 seasons, everything he does is planned exactly, he knows how many hrs drifting, how many hrs fishing, how many pump strokes his raft needs after a night on the truck everything is exact and perfect, so on the shuttle this AM when he told me he has caught 8 in the last 2 days I had to ask how?

He knows I don't fish so he explained that casting a dry fly on a light line is a beautiful thing, that he has been fly fishing for 40 years and he knows how to do that but the steelhead are down deep so he is casting heavy line & some lead to catch them

fishing that way loses alot of flies and is not beautiful but he did not fly half way around ze world to not catch fish
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-13-2017 at 04:53 PM.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I think theres a consumer need and market for a skifishbum 4-runner, one passenger shuttle up there.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

the jets are all long gone the last of my customers went home on the weekend and yesturday the river went up 2 meters overnite so thats it for steeleheading

but I had a good season did a lot of shuttles sometimes 3 a day probably cuz I advertised this year even made business cards and I gave the fishing stores each a case of craft brew to give them out

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    ............We have been discovered by the RV crowd with the freezer in the back.
    you're lucky you lasted this long ........ kenai peninsula has been over-run by the fish packin' puker crowd since the mid 80s
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

its all catch n release, big license fees, non res anglers can not fish weekends without a guide so find a lake or another river or pay >500 for a guide on weekends, then you gotta pay the shuttle bitch( that would be me) / truck/hotel/ food is 350-ish a day for 10 days and for the euros of which there are lots 2500 $to get here adds up to a 6K holiday for 10 days

Still these guys all got me in their phones and want a shuttle next year!

but the big star is them steelhead eh

Fighting with a big Bulkley steelhead is crazy addictive.

It’s like crack
    Or skiing.

I heard the jet engine looked up and seen a Gulfstream so its that time of year again ... the Steelhead season

I'm hearing the fish are early and there are lots of them, they been catching down on the Copper and locally

Man - I’ve only been to the river once this year. Gotta get this fire fighting thing out of my system. This year may have done it.

Trying to save the world cuts into the fishing time. Although I did ok my one time out. A Nice steelhead and a little coho.

pete figures the run is early this year is all, I don't think yer late to the river or nuthin, but it will start to get pretty busy this week

I chummed both the fishing stores with cases of over hopped double brewed IPA so they will hand out my business cards over that other guy ... so I am just waitn for a strike

The Pope, Obama and an attorney are on a deserted island.
    After several days they are dying from lack of water and food.
    The Pope says, I am a man of God, God will protect me from the sharks. Pope swims out and is eaten.
    Obama says, I am the former president of the United States. My position of power will protect me. Swims out, eaten.
    Lawyer says, hell, I've got nothing to lose. Swims out and to the adjacent island where he is rescued.

Why wasn't he eaten?

Professional courtesy.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).