Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ontario 2022

Ontario 2022

Decided to start a new Ontario thread to welcome in the new Doug rules and find out what is ticking in this fine province.

Anyways, got an 'urgent' email from the local with regards to season pass holders. Looks like I have to book one of three time slots if I go skiing tomorrow. Not sure how they'll monitor that and after seeing the insanity there this morning with a hudge line up to get a ticket I am a wee tad concerned. Last year they cancelled my pass and made us book a time period days in advance of showing up. It involved paying on line and picking up your ticket when you got there. Schools are closed for at least two weeks so that will compound the problem. Fcuk!

On the bright side I see that the golf course down the street is allowing the riff-raff to use the property for walking and x-country skiing. We got a few inches of snow on Sunday night so it looks okay for some shuffling.

Minimalistic thread title.

My season starts on Saturday. Will report back!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

Seen some pics from the family at Loch Lomond with decent conditions. Get after it, what are you waiting for??

30cm off the lake. Nice to bring out the west coast daily drivers in Ontario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210303_144721_exported_3989_1614817619023.jpg 
Views:	805 
Size:	588.5 KB 
ID:	400068

Some Southern Ontario stoke for the upcoming season. This was last March... some nice spring conditions on Chedoke ski hill in Downtown Hamilton

Vmango, I hope you got some turns in the 30 cm.

In other news, for someone (me) who hasn't visited an actual ski resort since February of 2020, all this was a bit much today. But you deal with it, along with the friggin cold:

Name:	Signs 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	400235

Name:	Signs 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	400236
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Was Milton a shitshow yesterday? Hope you got some.

Nice dump there Vmango. We have maybe 30 cms total since November. Freeze thaw every week so maybe an inch or so on the ground at this time.

Much snow in the woods there Mr. M? Had many a fun day at Sir Sam's over the years. Two of my buddies had a cottage just north of there and we used to get the gang together for some shenanigans every winter on that hill.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Much snow in the woods there Mr. M? Had many a fun day at Sir Sam's over the years. Two of my buddies had a cottage just north of there and we used to get the gang together for some shenanigans every winter on that hill.
    I wasn't doing much skiing at Sir Sam's yesterday, as I was mostly there to support and lend a hand to my friends from Ski Telemark, as they were running their first ever tele lessons there (in 38 years of teaching tele to the unwashed). Groomer conditions were excellent, though the snow was slow due to the cold temps.

In general, there is a good solid base in the woods now but we a big dump of snow before it will be safe to make turns in the trees. After all the windstorms this fall and early winter, there are a lot of sticks and branches that need to be buried. WWHSTA postponed the planned tour of Limberlost, originally planned for today, due to insufficient snow. Things are looking up though, there is significant snow in the forecast for this week.

If you haven't been to Sir Sam's in while, you are in for a surprise. New owners with deep pockets (and respect for the past) have spruced the lodge, upped the food and beverage game and have a plan to gradually upgrade infrastructure on the hill. I was a bit shocked to pay $8 for a hotdog, but to be fair, it was a really good hotdog.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

First I just need to say: Dry January sucks. I'm never doing this again.

The first Saturday lessons of the year are always a gong show. We've got our kids in the 9am very first time slot of the day, so hiccups are expected. It started when the email we got the day before said for both of our kids to meet up with their lessons in the same area - the excitingly-named "West Lodge." Well, turns out that's not the case and one of them needed to be over at the even more excitingly-named "East Lodge." This requires a ~300m walk over a bit of a hump, which usually you can put your skis on at the top of and just use your poles to push yourself along. Well, this year the down-slope is total ice and they've decided to be helpful and toss gravel on it for traction - so skis are out, thanks fellas.

PANDEMIC REPORT:
    ***If you want to ski at Glen Eden you need to be double-vaxxed if you're over 12. They have people checking at the front gates for this now so you can't even get to the ticket counter if you're not all juiced up.
    ***I think you're still supposed to be wearing a mask in the lift lines, and most people are, but there is definitely a lot of slacking off in this department by many. Not that I'm complaining - I think the masks in lines outside era should be over now. I no longer GAF if my do-nothing buff falls off my nose, and I also don't care if anyone else is doing the same or just has their whole pie-hole out.
    ***Actually rode the lift a couple times with strangers, which made things feel more normal again. There are still some people hogging a whole chair to their single-ass, but this happened before and Glen Eden is a totes beginner place so I let these things slide and just ride on, man.
    ***No food service I don't think. Not that we ever really use it anyway. Snacks back in the car for the kids.

Anyway got them going and lessons are now 1.5 hours long which is way better. Kinks will be worked out by next week (they've already sent the correction email haha) and we'll be all set. No pics from Saturday because it was freezing.

Went back on Sunday - temps now +3C and the odd sprinkling of rain. We had fun for a couple hours.

Muddy walk to the lifts...

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	642.0 KB 
ID:	400525

Back on the chair!

Name:	IMG_1324.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1,003.9 KB 
ID:	400526

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    In general, there is a good solid base in the woods now but we a big dump of snow before it will be safe to make turns in the trees. After all the windstorms this fall and early winter, there are a lot of sticks and branches that need to be buried. WWHSTA postponed the planned tour of Limberlost, originally planned for today, due to insufficient snow. Things are looking up though, there is significant snow in the forecast for this week.
    Buddy I am fired up for this. Bought some used Dukes in Vancouver, my bro in law has mailed them out to me. Got some skins for xmas. Joined WWHSTA because why not. I should be getting this gear all set up in the next week-ish, so if you ever want to show a guy around the hills of the hinterlands on a day that isn't a Saturday I'm down. Otherwise I'll just hook up for one of the scheduled events. I will be skinning around the pond behind my house like a complete tool so I can familiarize myself with this process to keep the JONG-gauge at a minimum when it's time to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by McShortyShorts View Post

Name:	20210303_144721_exported_3989_1614817619023.jpg 
Views:	805 
Size:	588.5 KB 
ID:	400068

Some Southern Ontario stoke for the upcoming season. This was last March... some nice spring conditions on Chedoke ski hill in Downtown Hamilton
    Is that the gash in the escarpment just above the golf course? One of my brothers skied there years ago and said it had a nice pitch on one of the hills. Looks like one of the fairways on the golf course used to be a beginner hill. We drive by there quite often on the way to Toronto. Patch skiing at its best eh?

Really Paulster? Gravel on that hump? Maybe they can set up a shuttle on the train tracks to go back and forth.

Ditch the Dukes and go tele. You'll never regret it...well maybe. And does the dry January refer to snow or booze? Guessing the Glen still has no bar but that's what pockets are for.

Enjoyed the covid mask this morning with minus ten and howling wind. Was jealous of one of the regulars adjusting the heat in his electric socks.

Really Paulster? Gravel on that hump? Maybe they can set up a shuttle on the train tracks to go back and forth.

Ditch the Dukes and go tele. You'll never regret it...well maybe. And does the dry January refer to snow or booze? Guessing the Glen still has no bar but that's what pockets are for.

Enjoyed the covid mask this morning with minus ten and howling wind. Was jealous of one of the regulars adjusting the heat in his electric socks.
    They do have a tractor that goes from the main west parking lot to the east entrance. The dual drop-off spots wouldn't have been a problem if we weren't told the opposite... Next Saturday it'll just be a drop off of the Mrs. and one kid while I go and park the car and sort out the other. Will meet Mrs. Paulster at the top once the lessons start.

I got the dukes because I have never skied uphill before. Don't even know if I'll like it. Needed something that I could try with existing equipment first - if it's good and I can get out enough for it to make sense then I will spring for a total new setup. Does going full tele require me to also bathe in patchouli oil?

Dry January = no booze (I don't know why, either so please don't ask). On Friday I realized there are 4 weekends in January and almost cried.

Buddy I am fired up for this. Bought some used Dukes in Vancouver, my bro in law has mailed them out to me. Got some skins for xmas. Joined WWHSTA because why not. I should be getting this gear all set up in the next week-ish, so if you ever want to show a guy around the hills of the hinterlands on a day that isn't a Saturday I'm down. Otherwise I'll just hook up for one of the scheduled events. I will be skinning around the pond behind my house like a complete tool so I can familiarize myself with this process to keep the JONG-gauge at a minimum when it's time to shine.
    Ha, that's great. Limberlost would be a great place to start, it has easy access, easy skinning and multiple well-gladed terrain options. And sometimes, a shit-tonne of snow. We'll figure something out and I will post the new date of the organized tour once we figure it out.

I got the dukes because I have never skied uphill before. Don't even know if I'll like it. Needed something that I could try with existing equipment first - if it's good and I can get out enough for it to make sense then I will spring for a total new setup. Does going full tele require me to also bathe in patchouli oil?
    No patchouli but you do need a Peruvian earflap toque.

Good morning from Huntsville! There aren't many reasons to not go skiing but this is one of them:

Name:	Tree pop cold.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	400662

Good morning from Huntsville! There aren't many reasons to not go skiing but this is one of them:

Name:	Tree pop cold.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	400662
    Easy to wax for those temps.

Was at Sir Sam's Inn for my birthday years ago and had a morning like that. The 40% booze I put in my flask poured like stiff syrup. The Targas had turned into alpine bindings with frozen cartridges. Nice to have a room to go back to for defrosting.

We were supposed to get 20 cm last night with the streamers but it looks more like 3 this morning. Minus 15 currently.

Oh man. And here I am not wanting to go for my morning walk because it's -19. Suddenly it feels balmy down here in the south.

Don't see much snow in the forecast for Huntsville - hopefully this changes by the weekend.

Is that the gash in the escarpment just above the golf course? One of my brothers skied there years ago and said it had a nice pitch on one of the hills. Looks like one of the fairways on the golf course used to be a beginner hill. We drive by there quite often on the way to Toronto. Patch skiing at its best eh?
    Yes I think it is. It used to be an actual ski hill and some of the lift foundations are still there. It's pretty fun! A good fall line for about 15 seconds worth of skiing if you make lots of turns. The previous pic is from the top, the rest of the hill had a bit more coverage. You also get some fun mandatory air off the bike path at the bottom:

Name:	VID_20210303_143945_exported_18688_1614821337995.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	401210

Quote Originally Posted by McShortyShorts View Post
    Yes I think it is. It used to be an actual ski hill and some of the lift foundations are still there. It's pretty fun! A good fall line for about 15 seconds worth of skiing if you make lots of turns. The previous pic is from the top, the rest of the hill had a bit more coverage. You also get some fun mandatory air off the bike path at the bottom:

Name:	VID_20210303_143945_exported_18688_1614821337995.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	401210

Closed in 2003 but the race team lasted a bit longer with Chicopee and Glen Eden as 'home' hills. I wonder how many other Ontario ski hills are closed now?
    https://skicanadamag.com/last-run-chedoke-ski-area/

Should be an interesting day tomorrow in Quebario...

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 8.59.26 AM.png
Views: 613
Size:  96.8 KB

I wasn't doing much skiing at Sir Sam's yesterday, as I was mostly there to support and lend a hand to my friends from Ski Telemark, as they were running their first ever tele lessons there (in 38 years of teaching tele to the unwashed). Groomer conditions were excellent, though the snow was slow due to the cold temps.

If you haven't been to Sir Sam's in while, you are in for a surprise. New owners with deep pockets (and respect for the past) have spruced the lodge, upped the food and beverage game and have a plan to gradually upgrade infrastructure on the hill. I was a bit shocked to pay $8 for a hotdog, but to be fair, it was a really good hotdog.
    Brings back memories. Old friends had a place in Minden…. Gull Lake? Owned an inn on a bay. Anyways. We used to go to their cottage and skied several times at Sir Sams. Really nice spot. I think I played golf there as well. This was the 70’s tho. Good to hear it has some decent ownership. Hard to make a family resort in Halliburton work is my guess!
    Using Tapatalk

Ontario 2022

does anyone have a lead on mont chilly? if it opens does anyone want to get it next weekend?
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 01-17-2022 at 06:44 AM.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    does anyone have lead on mont chilly? if it opens does anyone want to get it next weekend?
    Pic from late 2021 looked good but their website seems to be dead. Regardless, this storm should fill things in.

Speaking of which, maybe an inch on the ground at 4am. Now at 8:30 we're looking at 6 inches. About bloody time it snowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Should be an interesting day tomorrow in Quebario...

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 8.59.26 AM.png
Views: 613
Size:  96.8 KB
    Deep today at Glen Eden. Happens only once every 10 years or so. Update to come!

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY
    40cm UP TO 60cm POSSIBLE IN THE GTA
    GET AFTER IT, YOU FOOLS!!

It came! The weatherman was right and it actually happened!! Just so you are all aware, this happens once every 10 years or so. The last time we got 30cm+ out here in a skiable-fashion (as in they don't groom away all the fun) was on February 8 2013. These days cannot be wasted! Time to hit the local slopes. First things first - while the wife asks a neighbor if we can dump our kids off for a couple hours, I gotta take care of business.

Name:  00_call in.JPG
Views: 516
Size:  24.2 KB

Now that's done, and some good snow tires and AWD gets us to the hill. Stepping in, it doesn't look like there's many people here.

Name:	01_Booting up.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	764.5 KB 
ID:	401518

Now, Glen Eden is definitely not on the Epic or Ikon program, and thus you can basically have the place to yourself until 11:00.

Name:	02_lift line.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	401520

Obligatory Riding-On-The-Lift picture that the wife takes every time (I think she's cool for doing so).

Name:	02b_on the lift.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1,018.3 KB 
ID:	401521

Look - I told you this place was deserted!

Name:	03_empty chairs.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	401522

Enough of this. Time to see how the conditions actually are. Here's Mrs. Paulster with a nice smile!

Name:	04_jen smile.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	924.0 KB 
ID:	401524

My turn. It's always nice when you can just do laps and it's just your own tracks you're going over.

Name:	05_paul pow1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	401527

Name:	06_paul pow2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	401528

After a while we decided to head to the East side, to hills less travelled. It pays to have local knowledge, I guess.

Name:	07_hike to fresh.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	754.4 KB 
ID:	401529

And last pic of the day. It's pretty over here - like 500m from the 401, you'd never know!

Name:	08_picturesque.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	401530

5-star morning for sure. Great to get some fresh out in Upper Canada for once. Hope the rest of you eastern scum got some action today!

solid work
    27° 18°