Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    That BA Copper Spur 4 looks like the ticket for a four person. But, man, good tents aren't cheap.
    Keep in mind BA is easy to get "pro deals" on -- just being a member of AAC is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I too miss the old convertible tents. Sierra Designs 2nd iteration of the nightwatch CD was perfection in my mind. Small vestibule though. I wintered many storms in it including heavy snow. It still survives today as a field work tent and it was from the mid/late 90s. Bomber, but also 7 lbs for a 2 person tent.
    RIP my Nightwatch CD. Was my all purpose tent from 11th through middle of grad school. Think I scored it on STP or REI Outlet. Finally died when careless asshole friend of friend borrowed it and stored it wet. So mildewy I gave up and tossed it and demanded $150 in cash. Was worth more in terms of utility, but didn't feel I could ask for more.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Keep in mind BA is easy to get "pro deals" on -- just being a member of AAC is enough.
    This is good information. Wasn't aware of that.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    That tent was the shit. I used to borrow it from the rental fleet in college.

That BA Copper Spur 4 looks like the ticket for a four person. But, man, good tents aren't cheap.
    I've been using the Copper Spur 4 for about 3 years and it ticks all the boxes for my family of 4 (2 younger kids) but the it's on it's last legs with multiple tears on the fly and the storage bag is shredded. Great tent, short life...

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    I've been using the Copper Spur 4 for about 3 years and it ticks all the boxes for my family of 4 (2 younger kids) but the it's on it's last legs with multiple tears on the fly and the storage bag is shredded. Great tent, short life...
    Given the weight for a 4P and materials needed to hit that weight, not super surprising. Especially with kids beating on it.

Light. Durable. Cheap. Choose one. Adage usually proves true.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

On that note, I still think it’s a shame what MSR did to the Moss tents. They were known for, and their reputation was based on, their highly durable fabrics/materials, at the cost of weight and price. That is no longer the case.

I’ve been using a my trail co pyramid4. They used to be golite... tons of room for the weight of the tent. Easy to set up. Bring a tarp and put your stuff outside. Works well in the wind and rain. Wouldn’t use it in the winter with snow however. It can also be used without the nest if you’re looking to get really light.

I use hilleberg kaitum 4 for family bike touring and backpacking. My kids are young so we have heaps of space. Love the tall ceiling, large vestibules and double entrances. You have to be careful pitching it as it is not free standing and it is expensive but it has serves us well for the last 2 years

Bump

I just found my “list.” It includes stakes. What are the good light stakes for backpacking (one of the tents must be staked out) and buried ones for car camping (can be heavier)?

bumping this up for summer '21.

Turns out my kid digs the backpacking. We took our Alps Lynx 4 for our first trip. I carried all 9.8# of the tent, as it was a short 2.5 mile approach. Now that I know my kid could carry his 18# in and out with a smile, I'm looking to buy a lighter tent.

We were thinking 3 person (he is ten) with the idea that he would want to carry his own one person tent in a few years. Looking for suggestions of affordable and less than 6#. The Marmot Limelight is kind of on the list but is closer to 7#. I'd love to find one under 5.5#.

Look into the Big Agnes Copper Spur series. We are super happy with our Copper Spur 3p. It's a great tent.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

We've been very happy with a Kelty All Inn. Lots of headroom!
    The 3p and footprint is a little over 5 lbs.

I do a 3p Marmot Tungsten UL and BD 2p Lighthouse for my family of four + dog. A single 4p+ tent might be fine, but having two tents generally offers more practical options.

I wouldn't get the BD Lighthouse for family camping specifically, but I already own it and it works well enough.

The Marmut Tungsten UL has been great. It's light, sets up very quickly, and is fairly spacious. I have the 3p, but I'd bet the 4p version works well. I've taken it on a number of trips, including a 4-day (38-mile-ish) trip with just me and the kids in Yosemite, and it's been excellent. As I recall, it was a bit cheaper than similar lightweight tents.*

Name:  tent1.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  87.3 KB
    Name:  tent2.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  121.0 KB

*ETA: It's rare that I deal with heavy rain or wind while backpacking. So I can't speak to how the Tungsten holds up against more severe weather.

I really want to get a Big Agnes Saltcreek SL3 but it looks like they're sold out through the summer.

We went with Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4 last year and we are very happy with it…roomy and light. BA’s LED light tape is pretty cool too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5081.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	379.6 KB 
ID:	376212

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maiden voyage for the 4p marmot tungsten UL - holy shit, it’s light! Only 2 of us using it on this trip - very spacious! With full family (5 plus dog), we’ll use this and an old clip flashlight. It got buggy on this maiden voyage and I was glad to have a freestanding tent to hang in and laugh at the skeeters and biting flies.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5912.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	376214

Family Backcountry Tent Recommendations

Can’t delete but can rewrite
    Last edited by Ottime; 06-02-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Um, sorry. That was a text to my buddy that landed here.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Bump

I just found my “list.” It includes stakes. What are the good light stakes for backpacking (one of the tents must be staked out) and buried ones for car camping (can be heavier)?
    We've had good luck with the MSR Groundhog stakes for backpacking. For car camping I've been using some Springbar stakes, they have a couple of different types to suit various conditions. And yes, heavy as hell.

To follow up on the original post- we've stuck with the Mega Light but added a MHW Outpost 2P tent. Partly because we've added a dog, and partly because I often go with just the kids (one or both) so it's nice to have some different options to suit the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    We've had good luck with the MSR Groundhog stakes for backpacking. For car camping I've been using some Springbar stakes, they have a couple of different types to suit various conditions. And yes, heavy as hell.
    Thanks!

I wish there was some more beta on the peregrine kestrel 3p UL. That thing is light for the price. If it were me, and it aint, i might try to at least check it out in person. 120 bucks cheaper than the spur but only 4 lbs or so with footprint. obviously it only has one vestibule and one door for starters, so, an older but simpler design. Full fly though. I can maybe anticipate to hear nags regarding the long horizontal door zipper needing extra care and the "half exit" of the center staked vestibule being awkward ingress egress but its hard to argue with 4 lbs, and 30D on the floor and 15D on the fly doesn't sound bad.

Hard to go wrong with spur, mutha hubba, limelight, tungsten, nemo (dagger?) and those guys. I have an older limelight and have always liked the design of the fly on that tent, nand the new design looks similarly bomber. Great in wet weather. Also partially retired (but in full service condition) if you want to borrow it, though I forget where you're at. approx 7lbs with footprint and stakes IIRC.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

If pyramid's are on the table I have been pretty stoked with the first few nights under my MSR front range + bug net. Pretty light for the size and although I haven't tried it yet, should be able to fit 4 pretty well as long as everyone is friendly...

Favorite mat for backcountry for the adult side sleepers?. Tired of foam and our thermarests all leak but either can’t find the leaks or an unrepairable leaky valve.

I briefly tried an outdoor vitals brand pad yesterday that belonged to a friend. It was pretty great. Wondering about the other options.

Favorite mat for backcountry for the adult side sleepers?. Tired of foam and our thermarests all leak but either can’t find the leaks or an unrepairable leaky valve.

I briefly tried an outdoor vitals brand pad yesterday that belonged to a friend. It was pretty great. Wondering about the other options.
    I find my REI Air Rail 2 (heavy and bulky) and Nemo Tensor insulated (ultralight) comfy as a side sleeper. YMMV. It's all very personal.

Big Agnes Q core is also very fat and comfy for side sleeping, though a little cold compared to the thermarest offerings.

Depending on how old your thermarest is it might be worth sending it back to them to repair. I had one with an impossible to find leak that I sent in and they just sent me a brand new pad.

Personally I have never slept well on pads and try to hammock whenever it's possible.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Family Backcountry Tent Recommendations

Sounds like you’re probably looking to upgrade anyway but thermarest will fix the leaky ones.

eta my personal experience though it’s not extensive. I found an Xlite on sale at the white goat (I know, but it was 50 bucks off!) so I pulled the trigger on the regular-regular.

I may well have got the xlite anyway but I didn’t try any other pads (did I mention the sale?) prior to ordering.

Prior pads include TR trail scout and the foam TR ridge rest.

5’9” 190lbs and the xlite supports me fully while I’m in side sleeping position. Regular is well regular width 20” which is probably not the best for side sleeping because of where you knees wind up is right at or over the edge sometimes. It is significantly more comfy than my prior pads, as it should be.

It took me a while to realize you aren’t supposed to blow up the air beds until they are super tight.

Weight and pack size are huge pluses as is the TR warranty. Warm enough for true 3 season Comfy.

Traditional size and shape of “regular” model may be narrow. Loud. People complain of a crinkling noise I dunno I have a new (wing valve) model and I hear the crinkle a bit but I get a loud squeaking like a seal barking when I move around on it. I move a lot and roll my bag with me though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 06-24-2021 at 09:05 AM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Thx for the input and feedback. My friend with the Outdoor Vitals pad (I’ve never heard of that brand before) liked it over the big Agnes mostly because of the inflation bag.

I’ve never laid down on one of the backcountry oriented thick inflation pads before. So awesome!

I’ll look into sending back the t-rests for warranty. They’re both circa late 1980’s. If they warranty them, I will let the littles use them. They are now delegated to foam pads like me. My 15yo has control of our functional high inflation t-rest pad.

It’s been a while since I’ve slept on hard ground in the backcountry. I “slept” on rock slabs on trips the past two months with a z-rest and a blue foamy. That pad combo was good for me on duff, other soft “bedding,” and snow for many years. After the last night of “sleep” on a slab this week, my friend with the outdoor vitals pad was clearly on her “a” game with a solid night of backcountry sleep, while I was nowhere close.