Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    "Single?"

All that for super flat skiing? Dang!

Yeah it sucked...

If you don't know what you are doing you end up in lines like that. That is all.

Pffffft... Whatever... Tits deep all day, and if you had a clue, you never waited more than a few minutes once you got out of the gondy.

If you weren't there in person, than you just don't know... But don't worry, there should be another day like that in the next 5 or so years.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

(and no i don't have pics because who the fuck stops to take a picture when there is 30"+ to be had inbounds)
    "That's what she said."

Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    Pffffft... Whatever... Tits deep all day, and if you had a clue, you never waited more than a few minutes once you got out of the gondy.

If you weren't there in person, than you just don't know... But don't worry, there should be another day like that in the next 5 or so years.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

(and no i don't have pics because who the fuck stops to take a picture when there is 30"+ to be had inbounds)
    Have you ever heard of the Super Epic January? I think it was 95 or 96, it snowed about 265 inches or so, every day had a fucking name. Deep Tuesday, Sick Saturday, Phat Friday, ect. It was nuts, I was there, some days we had too much for that mountain. 30+? I bet it was fun but wow! what the hell did you ski on such a flat hill?

Instructions to those riding solo in this situation:

1) Going into the non-singles line
    2) Look for a group of three near the front of the line (works equally well if gaper group of a group people who don't care about what you're doing)
    3) Say "You guys three? Can I jump in?"
    4) Skate your way through the line to the front while pretending not to hear the people bad mouthing you
    5) Get on lift with little to no waiting

bonus) You may have been played and you may get "squeezed off the lift by the party of three causing an that embarrassing falling off the lift while loading scenario

Dirt bag? Or well played?

Nice to see people respecting the "slow" sign.

In other news, it was 27" deep in Tahoe, too... the base that is, where it isn't bare.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Have you ever heard of the Super Epic January? I think it was 95 or 96, it snowed about 265 inches or so,
    Jan '96 it was.
    Old's Cool.

doughboyshredder Guest
    That line is an example of very poor line management. Maybe there was no ticket checker? If that's the case this is why automation sucks. Ticket checker should be teaming up singles to clear the singles line. That and anyone loading with an empty should be beat over the head.

Sent from my PantechP8000 using TGR Forums

"Super Epic January"... I'm not much of a snowfall historian. I'm sure it was great, but I'm talking about today. It was DEEP.

And yes, SB is flat in areas. But to get to ride a lift up to 30+ of fresh is a special day in my book. Skinning is great, but it's a nice present to take a 10min lift ride for 10-20 white room turns and a 5 -10 minute traverse back to the lift.

There are plenty of places to ski at SB... Shadows, Closet, whatever O'Clock, Sundown Lift, N. St. Pats, No Name... If you know where to go, you'll find good turns there.
    "That's what she said."

Here's some video from the Boat' today:

http://www.steamboattoday.com/videos/2012/feb/20/2867/

It smells of desperation in here...can't beleeeive the internet's raddest skiers are trying to knock this one down.

No traffic, 3.5hrs to and fro (basically beav creek to denver after a summit pow day). Longest lift line was at the gondi and 10min at storm chair. Laps on xmas bowl, st. pat's, storm trees yada yada, faceshots til close, $3.89 per inch of snow. I had a blast .

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    It smells of desperation in here...can't beleeeive the internet's raddest skiers are trying to knock this one down.

No traffic, 3.5hrs to and fro (basically beav creek to denver after a summit pow day). Longest lift line was at the gondi and 10min at storm chair. Laps on xmas bowl, st. pat's, storm trees yada yada, faceshots til close, $3.89 per inch of snow. I had a blast .
    Fuck. Yea.

I too could conjure some butt-hurt feelings for not having been there if i tried real hard, but super-stoked for you guys.

Well Done.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Sorry, not tons of good footage since there was all this white crap splashing at the camera all day. But totally not worth it since there was that one long line on a lower mountain lift, really wish I stayed at my desk instead today...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7oi83XvagY

I was scheduled a double today, but every asshole I saw(sour grapes here, just jealous) didn't hesitate to tell me how great it was. Should be good for the rest of the week, snowing right now and the forecast looks promising(since we missed almost everything else this year). The winter of '96 is an important part of Steamboat lore. As far as the Thunderhead line, there's plenty of places to go and get fresh all day with minimal wait time. Everyone keep up the good work, and you might see me tomorrow, I'll be the best fucking skier on the mountain. Good day

Big wednesday 1990, tits deep and I'm 6'3. Give me a deep day in the woods at the boat anytime.

I was lucky enough to get into town at 2am after my flight in was cancelled. The lines at the bottom were insanely long. I think 700 people did first tracks. What compounded the lines is all flights got cancelled, and the town is on school break. I got on t-head with my 7 tear old right about when that photo was taken. Didn't wait in another line after that. She is 48" tall and now truly knows what multiple face shots feels like. People were yelling and wooting all over the mountain. As much as I would have loved to let er rip all day, it was pretty special to be with my girl.

Dumping like mad still, at least another 10-12", cold and light.
    It's going to be good, especially since the girls are in daycare / school day off program

Sounds like a great day with the little one. Now go get some.

you guys are right, steamboat is all lift lines and no snow. don't bother coming, your just going to wait in line to ski the flatsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	jeff_escobedo_t640.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	110679

pic of the sucky conditions/terrain from the weekend.
    believe me its real.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Jan '96 it was.
    Yeah, 1996. I didn't go to a single class that month (it continued into the first 6-7 days in Feb iirc). Incredible storm cycle. About time for a repeat.

Psyched for the mags that were up there yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I love Montana.
    Are you kidding me? Griz chair looks like this when it snows 10 inches and its slow as fuck

Sent from my DROID2 using TGR Forums

If that was T-Head, how bad was the Gondi line?!

for all those people that say Steamboat is too flat and the lines weren't worth it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQPGA2oyp2U

We are all on this site because WE LOVE TO SKI... we're here to share our excitement over huge lines and deep pow. These are the kind of days we live for.

All day, the long time locals kept talking about Jan. '96. Several thought Monday was the deepest day ever, but couldn't remember if any day in '96 beat it out.

As it turns out, the ski area said the largest single day snowfall in Jan. '96 was 26 inches in 24 hours, so President's day just set a new single-day record by one inch (though they've only been keeping track since 1990.) It was a day we'll be talking about for a long time.

At 5' 4", i had trouble breathing those first few runs. I had to turn into someone else's tracks or stop to take a breath. I heard one of my friends talking about how he actually puked from swallowing too much snow. Someone I didn't know pinched me at the bottom of a run to let me know I was awake. Every chair erupted in cheers as someone skied underneath it, disappearing with every turn. It really did feel like a dream, and I'm still not positive it happened.

Yeah, the line. We rode right past it and got on the gondola with no wait. I don't know anyone who waited in that line. Pony was empty until 10:30, and Morningside was empty all day. Storm had an occasional 5 to 10 min wait.

Also - that photo of the snowboarder above was taken more than a week ago. I bet that area is looking pretty good right now.

For those of you who missed it, start driving now because it hasn't stopped dumping since last night, and it's not supposed to stop until Thursday. Be safe out there!
    I'm having the best time being off my pickle and feeling the music. -HT