Page 115 of 152 FirstFirst ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3783
    Ah, got it. Thanks goat. Alpine's higher base elevation could also help things here depending on snow levels...

What's the snow line (midnight right now)? It's been dumping rain at my place in the foothills. Wunderground stations near me are at 0.5" rain per hour for the past few hrs.

Well it poured rain all night at my house in SLT, looking at the snotels seems there is around a foot of slop above 8K. Snowpack around my house yesterday probably was about half the height it was the day before after yesterdays rain, have not got a look at it today yet.

According to the local weather site in Galena Forest, about 0.9" of rainfall since midnight already. Yesterday 1.8" total. 5800' snowpack in yard is shrinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

No snow pack in Santa Cruz, but it has been pouring and super windy overnight. Really whipping out there right now. Hopefully this cold front moves through soon. This water is good for the state, but we need snow pack.

It's pounding at 7,700'. Plow just came by and boy does the snow look manky. Ick! Should be a fun drive down kbury gettin kids to school

Rose reporting 14-16" but that's out of 3" of water.

Going up, with DPS 138s, because it sounds like a good day for water skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Sugar Bowl was bombing this morning. Raining hard at 6K.
    From the NWS storm warning:
    ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM PDT FRIDAY
    ABOVE 6500 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow occurring. Additional snow accumulations of 8
    to 16 inches, with local amounts up to 2 feet near the Sierra
    Crest, are expected above 7000 feet. Up to 8 inches is expected
    between 6500 and 7000 feet, with a few slushy inches of
    snowfall down to lake level.

(Hint: Google it)

Wrong thread yada yada, but snow is piling up big time on the snow sensors down south (Big Pine/South Lake). Sensors are all around 10k and they've accumulated almost 2 feet so you can imagine how fat the high country is going to be. We're going to have a healthy spring skiing season from Lone Pine to Bridgeport! Woohoo!! Tomorrow should be pretty damn good around here too.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Wrong thread yada yada, but snow is piling up big time on the snow sensors down south (Big Pine/South Lake). Sensors are all around 10k and they've accumulated almost 2 feet so you can imagine how fat the high country is going to be. We're going to have a healthy spring skiing season from Lone Pine to Bridgeport! Woohoo!! Tomorrow should be pretty damn good around here too.
    Yeah man that ESAC report this morning was brutal - hoping it settles down in time for some turns sat/sun. Definitely still gonna have to reign things in big time

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    I realize that. I'm trying to set Mini Comish's expectations to avoid melt downs when/if races get cancelled. The little bugger is pretty fired up! So trying to understand how successful they are at pulling these things off in inclement weather. Mammoth would likely be completely shut down for racing b/c of wind, snow, vis since its so much higher. I'm thinking tomorrow is cancelled, but likely to run something on Fri, Sat, and Sun?

Hopefully I will get some pow turns in between races. Looking sloppy...
    Guaranteed they will race this weekend.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Yeah man that ESAC report this morning was brutal - hoping it settles down in time for some turns sat/sun. Definitely still gonna have to reign things in big time
    You don't often see EXTREME danger at all elevations. 5 feet of wet paste will help things out a ton down there, and hopefully set things up for spring.

Mrs. MM reported 6 inches at top of Brockway at 7 am, and 4 inches in KB. Still raining here in Truckee. The rivers are raging!

Just checked out Squaw's snowfall tracker - 230 inches at 8200 ft since Feb 22, one month ago. We were at 130 total inches then....
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    You don't often see EXTREME danger at all elevations. 5 feet of wet paste will help things out a ton down there, and hopefully set things up for spring.
    Yup trying to figure out if there's budget for me and my borderline homeless buddy to ski mammy this weekend. Can't imagine paying retail but trying to figure it out...

In other news Rose posted their 'edit' from the Roses are RAD film festival they did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Rt...ature=youtu.be

It could not be more rose-y. Kinda love it. Also mad props to sit skier and wonderful human extraordinaire Connor Fogal for his cameo. In my work we do a lot with folks with disabilities, and that guy stands out as a truly gifted and inspiring individual

Man I really hope I can get up to Tahoe before I80 gets fucked by the nighttime snow.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Man I really hope I can get up to Tahoe before I80 gets fucked by the nighttime snow.
    Snow done by midnight. 80 likely plowed by morning.

Now:

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
    EASTBOUND TRUCKS ARE BEING SCREENED AT APPLEGATE (PLACER CO) - DRIVERS MUST HAVE MAXIMUM CHAINS IN THEIR POSSESSION IN ORDER TO PROCEED - PERMIT LOADS ARE PROHIBITED

WESTBOUND TRUCKS ARE BEING SCREENED AT OVERLAND TRAIL RD /IN TRUCKEE/ (NEVADA CO) - DRIVERS MUST HAVE MAXIMUM CHAINS IN THEIR POSSESSION IN ORDER TO PROCEED - PERMIT LOADS ARE PROHIBITED

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Rose reporting 14-16" but that's out of 3" of water...
    Is that good or bad?
    Assuming bad?
    I see Mt Rose Hwy is closed right now...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Is that good or bad?
    Assuming bad?
    I see Mt Rose Hwy is closed right now...
    That's right fucked, turx. Snow ratios in warm storms should be about 10" of snow for each 1 inch of water equivalent. Cold storms 20:1 + That's like 5:1, which - someone correct me here - is borderline not snow

Pouring rain in town and 16" at 7.7k. Mandatory lift with your legs kinda shoveling this am. Unfortunately our low el snowpack took a big hit
    Fuk ya bg! Big ol big blob of spackle hitting down there right now

If ya can't drink it, it's powder

Wind starting to howl Bay Area.

About 18" at my house (~7,500') this morning. An hour later, after we had cleared the first wave of cement, there was at least 3" more. It was pounding. The snow level was around 7k.

One of my avy condition tests is clearing the snow of my car. When thick slabs of snow glide of the hood or top with ease, it's almost always high or extreme. Today was one of those days.

Looks like a car got caught in a slide in the usual spot on 431.

Last, go Pack!

^^ Agreed on the car cleaning snowpack evaluation. They should probably include this in Snow Sense. ;-) It's pretty accurate... and usually lets me know immediately if the upper mountains at Squawlpine will open or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Is that good or bad?
    Assuming bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    That's right fucked, turx. Snow ratios in warm storms should be about 10" of snow for each 1 inch of water equivalent. Cold storms 20:1 + That's like 5:1, which - someone correct me here - is borderline not snow
    Name:  26xcqo.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  29.8 KB

Big fat flakes starting to come in at my pad, 6400

Wacky!
    Rose is saying closed now, since 11:30!
    And road out is closed. So if you are stuck there, you can't ski? (Maybe they'll keep lifts turning.)
    Wonder if they'll open the bar?
    (...ya think?)

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Snow done by midnight. 80 likely plowed by morning.
    Forgot to say driving on Friday*

If work wasn't absolute nuts right now I'd have some powder fever...
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.