Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bootie Beers

Bootie Beers

Does your group enforce the bootie beer phenomena? I always thought it was like, you know, an internationally mandated tradition but was recently informed that Montana is one of the few places that takes it seriously.

Anyways, this shit lives proud in these parts....

Throwin horns...can't help it.

Busted shoulder bootie.

That's me powerin' down a PBR.

If you swim and don't drink you are a pussy!

(though BBRidgeKid should drink root beer, since I would never advocate underage drinking or anything else illegal!)

in training last week for the FIBArk DR race I swam out of my wildwater boat after breaking my wing paddle in half. It was my first swim in 13 years. Some people were trying to tell me I was OK because of gear failure....but I drank a bootie beer to preserve my karma.

It is a great tradition of whitewater paddling and if you are not observant you can't be part of our tribe.

If you swim, you must drink from thy bootie, fo shizzle.

Here's grainy ass video of my buddy taking a swim on the West Gallatin back in 2003. He flipped over, tried one roll, then you'll see his helmet floating. Thats when he decided it was time to pull the pin. I like how my buddy filmed long enough to capture the good carnage, then decided he had better throw the camera and get a throw rope.

J - if you get a chance when down in Bozeman, check that run out, its a blast.
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 06-16-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Bootie beer, no question.

The debate I hear is your bootie vs somebody else's bootie. I drink from my own, but have been given shit for this.

Root, that first pic needs to be submitted to HCWDB's, ya know with those horns and all.

Bootie beers except for beginners, your own boot, and no bullshit of keeping a new pair of boots in the car. It comes wet and stinky off your foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by hialtitude View Post
    Root, that first pic needs to be submitted to HCWDB's
    Oh, damn.

At least I'm not rocking any hair product or bad ink/piercings.

Oh the Mammaries... I love cute missoula boater betties and their openness to getting out of wet boating gear.

Oh booties, not boobies, shit haven't seen too many free range boobies out here.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

PBR and PBR out of a bootie - what's the difference?

We don't enforce it because I'd hate to ruin a good microbrew at the takeout with toejam.

Have never seen it enforced anywhere in the SE. Doesn't really bother me that it isnt.

Up here in the PNW, we roll with tripple tall skim mocha lattes bitches. (lukewarm for faster ingestion)

It probably depends on what crew you are with up here, ours will on occasion, but it's usually self-enforced. It's kind of silly overall, but I like the comraderie/tradition of it.

strict adherence to the bootie rule is mandatory

Here's a buddy of mine paying up for a swim

and I already posted this in the zambezi thread, but here's a tribute to my own bootie beer.

(quit pulling your head up loser...)
    Last edited by Gerome; 06-17-2008 at 04:45 PM.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    I was just on a MF Salmon trip, and a rafter flipped a raft. I busted my ass towing the raft into an eddy in my kayak, as the other rafter oaring the other boat jumped on the upside-down raft and started paddling it to help me out... the guy didn't even have a sense of humor when I told him that he owed me a Red Bull...

Don't rafters have to keep the spirit of the same law by doing something when they flip rafts? Because I thought this guy's reaction was uber-lame!

As for the beer gushing out of booties, I wouldn't know as I've never swam, and I don't even own a bootie!
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Stupidest tradition ever. OK, maybe not ever. But stupid nonetheless.

'course I haven't been in a boat in who knows how long...

I think it needs to be stated that bootie beers should just pertain to class IV/V, shits hitting the fan, I'm getting f'ing worked, pummeled by rocks, stuck in a hole, my skirt blew on the 25 footer, etc. NOT, I'm a beginner/intermediate who hasn't worked out their roll, omg that wave train screwed up my paddle placement, dood Shosone worked me today!

Good thread Root.

I fucking swam middle Ten Mile the other night, was so stupid I was laughing as I swam out.

At the take out, the 7 or so people we were paddling with asked me about doing a bootie beer. I said "I'll do one out of somebody elses bootie, but definitely not my own".

Drinking out of my booties right now would be imminent death. Before I swam, my booties smelled like a dead animal.

This topic was addressed this weekend at the take out with a group of friends. I have been trying to enforce the bootie policy with the group that I boat with, but lately it seems that I am the only one in the group who manages to swim every time.

I'd be a drunk if my crew made me adhere to this.

Sounds like you pussies need to come roll with the Missoula crew. Good luck trying to weasel your way out.

Here is a filthy close up...Leland is from NC but since he swam in MT, he felt totally obligated to do a bootie, and since he doesn't drink beer, this was a large quantity of tequila.

Full story: http://www.brushymountainpublishing....summer_01.html

As a new boater just breaking out of the intermediate stage I was unaware of this tradition until just recently. Wonder how it will go over the next time someone in the crew swims. Though I gotta say it can't be as bad as drinking out of size 12 rugby boot as was the penalty for all kinds of stupid shit back in those days but now I'm old and a bit of a wuss so we'll have to see.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by ruletherock View Post
    I was just on a MF Salmon trip, and a rafter flipped a raft. I busted my ass towing the raft into an eddy in my kayak, as the other rafter oaring the other boat jumped on the upside-down raft and started paddling it to help me out... the guy didn't even have a sense of humor when I told him that he owed me a Red Bull...

Don't rafters have to keep the spirit of the same law by doing something when they flip rafts? Because I thought this guy's reaction was uber-lame!

As for the beer gushing out of booties, I wouldn't know as I've never swam, and I don't even own a bootie!
    Rafter do maintain this sort of. At Tributary in Cali it goes like this
    Full dump (every customer swims, you stay in)= 12 pack
    guide swim= 12 pack
    some one gets your guide stick=12 pack
    you need a rope from another boat to get your raft unwrapped=1.75 whiskey
    flip=18 pack
    if your customer helps you back into the boat= 12 pack

Tha one about needing a rope from other boats is hilarious. If somebody wraps a boat they instantly have like 10 throw bags coming their way, which they don't want. The guide dealing with the wrapped boat is like ducking and batting the throw bags away. Rookies buy a shit load of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by madturtle View Post
    As a new boater just breaking out of the intermediate stage I was unaware of this tradition until just recently. Wonder how it will go over the next time someone in the crew swims. Though I gotta say it can't be as bad as drinking out of size 12 rugby boot as was the penalty for all kinds of stupid shit back in those days but now I'm old and a bit of a wuss so we'll have to see.
    I was actually just going to ask about this....I don't paddle, but played rugby in college...my guess is the tradition was adopted from there...at least I would guess that rugby has been around longer. Every time we messed up a song we had to "shoot the boot" and I don't even want to get started on if shit they put in there with the beer or what happens if you mess up twice in a row

no never ,actualy only heard of such a thing from Spence at kayakwest.com last year ,I think he gets down to montana being based in alberta

we have always boated " molson rules " which are if you swim you owe yer rescuer a beer,if you drop alot of gear you might owe 3 beers ,one each for the boat the paddle and yourself ... all of which encourages good boating practices

I have seen experianced boaters skulking around newbies waiting for a rescue and a free beer ,even seen them arguing over who gets to rescue the newbie
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-24-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    shit haven't seen too many free range boobies out here.
    How about at the Cheat Canyon takeout? Showtime and I saw a few free range boobies and beavers there, more than once if I remember correctly.

The quality of the betties in Missoula is out freaking standing this season.

TWO PICS DELETED BECAUSE SUBJECT HAS ZERO SENSE OF HUMOR AND IS SERIOUSLY BUTTHURT

Last edited by RootSkier; 07-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.

I don't get the point and it sure don't appeal

the way I read it when you swim you drink your own shitty tasting beer ... all it really compels anybody to do is maybe wash their booties more than once a year

With molson rules there are consequences for your mistakes ... missing a roll / not hanging on to your gear will cost you AND folks don't mind doing a rescue if they know they get free beer