Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hero 7 Thread

Hero 7 Thread

Who else got a Hero 7 Black for Xmas? First cuts from ours are below. I think I found the limit of Hypersmooth but it's pretty damn good. All raw footage, just trimmed and combined in the Gopro app and VidTrim. Shot 1080/60 in Superview mode. Battery was dead in 3 hours, though it was 15 degrees out. I'm kicking myself for not getting the 2nd battery and charging station.

The cuts between clips feel a bit seizure-inducing. I need to figure out how to fix that.

Last edited by Dantheman; 12-28-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Nice skiing! Wow, the hypersmooth really does work better than I expected - especially evident on the landings. Anxious to give mine a whirl.

1st - Wow, nice little clips. Is it really not that crowded there????
    2nd - Been thinking about getting the Hero7 and I still want one, quality looks sick!
    3rd - You're still a bit too shaky for what I want to have for POV footage; what was your mount setup?

It was both crowded and not crowded. Parking was full gong show, but we were skiing right on to Milly all morning. Just a basic sticky mount on my helmet. It is definitely still a tad shaky, but conditions were rough and I'm still pretty impressed. It would probably be much more apparent if viewed side by side with the same runs shot on a 5 or 6.

I've been curious about buying an Osmo Pocket... I know it wouldn't have nearly the same durability but they do make a few mounts for them... I wonder how it would compare.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Nice skiing! Wow, the hypersmooth really does work better than I expected - especially evident on the landings. Anxious to give mine a whirl.
    Definitely post some footage and setting info. The number of video settings is a bit bewildering. The last POV cam I used was a Vio POV1 that I borrowed from powho ten years ago. It cost $700 at the time and looks like garbage comparatively. Amazing what the Hero7 can do for half the price.

I've been debating whether to upgrade to the 7 (that hypersmooth is nice). It'd serve dual purpose with the karma drone, etc... or just get one of these new rylos... the footage the aspen snowmass folks have been getting with it is ridiculous.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Who else got a Hero 7 Black for Xmas? First cuts from ours are below. I think I found the limit of Hypersmooth but it's pretty damn good. All raw footage, just trimmed and combined in the Gopro app and VidTrim. Shot 1080/60 in Superview mode. Battery was dead in 3 hours, though it was 15 degrees out. I'm kicking myself for not getting the 2nd battery and charging station.

The cuts between clips feel a bit seizure-inducing. I need to figure out how to fix that.

I don't know, you were kind of flaming your arms a bit.

Nice skiing and the vid looks good. Not as perfectly smooth as shown in the propaganda, but I'm betting it would have been almost unwatchable if shot on a previous gen GoPro.

As a side note, you've really got the field of view dialed in your set up. Skis and poles in view for perspective, but also a good amount of the slope in front of you and even the horizon for additional perspective.

Not sure if it's that particular slope angle or what, but in my experience it's always a struggle to get enough skis and poles in the shot to get perspective, and not chop out the terrain ahead, or vice versa where you get the terrain ahead but no perspective of the skier.

Care to detail your mount/set us for us?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Looks great! I got one a couple weeks ago but haven't had time to take it out with me yet.

They sell these little stick on "dead cats" for gopros that are basically a bunch of fur that cuts down on the wind noise. I think they are super cheap. That would help the audio a lot. On my 5 I never bothered cause it sounded so bad, but the 7 is supposed to be better audio-wise.

I saw a test on a MTB video and they said the super wide view gave the best sense of speed and slope. If you do a more zoomed in look it can make it look slower and flatter. I am interested to play around with the different views for skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Not as perfectly smooth as shown in the propaganda, but I'm betting it would have been almost unwatchable if shot on a previous gen GoPro.
    That's my guess as well. Could probably get it really smooth with some post-processing.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    As a side note, you've really got the field of view dialed in your set up. Skis and poles in view for perspective, but also a good amount of the slope in front of you and even the horizon for additional perspective.

Not sure if it's that particular slope angle or what, but in my experience it's always a struggle to get enough skis and poles in the shot to get perspective, and not chop out the terrain ahead, or vice versa where you get the terrain ahead but no perspective of the skier.

Care to detail your mount/set us for us?
    I'll try to get a pic later. Sticky mount on front 1/3 of helmet with the cam angled slightly down. I think a big part of it is shooting in Superview mode per SkiJunky's recommendation. Superview is 4:3 1440 squeezed down to 16:9 1080, so it's a vertically wide FOV.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    They sell these little stick on "dead cats" for gopros that are basically a bunch of fur that cuts down on the wind noise. I think they are super cheap. That would help the audio a lot. On my 5 I never bothered cause it sounded so bad, but the 7 is supposed to be better audio-wise.
    That might help out with the voice commands, too. They are really sensitive to wind or any other ambient noise. Otherwise though, the voice control is such an awesome feature (yeah, I know they've had it since the 5).

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That's my guess as well. Could probably get it really smooth with some post-processing.

I'll try to get a pic later. Sticky mount on front 1/3 of helmet with the cam angled slightly down. I think a big part of it is shooting in Superview mode per SkiJunky's recommendation. Superview is 4:3 1440 squeezed down to 16:9 1080, so it's a vertically wide FOV.
    The 4:3 is pretty key imho.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

this is the new gopro with in-camera stabilization? I thought the footage on their website made it look like it would be a lot smoother.

As for your edit, you probably need to trim the beginning of each of your clips. It doesnt really make sense tho, it looks like your camera is recording a still image for a second before rolling video. Check your recording settings and make sure there isnt a keyframe note / marker. Wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    this is the new gopro with in-camera stabilization? I thought the footage on their website made it look like it would be a lot smoother.

As for your edit, you probably need to trim the beginning of each of your clips. It doesnt really make sense tho, it looks like your camera is recording a still image for a second before rolling video. Check your recording settings and make sure there isnt a keyframe note / marker. Wierd.
    I only noticed the first one first time through..

And re: the stabilization, can you view the footage with and without?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Yes, this is with the new Hypersmooth EIS. It's not as smooth as the marketing materials, but it was pretty skied out and bumpy that day and I wasn't skiing slow.

The beginning and end of every clip was trimmed out using the GoPro app. I stitched them together on my phone using VidTrim so that's probably where the fault lies. I'll try Quik next time to see if it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    And re: the stabilization, can you view the footage with and without?
    I don't think you can turn it off after the fact, but you can record with Hypersmooth off.

Went to the BMX track for a while this afternoon

Got a few nugs today. Classic Wasatch day. Didn't quite have the cam angle quite as good as last time. I need to figure out a way to set it exactly the same each time.

You can use the app to pull up live view and adjust your angle before your first run

Ah, right. It would still be nice to have some kind of physical indicator. Maybe two little notches on the pivot.

Edited in Quik this time and it still seems to have a weird jump between cuts. I need to play around with the time lapse function. It's really pretty cool.

ETA: I just realized that the max resolution on the last two edits is 720p and it doesn't look great full screen. I'm guessing this is related to stitching in Quik rather than VidTrim since the OP edit goes up to 1080p60.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 01-07-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Question.

Are you sure you had on Hyperlapse during the first video?

The second(more pow) has a tighter FOV, and the more computerized smoothing movements. You can see this especially on tilt.

I'm playing with a 360 cam now, which can be used to also get a super stable POV perspective. I'll post up an example once I get if figured out.

Slow shutter speeds are the death of EIS, so that was the issue with your inside shots. I also had an issue on the 360 cam going into the trees on a cloudy pow morning. The motion blur of slow shutter speed can get smoothed out, and then get's baked in as blurry glitch.

Great skiing! Milly one of my all time favorite places! 1001 jumps to be had.

If you go watch some older GoPro footage from a 4 or 5... the hypersmooth is way more noticeable. The difference is HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Question.

Are you sure you had on Hyperlapse during the first video?
    It's actually quite possible that it wasn't. When we got to the BMX track I switched it from Superview to Wide to do 3rd person shots (holding the cam in my hand and running alongside the track). After 2-3 shots I checked the footage and it was terrible, so I went back into the settings and found that stabilization was set to off. Turned on stabilization and 3rd person shots improved 1000%. I don't know if that had just happened with the switch from Superview to Wide, or if it was a dumb mistake I made during the initial setup before I shot the OP footage.

Good to know on the shutter speed stuff. I guess nothing is going to look that good on storm days which is a bummer, but we mostly bought this for MTB anyway.

Great skiing! Milly one of my all time favorite places! 1001 jumps to be had.
    It's certainly not hard to find good jumps on Milly, or anywhere else at Brighton really. Finding good landings is another story

In my research of the 7, it seems like hypersmooth wasn't in all modes and resolutions, so maybe the switch did it.

Here's one I just threw together of Insta360 One X. I edited this on FCPx and in my opinion it removes a lot of the distorted perspective the phone app was giving the camera.

You can see the shutter speed jitters I was talking about.

Used a Grill Mount (mouthguard style), with it hanging below my chin.
    Last edited by JRainey; 01-07-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Mount

In my research of the 7, it seems like hypersmooth wasn't in all modes and resolutions, so maybe the switch did it.
    IIRC, it's only the very high framerate modes that don't get Hypersmooth. Just changing the FOV shouldn't have affected it, theoretically.

I'm not sure I like how far out in front the grill mount makes your hands seem. It's like you're driving a bus.

Here's one I just threw together of Insta360 One X. I edited this on FCPx and in my opinion it removes a lot of the distorted perspective the phone app was giving the camera.

You can see the shutter speed jitters I was talking about.

Used a Grill Mount (mouthguard style), with it hanging below my chin.
    looks WAY smoother. I may just have to get one now.

A Grill Mount? Gotta see a pic of what that setup looks like

like this?