Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

She's officially a better skier than I am

Actually, she probably pretty easily took care of me about two years ago--last time we 'raced' (sort of a joke of a dual course) we had .01 seconds separation (and I destroyed her out of the start due to her lack of upper body strength). So if you want to know how long it will take for your kids to become better skiers than you are the answer could be about 14 years. This was two days ago at Loveland--I could train for the rest of my life and it would be hopeless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-12 18.26.15.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	913.8 KB 
ID:	285951
    [quote][//quote]

long, long ago x3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Congrats and happy Father's Day. I'm staring down the barrel on that one and she's only 7. Luckily she doesn't weigh enough to be faster yet but at the beginning of this season she was following me down a groomer and I turned around to see where she was and she wasn't far enough behind that I had to stop and wait. That was a wake up call.

My kid is making claims but I’m not buying it yet

I’m guessing your daughter would school us both, tho

Happy Father’s Day y’all

My kiddo is 8, she's not there yet, but in a year or two...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, it happens surprisingly fast given enough days on snow. Without making it clear to her I have been avoiding situations involving timed runs to avoid humiliation. Bumps/steeps/pow I still have a decided edge, but her thing (for better or worse) is icey groomers.

Happy father's day all you slow-ass old dudes.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Congrats and happy Father's Day..... I turned around to see where she was and she wasn't far enough behind that I had to stop and wait. That was a wake up call.
    I’m experiencing this with my boys as well, though it took them a little longer to get there (12 & 16). Happy Fathers Day!

17 prs of red skis in the house and only 3 are mine. Race parenting all done as of 2 weeks ago, though my girl does want to race club at Utah next year.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Both girls beat me on the course this year, and at times in the steeps. Happened way faster than I thought. 8 and 9. Happy fathers day to you all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1560707537.764477.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	548.8 KB 
ID:	285957Name:  Image1560707559.276494.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  55.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

My 4 year old can't touch me. At the very least you should stop buying your kids red boots so you at least have a fighting chance.

Time to start cheating.

Duh.

well if they are getting instruction and skiing lots you would expect them to get better

Mine is 30 yars younger and a better athelete but he has a real life so he only skis 8 times a year
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-16-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

In March I chased my 9 year old through a GS course and couldn't catch him until the flats.

It's not long.
    Last edited by The Tortoise; 06-17-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Ten years back, "follow me dad" became more of threat to my safety than a fun outing. Really enjoy the ski days together now. That parenting thing worked out for me. Happy fathers day to the other dads. Den

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Yeah, it happens surprisingly fast given enough days on snow. Without making it clear to her I have been avoiding situations involving timed runs to avoid humiliation. Bumps/steeps/pow I still have a decided edge, but her thing (for better or worse) is icey groomers.
    Doesn't sound like she's a better skier than you at all. But sounds like she's great at chasing sticks....

Happy Father's day!

She's officially a better skier than I am

Sounds like I’m in good company with all you other guys.

Most of the mountain, freeskiing, steeps, bumps, trees, pow etc. I’ve still got my 10 and 12 yr olds beat but freeskiing groomers and especially throwing some gates in the way I no longer have any chance.

Love skiing with both of them and really enjoying touring with them this spring too.

This is a really great thread.

Right in the feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Dad goals

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

The key to racing your kids as they start to get faster than you is a long flat straight groomer, where weight wins out. If that doesn't work you may need to resort to a nice thick coat of unscraped wax, preferably the wrong wax, applied surreptitiously the night before. If that doesn't work feign injury.

Anyone catch the news report about the 10 year old girl who climbed El Capitan with her dad and his friend. I assume she jumared the whole route but 4 1/2 days on a big wall is a long time for a kid or anyone else.

Mini Comish is 10. Crushed me in slalom this year, it was 50/50 in GS in the Village Championship series. I bet he gets me in all next year. I still have him in steeps and pow, but not for long. Think I have a bit longer with the Comish twins, but so fun to make "family runs" with them for Fathers Day today!
    He who has the most fun wins!

I distinctly remember the day when we had a complete roll reversal

I remember when she was little, maybe 5 she would sometimes have complete meldowns on the slope, crying, saying I can’t do this (on an easy green). I’d calmy tell her, yes you can, just do pizza turns slowly.

Fast forward about 14 years. She was about 90days into her gap year season at Whistler. I had just showed up, not having skiied for 3 months. About an hour into my first morning she took me into an area, Dad you’ll love this! Double black, narrow iced up chute. I went into meltdown, why did you bring me here, I can’t do this. She calmly said, yes you can, just link some turns, lean forward ......

I knew from that point on skiing together would never quite be the same again

My son got faster than me at 14. He was flat out better than me at 15. At 16 there was no part of the mountain that I could reasonable fool myself into thinking I was better than him at. He is now 17 and is literally getting "who was THAT guy?" comments from bystanders. Under Corbett's last year, for example, exact quote, when he absolutely stomped through a couple of big airs on some made up line under the chute.

My daughter is 14. She's been faster than me since 13 (she likes speed). However, I think I still still rip an edge better in shitty snow, and I think on a good day I look a little better in bumps. I am likely fooling myself, but regardless, it'll be completely over next year.

Son somehow has become one of the top end skiers you'll see on any given day at any given mountain, and daughter's a year or two away from cementing that status. Frankly, I'm stunned they got this good, and that they enjoy it this much. On one hand, it makes me realize just how bad I am compared to them, younger me, and really good skiers. On the other, it's so much fun to ski with them and have them push me to do things I'd never do otherwise at this age - airs, for example.

Skiing has become our go to family activity. They never took formal lessons. We just skied together, a lot, and took a lot of weekend ski trips around Colorado (and now elsewhere - thanks Ikon.) When they were around 10 and 8 it started getting really fun (and much less work), and it's just been better and better ever since.

Thanks for giving us the venue to appreciate all of this on father's day. Love this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    17 prs of red skis in the house and only 3 are mine. Race parenting all done as of 2 weeks ago, though my girl does want to race club at Utah next year.

Great shot (was that a 'real' photographer or did you snap that one yourself?). I hear you on the skis--I don't want to admit how many pairs I've bought over the past 10 years of ski racing, but only one pair for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My 4 year old can't touch me. At the very least you should stop buying your kids red boots so you at least have a fighting chance.
    Yes, in my black Heads I don't stand a chance. I had actually noticed that my girls and Mofro's girl are in the same boots.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Doesn't sound like she's a better skier than you at all. But sounds like she's great at chasing sticks....

Happy Father's day!
    Granted, but it's funny that my brothers and I grew up trying to get pow/steeps/air every chance we could, whereas for my girls it's all about hard snow and big angles (and speed). I also was just as much of a bump skier as racer early on, and wanted to be Scott Schmidt, but I think given a season of the same exposure to steeps and other terrain that I've had she could easily make that solid racing foundation work for 'big mountain' (we've all seen how that goes with ex-racers). Bumps maybe a different story...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The key to racing your kids as they start to get faster than you is a long flat straight groomer, where weight wins out. If that doesn't work you may need to resort to a nice thick coat of unscraped wax, preferably the wrong wax, applied surreptitiously the night before. If that doesn't work feign injury.
    Solid advice--I've considered sabotage but have yet to feign injury. Probably better off just continuing to dodge her as I have done successfully for the past few seasons. 'Race? Nah, I'll just keep standing here on the side of the course telling you what to do.'

I mean, the idea of hanging in there with her these days is literally just hopeless. But it's awesome skiing with them and now having to keep up, as a number of you have noted.
    [quote][//quote]

I kinda think if you spend $5K+/yr ski racing and your kid can't beat you by his or her mid teens they should probably find another sport.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang