has anyone shipped their skis to japan for a trip?

starting to plan a trip to hokkaido and I was wondering if anyone has simply fedexed their skis ahead of them to make sure they arrive and to make the trip a little easier? Tips and advice appreciated

It's not really *that* big of a deal to travel with your skis. Having dealt with FedEx delivery bullshit before, I'll take my chances with the airlines. (going to Japan this January)

ive investigated several times, and it almost always turns out cheaper to pay the extra baggage fees to fly with them instead.

perhaps instead, when you arrive you can drop them off at yamato transport (aka black cat) and they'll get them to wherever you're skiing really quickly and reliably. they have booths literally in the airports.
    they dont speak english, but its not hard to communicate to a shipping company that you want to ship something
    pretty sure they also offer a shipping delay type deal if you want them to hold onto them for a while before they actually ship them. plus i reckon most accommodation providers would be happy to accept your gear a day or two before you arrive.

It was like $600 + to ship skis when I looked into it. Hassle free but big money. The resort at rusutsu has an actual shipping dock that you just drop them at.

Much cheaper to fly with them.

Black cat apparently is awesome once your in country but there is a significant lag time in getting the skis to the destination.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Thanks guys. Obviously I want to save $ where I can, but I definitely want to make sure I arrive there with my gear and I thought if it wasn’t too pricey maybe pre shipping a bag was the way to go. Perhaps not, but this is the biggest trip I’ve done in far too long and I’d be bummed if airlines lost or delayed my skis

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    Thanks guys. Obviously I want to save $ where I can, but I definitely want to make sure I arrive there with my gear and I thought if it wasn’t too pricey maybe pre shipping a bag was the way to go. Perhaps not, but this is the biggest trip I’ve done in far too long and I’d be bummed if airlines lost or delayed my skis

Don't book a ticket with a short transfer at any of the stages.
    Arrive early at the airport, have a frequent flyer membership, use the money to upgrade to next level of ticket

i would definatley want to fly over with my skis but once you are there from what I hear its very common to ship your skis to/from the resort in japan
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    starting to plan a trip to hokkaido and I was wondering if anyone has simply fedexed their skis ahead of them to make sure they arrive and to make the trip a little easier? Tips and advice appreciated
    Just check them. Fly one of the international airlines (EVA had the best deals last I checked, free bags). If you're backpacking it up, make sure your bag has comfy straps, obv.

Skis flew free on the airline I took, I think most will if your checking into a international airport, if you have to do a domestic flight first you might get charged. I was a bit stressed about finding room on the train I took from the airport, but queued up early and got them on no problem.

A ski bag with wheels is key

Al Nippon checks ski bags for free!

>15 years of nonstop winter with many longhaul flights in between. au/nz -> japan -> usa -> au/nz etc, and airlines have only lost my baggage twice.
    ive had more delays with aircraft malfunctions and emergency landings than i have had baggage issues.

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    >15 years of nonstop winter.
    I need this.

TAQBIN

TA-Q-BIN will ship your skis to/from airport and resort. Have not used it but supposedly it is very fast/reliable. I may do that when I go this February, dragging my 200cm pow skis in a non-wheeled bag through several train stations was more hassle than I anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by zfanatic View Post
    TA-Q-BIN will ship your skis to/from airport and resort. Have not used it but supposedly it is very fast/reliable. I may do that when I go this February, dragging my 200cm pow skis in a non-wheeled bag through several train stations was more hassle than I anticipated.
    We used TA-Q-BIN last year to ship skis between Hakuba and Niseko since we were spending a couple of days in Tokyo between ski resorts. Super smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by thudder View Post
    We used TA-Q-BIN last year to ship skis between Hakuba and Niseko since we were spending a couple of days in Tokyo between ski resorts. Super smooth.
    How was the process of return shipping back to the airport? I want to spend a couple days in Tokyo on the tail end and not having to drag them to the capsule hotel would be a major plus, and storing them at the luggage desks would probably cost about the same as just TAQBINing them and picking them up on the way out.

Dakine Fall Line Ski Roller Bag. Changed my life for traveling with skis compared to the old school carry bags. You can easily get a pair of skis, all your gear, and everything else you need for a week long trip in the bag if you plan accordingly. I just carry on my boots and everything else goes in the ski bag.

No, checked baggage.
    But when you get to Japan, the Black Cat luggage service is absolutely amazing. We usually send our gear ahead to whereever we are skiing via Black Cat (costs like $40) spend a couple days in Tokyo then when you get to your lodging, your stuff is there awaiting you, always.

Quote Originally Posted by zfanatic View Post
    How was the process of return shipping back to the airport? I want to spend a couple days in Tokyo on the tail end and not having to drag them to the capsule hotel would be a major plus, and storing them at the luggage desks would probably cost about the same as just TAQBINing them and picking them up on the way out.
    i havent done it myself, but last year a friend organized black cat (aka yamato, aka taqbin) to come pick up his ski bag on a specific date and time and ship it to the airport, and he left the bags and some cash with me at my place. he didn't seem to need to know any japanese and organized it on the phone the week earlier.
    they came right on time (almost to the minute) and i just handed them over and its done.
    no messing about at post office/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pman View Post
    Dakine Fall Line Ski Roller Bag. Changed my life for traveling with skis compared to the old school carry bags. You can easily get a pair of skis, all your gear, and everything else you need for a week long trip in the bag if you plan accordingly. I just carry on my boots and everything else goes in the ski bag.
    i used to have an expensive fancy ski roller bag, but it got destroyed. i like my dakine bag instead now tho. its lighter for one thing, 1/3 the price, and does the same job.
    i also travel with a 4 wheeled suitcase (yes i have lots of shit).
    i hook the handle at the tip of the ski bag over the extendable handle of the suitcase, and can push the whole setup around with just 1 finger. its great for those long walks between gates.