Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Protest and billy goat. Maybe a Lhasa fat. But I love my protest and billy goat crushes

Rebuilding the 3+ ski quiver.

I ended up ordering a Mantra 102 and a Baron. Not sure how I feel about that binding but the package deal price was absurd, so...

Gonna debate the binding more when they arrive.

So this winter it’s a Renegade STH 16 and a Mantra 102 (Baron for now, may order CAST instead)

Still thinking of an MVP or a Hoji for a dedicated touring rig. And now that I have a Mantra 102 that can tour spring melt/freeze with traditional camber for firm entrances, the Hoji is screaming at me for touring real snow.

This makes a lot of sense;
    -Renegade/STH 16 for storm days.
    -Mantra 102/Baron for daily duty and corn tours. (anyone want to trade a P18 for a Baron?)
    -Hoji/Beast for the real days.
    Last edited by gaijin; 08-15-2019 at 04:30 AM.

if you like the ren then I'd be looking at hoji or gpo before mvp but that's just me maybe?

Just weighing in on the Hoji. I use the 2019 187 Hojis as a dedicated touring rig and have been really digging them. They dance that line between light weight enough to not wear you out, and substantial enough to ski well on most conditions (not so fun on bulletproof or coral reef). I recommend them, for sure. Plus the 2019s look really pretty with some G3 Ions on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ... Mantra .... Renegade
    Last year I had:
    BG with beast 16
    Black Damond carbon convert with Raider 14 (120mm, 1600g ski, 400g binding)

If I go to hakuba for a longer time I would have added my QST 106 with shifts, but probably put inserts for Raider 14.
    A ski that's good when the snow is shit is nice to have but a light setup is something I would use 30-50% of the days I think. There's a lot of terrain to be ridden.

Also for Hakuba, don't ski a ski without touring bindings. There is tons of terrain traps which you won't get out of if you can't skin out. It's not uncommon that people die that way in that area. It heard it even happened in the system of Hakuba 47, some guys got stuck when it got flat cuz of too much snow.

BTW, I also had Protests but used them twice in a month, regretting it both days so I guess opinions differ and BG rules

I'd just go renegade/hoji/Raven all with shifts if tourability is key. I have a huge quiver, up to 15 skis that see the snow each year. If I had to limit it to 3. That's what I'd do. Might switch hoji for devestators if resort frequently got choppy and firm. Raven is a great touring ski. Handles pow really well for being narrow as it is. And renegades are simply the best

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Gaijin, what do you end up doing?

I have a couple of days on the Fischer 102fr now (with P18s). Chalky 'NZ variable' conditions, and they were actually very good. Skied those and my Dynastar Pro Riders, and while the Pro Riders were of course much more damp and missile-like, the 102fr held their own. A good little test for them.

They felt lively and light under my feet, but still allowed me to ski fast and with big turns. Not teeth-rattling by any means.

More next week.
    Now that they're building a 191 this ski is top of list. Updates? You on the 184?

Ohh i like this thread.

192 Dynastar Pro Riders W/ Pivot 18s
    189 Pro-To Legends w/ CAST
    188 Woodsman 105/188 Moment Commander 105/ 188 Dynastar Legend 106x (high 180s for all these skis more or less) W/Cast

Need to fill that mid 100 playful/touring option..

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Now that they're building a 191 this ski is top of list. Updates? You on the 184?
    Are you referring to the Ranger 102 FR in a 191 length or a different ski?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Are you referring to the Ranger 102 FR in a 191 length or a different ski?

Yes, the Ranger 102 FR is coming in a 191 this year. Doesn't look like it's made it to North America yet. But you can already find it for sale on euro sites.

Yes, the Ranger 102 FR is coming in a 191 this year. Doesn't look like it's made it to North America yet. But you can already find it for sale on euro sites.
    I’m very interested. I’ll have to check out the euro sites and see what I can find.

but man those rens are specialized tools. i've got to line them out only a couple of times and i was surprised and giggling, but those ops / conditions are so rare. were scary on snowbasin crust. ravens and devs are gtg in many conditions. have not figured out the old hojis too well, still learnin them though.

thinking or trying to trade the big rens and big hojis with tyrolia tour bindings for someone elses 2nd setups (not 4frnt). anyone want to switch skis to try and make a trade, let me know. may be at one of your home mountains this year (ikon).

i run ravens and devs consistently in all conditions. wish for conditions for the rens.

Dang!

Would have loved the 191. But then again, the 184 will be great for mixed resort and touring, which was the point.