1up Heavy Duty, Super Heavy Duty or Equip - D

It's time to pull the trigger on a 1up. It will be a four bike/ 2" set up. Any wisdom from the collective on which one. Road, Trail and DH bikes, but nothing in the plus or full fat range. I'm thinking Super Heavy Duty because they aren't that much more, and the Equip D are pretty FKN spendy.

What says the all knowing sprocket rocket collective.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

I used the 4-bike heavy duty version on some of the roughest roads in the southwest, and never had a problem. If it's marginally more, go for the "super HD" version, but I'm not sure it's really necessary.

1up Heavy Duty, Super Heavy Duty or Equip - D

I have the standard one. I couldn’t think of a reason to buy a more burly one, they are pretty stout for a trailer hitch rack (considering the competition)

Edit to add: the only way these racks fail is if it gets hit by another vehicle. In that case the burly ones probably won’t make a difference...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

As a past owner, I'll add that resale is really easy if you are near a metro area. Treat yo' self!

Pretty classic goldilocks pricing, 1up wants you to buy the super duty, be a rebel!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    not so friendly to road bikes. Hard to beat for shuttles.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    not so friendly to road bikes.
    Road bikes?

Why are you trying to get yourself run over?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Bumping this because: time to buy a 1up (got rear-ended with the RockyMounts hitch rack - bikes fine, rack not so much).

The 1up website has scanty info on the diffs. Any more recent opinions on Equip-D vs Heavy Duty vs Super HD? We'll be on rough dirt roads occasionally, but not actual off-road (for which a hitch mount sounds like the wrong thing anyhow). We'll be doing a rack for 3 bikes: each around 30 lbs. (no fat, plus, or puss-E-bikes ) - mtb's most of the time, but occasionally road and gravel rigs.

Which one should we get? Pros/Cons?

FYI: 1up bought NorthShore, so post I'm replying to is mostly moot (not what we're looking for in any case).

Isn’t the super duty just a beefed up tray so you can carry heavy ebikes?

HD is plenty for everything else and still good for nicer ebikes.

I have an HD 2-tray and Super HD single tray. Or maybe it's a Super HD 2-tray and HD single tray. I don't know, I can't tell the difference and both are burly af. I probably wouldn't spend the extra next time since I literally couldn't tell you which one is the upgraded version. Maybe more of a factor with 3+ bikes or ebikes.

I just had to replace my 1up and went SD single + an add on for two reasons:

- OG "Quikrack" has the 1-1/4" to 2" convertible mode, which IME isn't as solid as the 2" all the time mode.
    - I run a single tray regularly, and use the add-on as necessary. This is nice because you don't ever have to mess with the tray to open van doors, hatches, or tailgates. It's low profile enough that I rarely fold it up. Equip D looks like much more hassle to add/remove trays etc.

If I wasn't ever going to run one tray I'd just buy whatever version fits a 2" receiver and is the cheapest.

Actually 1up purchased Recon Racks…. Not NS. Also even with the SD setup in 3-4 bike mode we get a Ton of vertical flex/play on rough roads - Not Good. Love the 1up in 1 or 2 bike mode but not a fan when we have the 3-4 bike setup. New LOLO 6 pack showing up this week. 1up is now relegated to wife’s car in 2 bike mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Actually 1up purchased Recon Racks…. Not NS. Also even with the SD setup in 3-4 bike mode we get a Ton of vertical flex/play on rough roads - Not Good. Love the 1up in 1 or 2 bike mode but not a fan when we have the 3-4 bike setup. New LOLO 6 pack showing up this week. 1up is now relegated to wife’s car in 2 bike mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hmm, Recon...right (very similar to NS - and lolo it would seem, though haven't done the research).

In any case, we're 2" hitch, and will be set up for 3 bikes at all times (so switching addons off/on not an issue). Vertical compliance on rough roads would seem inevitable, to some degree, with whatever rack - fine as long as it doesn't cause clearance/bike-rub/failure issues. The RockyMounts has been pretty rigid for sure (as long as you keep wedging the hitch wedge in on a regular basis). But the departure angle is terrible (even when folded up with no bikes - crappy design, where not only does it stick straight back from the hitch, but there is a piece at the furthest out point, that hangs below the hitch, scraping sometimes even just in parking lots).

That's one thing I like about the 1up: angles up from the hitch (better departure angle, and presumably fewer bar/saddle interference issues).

So what about the Equip-D? I think it's latest/greatest, but...lower per-bike weight capacity - wtf? It's the only one that seems to show up in recent reviews, so it would seem to have some advantages over the older models. The 1up website does not exactly articulate this though (they really need a new copy writer!). Anyone have Equip-D, or opinions about it?

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...o-shipping-pls

x-post

Brand new, in the box, never opened. List price is $ 790.00 and includes shipping costs.

If you want it and can pick it up, $ 775.00 I drive regularly to Big Sky and would meet Helena Mags at CC or if you pay the retail price I will cover shipping.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 07-17-2022 at 01:48 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Check their FAQs, the differences are detailed there. Also check the FAQ on trailer/rv rated racks. I just bought one, very impressed with the quality.

https://www.1up-usa.com/faq/

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I've had my 1up work itself loose on the hitch on dirt roads a couple of times lately. Not the end of the world as I always have a locking pin, but that's something that could never happen on something like a Yakima HoldUp where they slap a lock-core on the tightening knob.
    I've seen people on other forums suggest it might have something to do with the tolerances/squareness of the receiver...and admittedly I went with the $180 draw-tite hitch rather than the ~$400 Torklift EcoHitch that was much higher quality. Mostly because I could install the draw-tite without pulling the bumper fascia, taillights, and sensors...and also $220...but the draw-tite is clearly not precision manufacturing.

I've come up with an idea for a little cap that would fit over the tightening screw and prevent it from loosening. Might have someone machine one for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    That's one thing I like about the 1up: angles up from the hitch (better departure angle, and presumably fewer bar/saddle interference issues).

So what about the Equip-D? I think it's latest/greatest, but...lower per-bike weight capacity - wtf? It's the only one that seems to show up in recent reviews, so it would seem to have some advantages over the older models. The 1up website does not exactly articulate this though (they really need a new copy writer!). Anyone have Equip-D, or opinions about it?
    The angle-up thing is really quite nice, and I assume it only gets better as you go to 3 and 4 bike racks. You can still have saddle/bar conflicts, but between several inches of fore-aft adjustment and the fact that you can choose which bike goes in which slot, it should be resolvable. E.g. my XL FS and my wife's M hardtail get along better if my bike is loaded first, but they can still be made to fit with her bike on first and a bit of fore-aft adjustment.

I had the same thoughts on the Equip-D. Just didn't see the value. Maybe the wheel-arm levers are less finicky? First time users of the 1up sometimes struggle, but they learn quick (you only raise the lever a little bit--too much or too little and the arm sticks...you don't just yank it up as hard as you can).

It also loses the folding feature which is nice for storage (technically I guess you can still fold it, but you have to remove 4 bolts on a double rack). The only feature I like is that they include a release handle in a convenient location.

speaking of the release handle, this thing is probably essential if you have more than 2 trays installed:
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/
    Even with 2 bikes loaded it can be hard to get under and pull the lever to tilt the rack back.

I've been working on a lightweight* alternative using low-stretch dyneema cord:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-18 112953.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	421803

This test setup has been working well. You can just grab the end of the rack and squeeze the stick with your fingers.

Next step is to swap the cord out for uncovered bare dyneema with spliced loops for a nice clean install with less friction. Will replace the dowel with a piece of black aluminum (or maybe carbon!) tube from a broken ski pole.

Still pondering the best way to attach to the end of the rack and tension the system. Instead of looping the dyneema through and trying to tie it tight (harder with bare dyneema since knots like to slip), I might just go with short lengths of shock cord.

*yes, weight is not exactly important in this application, but the 1up solution weighs like 5lb (>10% of the system!), costs $80, and sticks out several inches...

It maxes out at 3 bikes, but the new Rocky Mounts Guiderail seems like a nicer 1up in most respects so far. The action of the arms and the raising/lowering of the rack are way smoother, the handle to raise/lower the rack is more accessible and way less janky, and the latches on the arms cam open so you can do it all one handed. The anti-woble system is beefier and can't back itself off (I've also had my 1up come loose on rough roads), and the integrated lock system is very slick and seems super burly. It does sit a little higher than the 1up, for better or worse - there's more ground clearance, but I can't open the tailgate on my 3rd gen Tacoma without lowering the rack from the horizontal position, which I could with the 1up (if no bikes were loaded, of course). And the Rocky doesn't fold up for storage. But overall I'm really into it.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    It maxes out at 3 bikes, but the new Rocky Mounts Guiderail seems like a nicer 1up in most respects so far. The action of the arms and the raising/lowering of the rack are way smoother, the handle to raise/lower the rack is more accessible and way less janky, and the latches on the arms cam open so you can do it all one handed. The anti-woble system is beefier and can't back itself off (I've also had my 1up come loose on rough roads), and the integrated lock system is very slick and seems super burly. It does sit a little higher than the 1up, for better or worse - there's more ground clearance, but I can't open the tailgate on my 3rd gen Tacoma without lowering the rack from the horizontal position, which I could with the 1up (if no bikes were loaded, of course). And the Rocky doesn't fold up for storage. But overall I'm really into it.
    A rack with integrated chain locks rather than dinky cables? Damn, looks pretty good.

55" wheelbase and 60lb max, sub-50lb rack weight (2-bike), looks like metal construction everywhere important. I'm digging it.

This really seems like the sort of innovation 1up should have landed on with the Equip-D. High price, but I'd be looking at this if I had to buy another 2-bike rack (and at least with RockyMounts there's a chance of buying at a discount via a major retailer).

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post

Still pondering the best way to attach to the end of the rack and tension the system. Instead of looping the dyneema through and trying to tie it tight (harder with bare dyneema since knots like to slip), I might just go with short lengths of shock cord.
    This is sick and seems dialed!

My lazier solution was just a loop of 6mm cord, both ends hitched to the lower bar, and then looped up through the bolt holes and out the back. Just grab the loop sticking out the back of the rack and yank and it adjusts very easily,

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    This is sick and seems dialed!

My lazier solution was just a loop of 6mm cord, both ends hitched to the lower bar, and then looped up through the bolt holes and out the back. Just grab the loop sticking out the back of the rack and yank and it adjusts very easily,
    Well I know what I'm doing tonight. That sounds dead simple and I'm embarrassed I hadn't thought to do something similar already.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Thanks for all the good input while I've been out of town and out of radio contact.

This Guiderail is interesting for sure. The 3rd bike extension is not available until September, but I've cobbled the wounded, existing RockyMounts SplitRail 3-place back into shape at least for now, after the rear-ending (hung tough on some semi-gnar dirt roads this past week), so I think I can make it that long.

Questions:

- Ground clearance/departure angles better than 1up? Guiderail goes our straight horizontal, then up, whereas the 1up seems to angle up immediately. This is a real concern for me, as the Splitrail has a flat-out stupid design in this regard.

- Is the Guiderail all or at least mostly metal construction? That's part of the appeal of the 1up (e.g. the plastic nearest the exhaust on the Splitrail is cracking). And is it aluminum mostly, or steel? The Splitrail's steel parts are starting to show rust (WHY can't bike rack makers have an automotive-qualiy finish? Can't be that hard).

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Thanks for all the good input while I've been out of town and out of radio contact.

This Guiderail is interesting for sure. The 3rd bike extension is not available until September, but I've cobbled the wounded, existing RockyMounts SplitRail 3-place back into shape at least for now, after the rear-ending (hung tough on some semi-gnar dirt roads this past week), so I think I can make it that long.

Questions:

- Ground clearance/departure angles better than 1up? Guiderail goes our straight horizontal, then up, whereas the 1up seems to angle up immediately. This is a real concern for me, as the Splitrail has a flat-out stupid design in this regard.

- Is the Guiderail all or at least mostly metal construction? That's part of the appeal of the 1up (e.g. the plastic nearest the exhaust on the Splitrail is cracking). And is it aluminum mostly, or steel? The Splitrail's steel parts are starting to show rust (WHY can't bike rack makers have an automotive-qualiy finish? Can't be that hard).
    The receiver on the Guiderail stays low a little longer than the 1up but the trays sit slightly higher. So pros and cons departure angle wise.

The receiver and main hinge portion of the Guiderail are steel. The trays are pretty much all aluminum.