Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smith Optics WTF

Just checked the Smith site to see what’s up with this years 🥽. 280 bucks for a pair of goggles?! I know everyone finds em half price but Jesus Christ. A guy can get a pair of prescription glasses for that kinda ching. Rant over...

Wait until you see the cost of their helmets and then discover how much Ching you’ll be spending on your head and eyes.

That kit is pushing the cost of new boards in 2020.

That said— you can also get amazing double lens tech that won’t fog for fifty bucks.

Smith still wins the cost:durability negotiation.

You can beat the shit out of a basic Smith goggle and it’ll still be there for you 3-4 years down the line.

Beat the shit out of an Oakley and it becomes disposable. It won’t even function if you wipe it while wet.

This is not an attack on Oakley’s precision clarity. Which fucking rocks. But that shit is downright fragile. You have to baby them.

You can throw smiths into the back of your truck. You can literally wash a Smith lens with warm water. That would completely destroy an Oakley lens.

Good point, I had a pair of Cascades I rode hard and put away wet for 6 years.

As someone who has used exclusively Smith goggles for 15+ years now (Uvex prior to that), they never struck me as being particularly durable. However, it appears that is because of my ignorance of the fragility of the competition. I know their warranty support is highly regarded, too.

I wish it was easier to find replacement lenses for my I/OX's that are still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Just checked the Smith site to see what’s up with this years 諒. 280 bucks for a pair of goggles?! I know everyone finds em half price but Jesus Christ. A guy can get a pair of prescription glasses for that kinda ching. Rant over...
    I really wish my eyeglasses only cost $280.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I really wish my eyeglasses only cost $280.
    Dude-- hop on the Costco train. Oakley frames, Nikon lenses, 180$.

Furthermore, these Nikon lenses are the best of my life and I've been buying eye glasses for 30 years. Costco has got the eye glass market absolutely nailed.

Truthfully, I've been buying Costco glasses (as well as others) for the last 30 years and have always been surprised at Costco's lens quality. They're legit. Costco has a way of outsourcing high quality lenses. They figured this out decades ago. I always laugh going there for glasses. It's fucking Costco.

But yeah-- Oakley frame, Nikon lenses, UV coating, blue light coating, obviously centered optics not giving me a headache and telling me to buy again.

Costco sells the best glasses in the world.

Actually even cheaper is rx-safety.com. Costco pricing is great but they don't carry the frames I like or do curved grinds.

Rx safety prices are great, but by the time you add in safety thickness, anti scratch, fog, glare, progressive, transition, blah blah that shit is expensive.

I've always found great pricing on smith goggles and brain buckets on steep and cheep, mountain steals and amazon.

Outdoor Master. So hot right now.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Just checked the Smith site to see what’s up with this years . 280 bucks for a pair of goggles?!
    Well, if you insist on this year's fashion, you'll pay this year's prices.

Or just wait until May or June and buy goggles for $30-40. Or Bolle at Costco now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Outdoor Master. So hot right now.
    wait... I'm still kool with my OMs? I thought that was only for last season... phew

smith IO goggles, old colors, $80.

http://www.ebaystores.com/asogear/_i...4&_sop=2&_sc=1

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Psssht! You expect me to ski without magnets on my face!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

How do they fucking work?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Godamn, Magnets you say?! No wonder they cost so much, it’s like rare earths!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Still rocking IOs here. After seven seasons, foam gave out on a pair. I have an assortment of IO lenses, so I bought new IOs. A lot cheaper than whatever their cool goggles are now.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post

I wish it was easier to find replacement lenses for my I/OX's that are still going strong.
    Same boat my favorite goggle ever, do a saved search on Ebay.

BTW didja get a mexi-melt yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Still rocking IOs here. After seven seasons, foam gave out on a pair. I have an assortment of IO lenses, so I bought new IOs. A lot cheaper than whatever their cool goggles are now.
    Yup, been rocking IOs since like 2010. Have one pair that the foam is done on and another on the way out. Just got a new pair this summer so now I have like 6 or 7 lenses?

You do realize you don’t need to buy the most expensive model they make right?

You don’t go to buy an f150 and complain that the king ranch is ridiculously priced even though you can get a tradesman work truck version for half as much with the same engine and transmission in it.

Same thing with goggles, the io comes in the same lens tints as the mag and 4d mag, but without magnets can be had for half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup, been rocking IOs since like 2010. Have one pair that the foam is done on and another on the way out. Just got a new pair this summer so now I have like 6 or 7 lenses?
    Same same. My IOs have lasted several years and are still my daily driver.

They'll warrantee that.

I too have back-up pair of I/O goggles. The I/OX tend to get resort duty.

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    They'll warrantee that.
    There's a point where I feel I've surpassed the lifetime of the product. Like, I actually feel a little guilty sending something in after the years they've been through. Especially when I didn't pay for them in the first place.

There's a point where I feel I've surpassed the lifetime of the product. Like, I actually feel a little guilty sending something in after the years they've been through. Especially when I didn't pay for them in the first place.
    And we wonder why this shit goes up in price... Warranties should be used when the failure is a manufacturer issue not because of use over several years and wear and tear...

Also, I have several pairs of I/OXs and Oakley Flight Decks new and never paid more than 50% of the original price... I love the shit out of end of year sales..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, my pair with beat foam has probably 300+ days on them. I'm okay with that.

Smith Optics WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

Also, I have several pairs of I/OXs new and never paid more than 50% of the original price... I love the shit out of end of year sales..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Amen to that^^^^

I don’t submit for warranty when I do dumb shit and things break. Probably left some dough on the table over the years. Oh well.