Page 105 of 184 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 4591
    Is that the elusive toiwobby range?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

^^^ Had some friends from out of town head down the hill this morning and they called when they hit the parking lot in Truckee to ask if they should follow Waze and take Donner Pass Road. Told them to stay on 80.

The SugarBowl Night Vision and the Mt Rose Main Lodge Web Cams are extremely entertaining right now. Largest 24 hour snow total I can remember since I moved out here in '02 was 45" on March 24, 2011. I think this may break that.

431 closed with 20 feet of debris on it per NDOT.

Saw Alder Creek was backed up on Waze earlier. Was wondering what was up with that. Derp. I miss the old days before ubiquitous GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Is that the elusive toiwobby range?
    Right you are, we went up Bunker Hill. Theres a lot of good skiing out there but its hard to find it in proper condition and with easy approaches. Right now theres a pretty decent amount of coverage, but its been raining at lower elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    The SugarBowl Night Vision and the Mt Rose Main Lodge Web Cams are extremely entertaining right now. Largest 24 hour snow total I can remember since I moved out here in '02 was 45" on March 24, 2011. I think this may break that.
    Never-mind, warm air appears to have finally moved in. BAH!

Alpine showing sustained winds 180 and gusts of 199, which pretty much correlates to Squaw sensor. Holy fucking shit!
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Free to a good home. 2 adult 2 teen passes to homewood, no blackout between now and closing. Would prefer they go to a regular poster here, you guys always helpful! PM addy if interested, must be mailed.
    "Can't you see..."

^pm'd

Wow - 200 mph gusts at squaw last night with 148 sustained winds. That's upper end for a Cat 4 hurricane. Looks like the north shore has been under the snow gun way more than down here as well. How's the power situation up there?

The power is out at Alpine Meadows so they have officially pulled the plug for today. Understandable with essentially a Cat 4 hurricane passing through last night. I can't imagine those winds with the heavy snows did not create some larger problems.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Heav reporting 42", Kwood 24". One of those must be transposed. Bets on when lifts might spin at either? My moneys on GB by 11 at best. Lots of rain in upper meyers washed away any accumulation overnight,

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Right you are, we went up Bunker Hill. Theres a lot of good skiing out there but its hard to find it in proper condition and with easy approaches. Right now theres a pretty decent amount of coverage, but its been raining at lower elevations.
    The last pic reminded me of my failed approach there. I really want to ski there one day and be able to hit the old saloon in Kingston after

Friend of ours reported that sherrif's deputies were sending people looking to cross the summit on 80 yesterday evening, when 80 was closed, back to Reno. If that represents a new policy it would be welcome. In the past they just let people park in the street in Truckee. Still took her an hour to get from Tahoe Donner to Donner Lake. Reno traffic was being held at the state line, so all the cars clogging Truckee were from Tahoe and the ski areas. We need a traffic management plan that holds those cars when there's no place for them to go. Better they should sit where there are food, heat, and bathrooms. Ski areas wouldn't like it of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Rider View Post
    Heav reporting 42", Kwood 24". One of those must be transposed. Bets on when lifts might spin at either? My moneys on GB by 11 at best. Lots of rain in upper meyers washed away any accumulation overnight,
    At least for Heavenly thats a 24 hour total, most of which fell during operating hours, It was that deep in spots, snowtel shows around 4 inches since I cut out yesterday and 18 feet of wind

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Friend of ours reported that sherrif's deputies were sending people looking to cross the summit on 80 yesterday evening, when 80 was closed, back to Reno. If that represents a new policy it would be welcome. In the past they just let people park in the street in Truckee. Still took her an hour to get from Tahoe Donner to Donner Lake. Reno traffic was being held at the state line, so all the cars clogging Truckee were from Tahoe and the ski areas. We need a traffic management plan that holds those cars when there's no place for them to go. Better they should sit where there are food, heat, and bathrooms. Ski areas wouldn't like it of course.
    I don't know, the ski areas might like the idea of selling more food and beverages to people who would otherwise just be sitting there in traffic. But yeah, they've got to come up with some kind of coordinated effort to combat the shit-show. Some people say, "oh, there's always been bad traffic." Which is true, but it's clearly much worse than ever before. We had a ton of snow in 10/11 and it wasn't nearly this bad (probably because we were in a recession).

The last pic reminded me of my failed approach there. I really want to ski there one day and be able to hit the old saloon in Kingston after
    The approach was definitely the hardest part. You try to ski Bunker Hill? Which way did you attempt to go up?

If I went back anytime soon I'd probably just go up Kingston Canyon and then ski something in there

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Alpine showing sustained winds 180 and gusts of 199, which pretty much correlates to Squaw sensor. Holy fucking shit!
    Wow - 200 mph gusts at squaw last night with 148 sustained winds. That's upper end for a Cat 4 hurricane. Looks like the north shore has been under the snow gun way more than down here as well. How's the power situation up there?
    That's fuckin' nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    The approach was definitely the hardest part. You try to ski Bunker Hill? Which way did you attempt to go up?

If I went back anytime soon I'd probably just go up Kingston Canyon and then ski something in there
    I went up kingston canyon got to snow pretty early on the road skinned up for a little while and never got to where i could escape the canyon (or see out of it at all) as there was no snow on the S facing Bunker Hill slopes. Going solo with no recon I gave up pretty quickly and went and skied the mellow stuff near the summit off 50.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    431 closed with 20 feet of debris on it per NDOT.
    I arrived a few minutes after the slide. I came through some pretty intense weather on 431 to find slide debris covering the road on the steep part that usually slides near the summit. It didn't look 20' deep, but maybe 6' although I didn't get a good look. Like I said, it was storming pretty hard. It's funny because I was thinking that I should probably carry some avy gear and warm clothing in as I was driving up.

I'm afraid to see what my house looks like.

ETA: Nice job, Wobby! Love the obscure lines.

Damn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rose.PNG 
Views:	126 
Size:	372.4 KB 
ID:	200631

Oh well, guess we're going to have to deal with all that traffic coming over Donner, down 267 through KB and around east shore. Shouldn't stress our road capacity too much.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Vrooom

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Oh well, guess we're going to have to deal with all that traffic coming over Donner, down 267 through KB and around east shore. Shouldn't stress our road capacity too much.
    Says they're working on it. I'm sure they'll get it patched up right quick. Looks like an easy fix that's not gonna get worse at all.

holy crap. so much for going around the Spur..

edit, I see it's one lane controlled. hopefully the rest of it doesn't wash out..
    Last edited by MashedPotatoes; 02-21-2017 at 02:08 PM.

I went up kingston canyon got to snow pretty early on the road skinned up for a little while and never got to where i could escape the canyon (or see out of it at all) as there was no snow on the S facing Bunker Hill slopes. Going solo with no recon I gave up pretty quickly and went and skied the mellow stuff near the summit off 50.
    I'm thinking about heading back out there sometime soon if you're interested? Have a good feel for the approaches and snow levels right now, but who knows what the next couple weeks could bring for precip out there. Having a sled to rip up the Kingston Road would be really ideal for accessing the goods.