Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    In funky, irregular snow a softer boot is more forgiving, at least that's my experience, but I'm a hack.

Not sure how that quote got all fucked up.

If you like soft/light boots then you like soft boots but if you wana promote an idea that they are somehow better for anything than walking up hill faster someone needs to call bulshit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If you like soft/light boots then you like soft boots but if you wana promote an idea that they are somehow better for anything than walking up hill faster someone needs to call bulshit
    I think they ski better in soft and variable snow. Maybe it works because I'm heavy and strong? It's an opinion, not bullshit. Fuck off. I know lots of good skiers who feel the same and don't want or need 130 or 140 boots even inbounds.

Actualy you said you were a hack and now you are a heavy hack but in any case you stated the idea like it was a real thing as oposed to just what you like

so I felt sombody should say something lest we get people repeating that idea, what if that idea gets repeated enough that it causes boot makers to quit building stiff as fuck boots then where would us small skinny fuckers who like to mach thru shit at high speed be (not that its better mind you) ... this is why someone has to call bulshit

Actualy you said you were a hack and now you are a heavy hack but in any case you stated the idea like it was a real thing as oposed to just what you like

so I felt sombody should say something lest we get people repeating that idea, what if that idea gets repeated enough that it causes boot makers to quit building stiff as fuck boots then where would us small skinny fuckers who like to mach thru shit at high speed be (not that its better mind you) ... this is why someone has to call bulshit
    Like I said, I know plenty of skiers in real life, not the internet, that have no want or need for boots stiffer than 120 or 110. I'm heavy but not fat at just under 6'5" and 230. I ski fast too, when I want to. It's not bullshit unless you think you're a famous internet skier.

stiff fore or aft or laterally which is it ?

so whats next we could just use half a binding cuz thats all you really need eh and how bout going back to leatehr ?

performance we want performance and more options ... thats why you sound like a bunch of old fucks

2017 Lightweight Touring Boots: F1 vs TLT7 vs Procline vs Travers vs Backland

My resort boot is a Head Vector evo 120. Probably too noodly for a bad ass skinny chinaman. I don't ski my Mtn Explores inbounds but they are great for any touring I do. I know this is TGR, but there's a lot more to the ski world than this place. It's just another perspective, why are you threatened by it? Do you use super stiff boots to compensate for some inadequacy?

I'll go out on a limb and say the one who is incorrect may be compensating. I'll let you two decide who is correct/incorrect. I could tell you but it would cost. That may or may not make me pro though

Grinch = soul of diplomacy

I feel as though I like stiff boots in the resort for 'charging'.....but I like them in the BC for leaning on when skiing funky wild snow that can be grabby and awkward, especially at the end of a long day with a big pack.

That's fine, I'm just pointing out that not everyone wants and/or needs the TGR approved super stiff boots for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Grinch = soul of diplomacy
    Nobody believes that. I have heard "full of shit" though

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nobody believes that. I have heard "full of shit" though
    Maybe I am full of shit.

Yer mom likes 'em stiff

Probably, don't all women? Never knew my mom.

Clearly there is a point where heavy gear truly matters. Alpine racing, FWT, AK big mountain. There is also a point where light gear truly matters. Skimo racing, high-level ski mountaineering. Then there's everything else where it just comes down to ability, preference, and trade-offs. Imagine how crazy this discussion would have sounded 5-10 years ago. Instead of debating between a BD Factor or Dynafit ZZues that weighs 2 kg and walks like frankenstein, you now get 130 flex boots at the same weight (1400g) and walkabillity as an old style F1. Likewise, you can get a sub-kg boot that skis as well as the 1500 g boots of yesteryear, and walks like a tennis shoe.

That's fine, I'm just pointing out that not everyone wants and/or needs the TGR approved super stiff boots for performance.
    I rock the ski slippers for most of my touring, but I will be the first to admit your compromising downhill ability for the up.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

We definitely are spoiled now . My tr9's were like 4kg paul's of water at the end of each day and debatable if they were stiffer than a new hiking boot.
    I'm wondering how much that new atomic will weigh without the toe buckle and maybe a lighter/better intuition liner. It might weigh the same as my tlt6's

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    Clearly there is a point where heavy gear truly matters. Alpine racing, FWT, AK big mountain. There is also a point where light gear truly matters. Skimo racing, high-level ski mountaineering. Then there's everything else where it just comes down to ability, preference, and trade-offs. Imagine how crazy this discussion would have sounded 5-10 years ago. Instead of debating between a BD Factor or Dynafit ZZues that weighs 2 kg and walks like frankenstein, you now get 130 flex boots at the same weight (1400g) and walkabillity as an old style F1. Likewise, you can get a sub-kg boot that skis as well as the 1500 g boots of yesteryear, and walks like a tennis shoe.
    yeah this is 100% true and just getting better haha. an 850g boot with 1 buckle and a 95 flex retails under $800 this fall... just get more efficient at transitions and layering and do what you feel like

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    yeah this is 100% true and just getting better haha. an 850g boot with 1 buckle and a 95 flex retails under $800 this fall... just get more efficient at transitions and layering and do what you feel like
    This was kind of my point.

I suspect we share the same touring equipment values

Wasn't your point was that you like soft boots? I don't really care what kind of boots you like....just sharing what my takeaway was after reading the last two pages. All boots, just like everything in life, have their compromises.

what if that idea gets repeated enough that it causes boot makers to quit building stiff as fuck boots then where would us small skinny fuckers who like to mach thru shit at high speed be (not that its better mind you) ... this is why someone has to call bulshit
    'Skinny fuckers who like to mach thru shit' are a tiny part of the skiing market anyway. Dynafit know that, which is why they dropped the Vulcan (your boot iirc?).

I look around at what other skiers are wearing in cable cars. In France I've seen loads of ski instructors and guides skiing lift served off piste on Scarpa F1s or similar. These are the same group of people who I see teaching on piste in 120 flex race style boots. I suspect they buy a pair of boots for on piste, a pair of boots for long tours and spend any money they have left on wine.

Scarpa modified the F1 to work with Kingpins. Seemed odd to me at the time, but it is an example of the same thing - touring boots being used for side country.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
    Scarpa modified the F1 to work with Kingpins. Seemed odd to me at the time, but it is an example of the same thing - touring boots being used for side country.
    I wonder if it's just the inserts they use got modified to be compatible, my Fischer Travers are Kingpin compatible too.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Wasn't your point was that you like soft boots? I don't really care what kind of boots you like....just sharing what my takeaway was after reading the last two pages. All boots, just like everything in life, have their compromises.
    Well, me and other people I know personally like softer, not necessarily soft, boots and this runs contrary to the usual TGR party line. Different strokes.

Well, me and other people I know personally like softer, not necessarily soft, boots and this runs contrary to the usual TGR party line. Different strokes.
    I like the Vulcan, but without the tongue. Probably about as stiff as your mountain explores or whatever.

I agree, in the backcountry I find too stiff of a boot to be annoying. You spend so much time with limited ankle resistance, it feels weird to go from zero to max flex. This is why I sold my Lange XT 130s. I am typically skiing much slower and more conservatively in the BC. And am often tired, so I want a little more ankle mobility to make flexing into the boot/tip of the ski easier. As long as the boot doesn't fold over in difficult snow, it's fine. I don't find myself making wide open turns in bump fields or whatever other stupidity when I'm touring.