Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I believe they found him by the big rock up near where the trail splits off, (still below the falls), per the sheriff. I interpreted it that he had started to skin up the trail/drainage before the falls, when it came down.

I also think one of the articles indicated he was a "Backcountry skier". Sounds like he had some gear, skins maybe but not sure about a beacon?

Sorry for all involved, these things touch everyone in town.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    curious where the info came from that the skier was skinning up something called the Death Chute. I would think if you were skinning up something called the Death Chute you would turn your beacon on even solo.
    1. There is no such place called "death chute" in Bear Creek.
    2. The victim was essentially xc skiing/hiking on the popular trail (at base of the chute) when he was hit. Yes, unbelievably bad timing.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    II probably was not particularly clear, but the point I was making is that the tight chute right under the house is not Tempter, which tops out just a little farther up See Forever, although the slide in the picture is on the skier's left side of the Tempter "run".
    That IS the Tempter House in the picture. And that IS Tempter Chute below it.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

I love bear creek, it's like east vail on roids. But why this, makes no sense?:

Mr. Garcia-Atance was reportedly skinning up the Bear Creek Trail having started his ascent from the trailhead in the Town of Telluride.

Sorry for the confusion. Looks like I was wrong on a several counts. Been skiing the Telluride area off and on for many years and have always thought Temper "run" was skied from farther up the ridge (as seen in the attached video) and that the chute right under the house actually had a different name. I apologize for butting into a tragic situation with misinformation. Bear Creek is an incredibly beautiful and dangerous place. This is a classic example of people suffering results and consequences they never imagined when they each started their respective runs. In many places the walls going from the area into the canyon are so steep you can not see the top from the bottom and vice versa. Like with all bc skiing, in Bear Creek you always need to think beyond where you can see. Both below and above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LQtdT1xSHo
    Gravity Junkie

Sorry for the confusion. Looks like I was wrong on a several counts. Been skiing the Telluride area off and on for many years and have always thought Temper "run" was skied from farther up the ridge (as seen in the attached video) and that the chute right under the house actually had a different name. I apologize for butting into a tragic situation with misinformation. Bear Creek is an incredibly beautiful and dangerous place. This is a classic example of people suffering results and consequences they never imagined when they each started their respective runs. In many places the walls going from the area into the canyon are so steep you can not see the top from the bottom and vice versa. Like with all bc skiing, in Bear Creek you always need to think beyond where you can see. Both below and above.

Man, that exit is sketchy AF.....no choice but to ski the gut of the chute with all of the terrain above funneling in....no thanks.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I love bear creek, it's like east vail on roids. But why this, makes no sense?:

Mr. Garcia-Atance was reportedly skinning up the Bear Creek Trail having started his ascent from the trailhead in the Town of Telluride.
    Seems like he was out for some exercise/fresh air and happened to win the "wrong place, wrong time" lottery. Makes perfect sense to me.

Wow. Terrible news. RIP man vibes.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I blame CRS, bro.

As a result, however, I have a much clearer picture of Bear Creek than I had skiing by (and some in) and staring at it for decades. It truly knocks the legs out of how special it is for a guy going on a tour in a beautiful place, in snow not seen in years and others stoked to ride it.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-21-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Condolences to the family.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Just awful

Bear Creek is an amazing zone... and a scary zone

One wonders if there is potential liability here with it being illegal for the triggering party to enter the start zone as they did
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The skier's exit is a move left after the tube and before the cliffs/gulley. The victim was below that area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hE9O7oDpXQ
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Looks like there are multiple slide paths that cross the trail? How can it be open anytime there's an avi risk?

As my momma used to say, "that's just an accident waitin' to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Looks like there are multiple slide paths that cross the trail? How can it be open anytime there's an avi risk?

As my momma used to say, "that's just an accident waitin' to happen."
    How many million acres of National Forests and BLM Land are exposed to avalanche hazard everyday? It is a big bad world out there buddy and mommy ain't gonna be there all the time. Did you think about what you wrote? Do you mean it? You are honestly in favor of having some arbiter "open" and "close" federal land to recreation based on avalanche hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    How many million acres of National Forests and BLM Land are exposed to avalanche hazard everyday? It is a big bad world out there buddy and mommy ain't gonna be there all the time. Did you think about what you wrote? Do you mean it? You are honestly in favor of having some arbiter "open" and "close" federal land to recreation based on avalanche hazard.
    Easy there big fella. Maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t this a popular hiking trail that starts in town? Hard to expect the average trail user in that situation to have any avalanche awareness. If its really considered backcounty, then yes, I agree w/ you 100%

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

well the point I think is that the forest service typically doesn’t just close trails, it being public land etc

It’s the most popular hike in town.

Easy there big fella. Maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t this a popular hiking trail that starts in town? Hard to expect the average trail user in that situation to have any avalanche awareness. If its really considered backcounty, then yes, I agree w/ you 100%

You really think that trailheads which access public land should be closed based on avalanche danger? By whom? Under what conditions? Should it just be closed from November 1 to June 15? Seems like a slippery slope toward an outright prohibition on wintertime access to mountainous areas. Or perhaps summertime closures of trailheads which access the alpine in the name of protecting people from thunderstorms. Then we'll have the fall closures while animals that hibernate are in hyperphagia, and before you know it, the mountains will be nothing but a backdrop. You can look, but you can't touch.

I heard the Forrest Circus is hiring. You should put in your application. Don't forget to grow out your cop mustache first. You'd make a great twig pig.

Ever been involved in a public land access negotiation related to recreational access? Familiar with any situations where future backcountry skiing use in threatened?

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    It’s the most popular hike in town.
    In the summer, yes.
    In the winter it's a deadly stroll across the base of several avalanche paths. You can't even get a couple hundred yards up the trail before being in an avalanche zone. The exposure to the trail comes from both sides of the valley too.
    In the winter it's mainly an egress route for skiers/boarders who exit the ski area via backcountry gates.
    I'm amazed at how many people are unknowingly going up there to hike, snowshoe, xc ski, walk their dog, etc, in the winter. 99% of them have no clue that they are entering potential avalanche terrain.
    Plus it can't be fun to hike up a trail where skiers are constantly bombing down past you the whole time. ?
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Almost all of my time in Telluride has been in the summer. I wondered how much non-skier usage it got in winter.

That zone is so special, it’s so sad that tragedies like this come with that territory. To think that guy was just out to get a little exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    well the point I think is that the forest service typically doesn’t just close trails, it being public land etc
    The USFS closes trails all the time for Fire Danger.

I think there may be a local misconception that it is relatively safe up to the falls

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    The USFS closes trails all the time for Fire Danger.
    Shit, they close the whole damn forest here for that. But they close trails for mountain lions and such as well. Never heard of an avy closure here, but it’s a much different culture and layout here.

Yeah, just pointing out that the USFS can do damn near anything when it comes to public safety, not that it is right OR wrong.

In this particular case I could see them signing the trailhead for the objective danger and even possibly closing it during periods of elevated hazard, they do already forecast for that zone if I am not mistaken.