Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Do the present circumstances make the record easier to beat? Yes. Do the present circumstances make a record attempt safer? Possibly.
    I mean I agree with both points but still, come on man. Basta with the cannonball shit. Enough already fellas.

Basinbeater claims hogle zoo to i80 record with tons of Roadies all over the frickin place.
    Just kidding.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

cannonball is gehy..... gumball rally is legend.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    That article is cringe-worthy. I would say it's only fit to wipe your ass with, but if you did, you would run the risk of your asshole transforming into a pussy.
    There's only 3 types of people in this world...

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Basinbeater claims hogle zoo to i80 record with tons of Roadies all over the frickin place.
    Just kidding.

sent from Utah.
    You should up the rad factor. Pull that same shit in a rental Ferrari with 3 iPads duct taped to the dash and wear a golf shirt with warm up pants in case you have to escape on foot after impaling a white Sienna.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Or we are living in the golden age of the sheltered class doing whatever it is the fuck they want with little to zero regard for personal responsibility or two fucks given. Just look at my kook ass pinning it across Merica. As tone deaf a run to any 'culture' we have left. I'd rather go read about Basinbeater driving his project Porsche around with friends.

Are you aware when the Cannonball run started? (1971)

Get off my lawn?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Rallying is 50 times more badass than cannonball bullshit will ever be
    Lol. Have you been to a rally like Gumball or Corsa America?

No talent Douchefest comes to mind.

supercar collector and former Gold Rush Rally co-owner Ben Chen was charged with reckless and drugged driving on Tuesday after embarking on a five-car hit-and-run spree in Midtown Manhattan with his rare Gemballa-tuned Porsche Carrera GT. The $800K wreck drew worldwide attention

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Are you aware when the Cannonball run started? (1971)

Get off my lawn?
    Well I was born in 71...but the old man had every issue of Car and Driver ever delivered straight to our mailbox...which I read cover to cover. So yeah. I get the history. Doesn't make this meaningful to me, worthwhile, or all that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Lol. Have you been to a rally like Gumball or Corsa America?

No talent Douchefest comes to mind.
    Definitely wasn't talking about US "rallying". Not even close to the same thing as in Europe.

I prefer James May's version of rallying

I still call it The Jake.

Did he pick up the St. Pauli Girl hitchhiking?

I still call it The Jake.

Fuck it, I think this is rad, with the obvious caveats being it is, and always has been a completely unsafe, me first, screw the ramifications activity no matter what the current world situation is, that's what makes it fun.

But come on, this is a couple dudes who jerry rigged a couple gas cans and just fucking went for it. The equivalent of a couple teens who take out Dad's Audi without asking compared to the last guys to set the record had support crews, lidar, radar, z dar (if you have to ask, you can't afford it), plus the requisite douchebag hairdoos and just ruined the whole thing for me.

The whole point has alway been celebrating a bit of reckless behavior as a statement of freedom. That and pinning a thoroughbred for hours across America. Whether on horse, train, or automobile, if that isn't basically ingrained as part of the American dream then I don't want to be a part of it.
    Live Free or Die

I mean, were there rules to begin with?

No, it's about breaking the fucking law and getting away with it.

I don't understand all the e-rage. Who freaking cares? While the rest of us are on lockdown, at least SOMEBODY did something kind of fun and reckless. I've always been fascinated by the whole cannonball/gumball records so perhaps I'm biased, but IS there a better opportunity than now to have some freed up highways? Seems like you guys would be all for it since the risk factor to others has been lowered significantly with 90%+ of drivers off the roads.

Then again, since I've driven the autobahn numerous times, I think American highway speed limits are for pussies anyway. My brother has a kick as S8 (with the V10) and can see why someone would choose an A8 for such a trek. That thing is just MADE for high speed comfy cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    No, it's about breaking the fucking law and getting away with it.
    What, and this crowd here is all of a sudden a bunch of little law-abiding Goodie Two Shoes? Folks here getting soft in their old ages. Used to be way more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I don't understand all the e-rage. Who freaking cares? While the rest of us are on lockdown, at least SOMEBODY did something kind of fun and reckless. I've always been fascinated by the whole cannonball/gumball records so perhaps I'm biased, but IS there a better opportunity than now to have some freed up highways? Seems like you guys would be all for it since the risk factor to others has been lowered significantly with 90%+ of drivers off the roads.

Then again, since I've driven the autobahn numerous times, I think American highway speed limits are for pussies anyway. My brother has a kick as S8 (with the V10) and can see why someone would choose an A8 for such a trek. That thing is just MADE for high speed comfy cruising.
    You can have fun on the autobahn. German car magazine "wolves in sheep clothing" fun with high HP cars on the autobahn.
    I find it highly amusing that a 100mph average is considered reckless in the US.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtFOuBNmqA
    Last edited by subtle plague; 04-10-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    You can have fun on the autobahn. German car magazine "wolves in sheep clothing" fun with high HP cars on the autobahn.
    I find it highly amusing that an 100mph average is considered reckless in the US.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtFOuBNmqA
    Exactly. And for those who think 100+ mph is too crazy, drive through West Texas, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc. and you'll quickly see why many of us crave the Autobahn rules. I've made so many trans-US treks that our speed limits are just so soul crushing to me. ESPECIALLY all the roads in New Mexico that are straight as far as the eye can see, flat, hundreds of miles, 65 mph...

So the guys screaming for less government and more personal responsibility think kids pinning it across Merica in a preowned Audi is about expressing and celebrating your freedom?

Till one of these guys blows up that Sienna full of white kids. Then we get cameras everywhere taking our pictures and more speed cops sitting by the road and less freedom.

Thanks douchebags. You guys who think this is great know that is going to happen bigly at some point especially when every rich kid can buy an off the shelf autobahn ready sedan with hundreds of ponies.

Sure, some of the spun YouTube content has been interesting to watch but is it worth it? Hashtag wisely seems to apply. It'd be better with a shoot shovel and shut up approach but these guys all end up beating their chests in public. It is all too accessible now to Joe Douche.

Like the Car and Driver article states 1971 was a different time. Kids couldn't buy an Audi that can do 160 mph for hours at a time with fuel bladders ordered from Overtons. The double nickle speed limit travesty was yet to infect our nation's highways and byways. Speed limits were reasonable and often pliable. I remember my dad talking about our old BMW 1600 4 speed. It would do 104 flat out, but it could do it for hours without blowing up and it actually had the brakes to stop and the suspension to handle twisties. That wasn't the norm in the late sixties early seventies.

Give me an electric car cannonball where speed and power draw have to be managed. Something unique. Having driven coast to coast myself many times my interest lies in sending the less traveled routes. We took highway 20 home from Wyoming last month instead of I80 when this lock down started. Some gravel was involved. Google map adventures can be super cool. Speed cops in every single fucking town. It was amazing.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 04-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.

OK Boomer
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    OK Boomer
    At least the boomers had their own ideas and could think big. My dad is way sharper than I will ever be and far more interesting. We have all this new tech to play with but the kids just want to beat the boomers at their own game.

Here is the little car I grew up in on a road trip to Mexico City a couple years before I was born.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191228-IMG_1770.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	324780

I didn't think this would spark this much debate when I posted it. I watched the youtube of the previous record run, and this isn't something a pair of douchbags just wake up and go do on a whim. There is a lot of planning and coordinating to do with spotters and blockers across the country. Sure, some things are easier with mapping and communicating to spotters ahead of you, but our urban centers are a lot larger and the fuzz also has those tools along with Karen in the Sienna calling the cops immediately when that audi blasts by. The game has changed since the 70's along with the tech. Cars are massively safer now, especially at speed. Traction and handling are light years better. And yes uglymoney, you can by an off the shelf audubon ready sedan today. BMW M-series, or AMG Merc's all hit 155 with ease and they don't take supercar money to buy. There isn't a massive spike in cannonballing because cross country road racing is boring AF.

More kids are interested in ghost riding their cars for their 8 second tiktok video and the IG likes than driving 2700 miles in 26 hours.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

So the guys screaming for less government and more personal responsibility think kids pinning it across Merica in a preowned Audi is about expressing and celebrating your freedom?

Till one of these guys blows up that Sienna full of white kids. Then we get cameras everywhere taking our pictures and more speed cops sitting by the road and less freedom.

Thanks douchebags. You guys who think this is great know that is going to happen bigly at some point especially when every rich kid can buy an off the shelf Audubon ready sedan with hundreds of ponies.

Sure, some of the spun YouTube content has been interesting to watch but is it worth it? Hashtag wisely seems to apply. It'd be better with a shoot shovel and shut up approach but these guys all end up beating their chests in public. It is all too accessible now to Joe Douche.

Like the Car and Driver article states 1971 was a different time. Kids couldn't buy an Audi that can do 160 mph for hours at a time with fuel bladders ordered from Overtons. The double nickle speed limit travesty was yet to infect our nation's highways and byways. Speed limits were reasonable and often pliable. I remember my dad talking about our old BMW 1600 4 speed. It would do 104 flat out, but it could do it for hours without blowing up and it actually had the brakes to stop and the suspension to handle twisties. That wasn't the norm in the late sixties early seventies.

Give me an electric car cannonball where speed and power draw have to be managed. Something unique. Having driven coast to coast myself many times my interest lies in sending the less traveled routes. We took highway 20 home from Wyoming last month instead of I80 when this lock down started. Some gravel was involved. Google map adventures can be super cool. Speed cops in every single fucking town. It was amazing.
    maybe try less coffee during quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    maybe try less coffee during quarantine?
    I'm just happy to be thinking about something other than Covid at the moment. But yes, I am two mugs in and just home from work.

...especially when every rich kid can buy an off the shelf autobahn ready sedan with hundreds of ponies.
    You DO realize that you can pick up V10 Audi S6/8's for under $10K all day long, right? No need to be a "rich kid" at all. (if you don't mind wrenching yourself that is)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app