Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Praxis Quixote - Jumped the Shark or Legit?

So I read some information on the new Tabke-designed Praxis Quixote HERE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quixote-profile-specs.jpg 
Views:	1458 
Size:	904.3 KB 
ID:	193352

I searched and did not find any discussion on this ski. It appears to be an asymmetrical powder ski with "Offset Taper" and "Multi-Dimensional Sidecut", an idea that Praxis/Tabke has been working on for some time, supposedly. This requires the skis to be Left/Right foot specific, and according to the site "this creates a longer effective edge for the downhill ski compared to the uphill ski, a design that recognizes, and balances, the variable forces applied to each ski during a turn. The result is an incredibly balanced, two-footed platform for the rider, allowing for a more comfortable, powerful and fall-line approach to the mountain, perfectly tuned to take on any line you can imagine."

Legit science or marketing psycho-babble ? Discuss.

There's been a lot of discussion already in the Praxis 2016 thread, even comments from Tabke himself! Check there.. Its up to everyone else is the Quixote needs a new thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    There's been a lot of discussion already in the Praxis 2016 thread, even comments from Tabke himself! Check there.. Its up to everyone else is the Quixote needs a new thread though.
    That's what I get searching by thread title not contents... well, I will leave this here and the mods can erase if they see fit. Thanks.

Scotty Bobs?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Scotty Bobs?
    Scotty Bob shortened the inside edge of the ski in the tail only, and moved the center of the sidecut forward on the outside edge. This ski keeps the center of the sidecut the same on both skis, and shortens the inside edge in both the tip and tail (and by modifying the sidecut taper rather than a big cutout).

So similar concepts but not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Scotty Bob shortened the inside edge of the ski in the tail only, and moved the center of the sidecut forward on the outside edge. This ski keeps the center of the sidecut the same on both skis, and shortens the inside edge in both the tip and tail (and by modifying the sidecut taper rather than a big cutout).

So similar concepts but not the same.
    Yeah, I know. Just saying this isn't a "new" idea. Movement had an asymmetrical ski too, there have been others.

I don't know that there has been another ski like this. I'm not certain I understand fully, but it sounds like on a groomer you wouldn't notice the difference much at all since the sidecut is the same. Of course it could be an experiment with little noticeable effect but it sounds worth trying out.

For what it's worth I tried the asymmetrical Cease and desists in both arrangements and didn't notice much of a difference. But I'm not that sensitive to things like that

The search function doesn't work. Welcome to TGR.

Try this...

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Praxis+quixote...y.com%2Fforums

This is just a guess, since I haven't skied the CnD, but I'd assume you'd notice the asymmetrical dims on the CnD less than the Quixote due to the rest of the design, mostly the massive amount of rocker and how much of a pow specific shape it has. The Quixote on the other hand (while it does look to be more soft snow oriented) looks to be quite bit more big mtn/all mtn design that uses the offset taper much more efficiently. I'd also guess you probly skied the CnD's on a pow day which makes a ton of since why you wouldn't notice the shape so much unless you were trying a lot of in snow switch ups or the snow was super heavy?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

My old G3 Tickets were asymmetrical. I believe their Rapid Transits were as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I think everyone is forgetting until this year the Ceast N Desist were uber fats with crazy rocker... To me it was a big mountain pow quiver ski and am a fan of ON3P skis, but this ski was a niche ski... Not even close to what the Q is going to be... And don't think the CnD has similar chararacteristics...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I think everyone is forgetting until this year the Ceast N Desist were uber fats with crazy rocker... To me it was a big mountain pow quiver ski and am a fan of ON3P skis, but this ski was a niche ski... Not even close to what the Q is going to be... And don't think the CnD has similar chararacteristics...
    I want saying they were similar beyond the asymmetry. I just threw that comment in to say I'm not the most sensitive to such design changes.

And I tested them on a day with a small amount of chopped up soft snow in the shade. Everything else was pretty spring effected. I was with three other posters and our first run was a shockingly shitty run on refrozen groomers. We did one run then went to the demo tent to try skis out

In the past they have used the C&D as kind of a test bed for design concepts since pretty much no one buys it. Funny how it's almost an actual ski people would consider. Much different from it's orignal roots.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    My old G3 Tickets were asymmetrical. I believe their Rapid Transits were as well.
    If I recall the Rapid Transit correctly, the edge that was on the inside of the turn (i.e. the edge under your little toe) had a shorter radius.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The new K2 Marksman is designed the same way. The Elan Amphibo line has a similar premise. If you are doing butters & spins, it makes sense to have your outside edges short, so it does not get caught, while leaving a longer inside edge for edge hold in turns. So I guess there is some "science" behind the design. Not just "marketing hype". * I have not skied any of these skis mentioned.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

First time Tabke has had it out in competition & he took the #1 spot today. Of course it is alto... But still, that's some strong evidence that the ski did what he wanted it to do.

I've skied the 188 about 5 days and like it a bunch. Due to random circumstance, most of that time has been on groomers. I really need to take it out head to head against some other things like the GPO in varied conditions for a fair comparison. It is worth noting that the Quixote is total work of art.

Video link snagged from the main Praxis thread:

Book em Danno
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Do they come in 650b?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Anyone have any comparisons to a BG? I'm down to these two as my middle ski between my Protests and Black Crows Camox. I might want to snag the last pair of 188s. At 5'11" 185 I assume these would be the right length.

I can't compare to the BGs. But I can say that I'm around 220 these days and have had about six days of great fun on the 188s. I'd imagine they'd be ideal for someone your size. But the easy answer is to ask Keith given your specific info and preferences.

It is also worth watching Tabke's FWT runs. None of us are gonna ski like him (I suspect....) but I think seeing the skis in action is interesting.

These seem destined to be my "go to" skis.

I had the first gen 191 billy goats and 192 gpos. My go to ski has been the 190 bibby. I'm thinking that the 188 Quixote will be taking that spot. 5' 10" 165.

I love my 194's they're super smooth and easy to ski. As stable as the 192 bros but much easier to maneuver.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Decided to wait until the shorter summer run. After emailing Kieth he said that they tend to ski a little long. At least I already know what my mid width ski in my quiver will look like next year!

You're telling me...
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

OK, there's got to be a few more people on here who bought the ski. Let's see some more reviews, and if possible comparisons to the GPO or concepts.

-is this really a blend of the The best aspects of the GPO concept and protest?
    -which ski skis longer? Which is more Slarvy?
    -would you consider mounting to tech bindings and Ultralight core option?
    -would a skinny Q make any sense? That's idea has me salivating!