Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Day Drinking

I will be transitioning to remote work in July. Should I decommission my kegerator? Talk about enablers...
    Uno mas

As someone who worked remote for the past 10 years I can guarantee that if you're a mid or low level analyst or have any customer service required they do randomly pull folks in to live WebEx with camera required from time to time to be sure we're not wasted.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

too easy to miss out on skiing, biking, hiking, put me in my raft and I'll likely toss back a few, but as a general rule I try to hold on for 5-6 pm. Any social event however nullifies the rule.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5050101.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	277199
    Drinko de Mayo A-Basin

Day Drinking

^that’s pretty much how I feel. I won’t be getting to where I want to be with my fitness if I’m hitting up breweries at noon without some social reasoning behind the decision. Not that day drinking isn’t awesome... it rules.

The more I drink, the more I should be smoking weed. For abstinence or moderation purposes. I also work mostly from home, but it is harder for me to lay off the temptation to smoke weed with that.

My favorite drinking is after running a 5 or 10k. Those usually start at around 9a.m. and done by 10a.m. Hit the bar they're usually held near and are sponsored by. Have a beer or 5...done by 2pm. Go home, take shower, nap, and start the day over completely refreshed.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Try having a home office. Only strict discipline keeps happy hour from starting at noon every day.
    I have a home office, and a 4pm rule.
    Unless there is a soccer match

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I am a fan of teh day drinkingz. The wife is not and I always get busted.

[
    I remember quite well and almost mentioned " except when an unnamed mags wife gets angry at us" in the OP

As to Bars during the day, it depends on the bar.
    Lots of bars in NYC full of tourists & business folks that are done with whatever sales calls, etc they were on.

Irish bars in most Eastern Cities are usually not so depressing due to lunch, soccer matches, etc. Johnny's local dive bar anywhere with no natural light doesnt look good in the day with the sun beaming in through the cracks or when the front door opens.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    too easy to miss out on skiing, biking, hiking, put me in my raft and I'll likely toss back a few, but as a general rule I try to hold on for 5-6 pm. Any social event however nullifies the rule.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5050101.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	277199
    Drinko de Mayo A-Basin
    I don't appear to be in that picture. But I know a number who are. Including a couple of mags, one judge, and some vagrants.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    As someone who worked remote for the past 10 years I can guarantee that if you're a mid or low level analyst or have any customer service required they do randomly pull folks in to live WebEx with camera required from time to time to be sure we're not wasted.
    My laptop camera has a piece of cardboard taped over it. Lots of WebEx meetings, video not required so far. The execs all have video enabled, fortunately I don't have to chat with them very often. And, I am not sure Linux even supports the camera. Since I don't drink on the job, that's not my worry. I just don't like the privacy implications.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I remember quite well and almost mentioned " except when an unnamed mags wife gets angry at us" in the OP
    ha. She wasn't happy that day. But all-you-can-drink wine at 8000 feet in hot sunshine...that was the last time I ever saw Stump, remember his car got locked inside the gate somehow and he had to go drunk 4-wheeling to get it out? Good times, good times...

There was a day last summer that things got out of hand, I was posting on here shattered all day and she was supposed to be out of town that night but came home unexpectedly, "to surprise me". Oh she surprised me all right. That didn't go well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There was a day last summer that things got out of hand, I was posting on here shattered all day and she was supposed to be out of town that night but came home unexpectedly, "to surprise me". Oh she surprised me all right. That didn't go well at all.
    What was she expecting to come home to, exactly?

Not really sure. The whole thing was pretty wack really. The fact that it made no sense didn't keep her from getting all bent about it though. At 3:00 she was 500 miles away, and at 8:00 she walked in the door. Decided she didn't need to stay overnight, changed her flight on Southwest, and just came home. Which normally would have been fine but that day posed a bit of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't appear to be in that picture. But I know a number who are. Including a couple of mags, one judge, and some vagrants.
    I plead the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I plead the 5th.
    before a judge, so you're all good.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If one only drinks at night, that only leaves the day to sleep

IME no job just sking/biking/paddling & drinking beer is a slippery slope so I try to limit the day drinking to almost never

I had a paddling buddy who said he never used to drink every day till he moved to the Valley, he has since moved away

quitter eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I also prefer day drinking to evening drinking- you can still get to bed at a reasonable hour and sleep it off vs raging all night and feeling doubly terrible due to the additional lack of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    My favorite drinking is after running a 5 or 10k. Those usually start at around 9a.m. and done by 10a.m. Hit the bar they're usually held near and are sponsored by. Have a beer or 5...done by 2pm. Go home, take shower, nap, and start the day over completely refreshed.
    yesss. fitness already accomplished early so why not?

On this thread subject-I think my office would benefit from a bar like the executives of yore, Jack Doneghy on 30 rock etc. Is this acceptable these days?
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post

On this thread subject-I think my office would benefit from a bar like the executives of yore, Jack Doneghy on 30 rock etc. Is this acceptable these days?
    I'd prefer Don Draper, but unfortunately: it isn't. Apparently, functional alcoholism is practiced only in private...then joked about in public.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Day drinking? I approve!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

As a brewer I am required to day drink.
    watch out for snakes

i was kind of perturbed that I missed the PHX open this year.

though I’d equally enjoy drinking in a quiet bar

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I also prefer day drinking to evening drinking- you can still get to bed at a reasonable hour and sleep it off vs raging all night and feeling doubly terrible due to the additional lack of sleep.
    ^^This! Well, in theory. Problem is a full day of drinking (typically on a river) rarely seems to turn into an early night for me. All it usually means is a shift from beer to whiskey as the sun goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    ^^This! Well, in theory. Problem is a full day of drinking (typically on a river) rarely seems to turn into an early night for me. All it usually means is a shift from beer to whiskey as the sun goes down.
    On a river, it's a gateway drug to mushrooms.

On days it's storming so bad that SVAM is closed, I like to sit behind my front windows, watch the blizzard, and sip an Islay scotch, or sometimes bourbon. I've been drinking a lot of scotch the last few years--I think they were closed 20+ days last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And who knew Howard Stern was an A-Basin regular?