Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How do you fix a partially sheared lift cable?

Per 406's suggestion in the Nukin' in Missoula thread https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ssoula/page127, I thought I'd ask for the collective wisdom about Snowbowl's options for repairing this cable on a 1960s-era Riblet (chairs welded (edit: woven) into the cable rather than clamped on), which suffered this damage when a chair got sucked into the bullwheel housing yesterday.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...932747&thumb=1

What do they do? Can they splice in a new segment? If so, how many people are qualified to do it?

Guesses on how long it will take, considering Snowbowl is essentially your drunk uncle who says your present is in the mail even though he never considered buying one?
    Last edited by RootSkier; 01-02-2020 at 10:52 AM.

My prediction: it'll be fixed for next season, but there will be hand wringing in November about whether it'll be done in time. Lavelle is shut down for this season.

I wouldn't be surprised. The word from Pat, who was hanging out in the bar while they were evac'ing the lift, was 2-3 weeks. Yeah fucking right.

Duct tape it and go skiing!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Rewrap the cables, weld the shit out of it, call it a day!

Maybe we should merge this with the inbounds uphill skinning thread?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The chairs are woven into the haul rope, not welded. The rope probably can be fixed with a pair of splices, but when they do a full inspection, they might just condemn it.

Since Riblet went out of business, there's the question of is it even worth fixing? I know Doppelmayr/CTEC will fix/upgrade Riblets, but really the bean counters will have the final say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The chairs are woven into the haul rope, not welded. The rope probably can be fixed with a pair of splices, but when they do a full inspection, they might just condemn it.

Since Riblet went out of business, there's the question of is it even worth fixing? I know Doppelmayr/CTEC will fix/upgrade Riblets, but really the bean counters will have the final say.
    Damn. As to whether it's worth fixing...Snowbowl is notorious for having old lifts. They just installed a "new" one this past summer and guess what? It's another center bar Riblet. If the option is to spend a lot fixing it or a lot x 100 replacing it, it will be an exceedingly easy call.

Name:  708BEF63-9F4D-455F-A164-183DE1D7BA04.jpeg
Views: 1543
Size:  17.8 KB

I have heard that 9990 lift is down indefinitely because a rat ate thu one of the cables, or wires. All chairs have been removed from the lift
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The truth is, we're never really going to know the outlook for the cable until puregravity gets on the case.

lol, don't say beetlejuice!

And here we go..

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The truth is, we're never really going to know the outlook for the cable until puregravity gets on the case.
    That's who I initially thought started this thread anyway (based on title).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Hey now.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Damn. As to whether it's worth fixing...Snowbowl is notorious for having old lifts. They just installed a "new" one this past summer and guess what? It's another center bar Riblet. If the option is to spend a lot fixing it or a lot x 100 replacing it, it will be an exceedingly easy call.
    Because those Riblets aren't worth much anymore. But it's more complicated. The true cost of old/used lifts includes transportation + installation + maintenance + insurance - amortization. If the company is using borrowed money, add interest.

When you buy a new chair the financing terms are better because the asset is better, the maintenance is cheaper because it's more reliable, the liability insurance is cheaper, and the amortization has more life in in.

If that haul rope needs to be replaced, it could exceed the value of the lift.

What a fucking shit show. I understand mechanical failures, but damn.

When you only have two lifts to operate and the failed lift provides access to 75% of the skiable terrain....WTF!
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 01-02-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    $100k+! Does he have a youtube channel Pat can watch to learn how?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    $100k+! Does he have a youtube channel Pat can watch to learn how?
    I think Pat needs a more 'adaptive' learning tool to understand that stuff.

Maybe a paint-by-numbers kit would do the job....

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    What a fucking shit show. I understand mechanical failures, but damn.

When you only have two lifts to operate and the failed lift provides access to 75% of the skiable terrain. It's kind of a big deal. I love the place, but man alive...WTF!
    Better than Griz breaking, at least.

Sucks for the kids, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Hey now.
    Sorry.
    That was only because of the notoriety of the previous scandal riddled lift cable conspiracy controversy thread.

edit: and my small phone screen (and maybe aging eyes)
    Last edited by pfluffenmeister; 01-02-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I have heard that 9990 lift is down indefinitely because a rat ate thu one of the cables, or wires. All chairs have been removed from the lift
    Wait, what? How the hell is that possible? That must suck for you guys.

Back to the OP, my money is on "You're fucked for the rest of the season"

Fix your own fucking lift cable with AQS eh

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Because those Riblets aren't worth much anymore. But it's more complicated. The true cost of old/used lifts includes transportation + installation + maintenance + insurance - amortization. If the company is using borrowed money, add interest.

When you buy a new chair the financing terms are better because the asset is better, the maintenance is cheaper because it's more reliable, the liability insurance is cheaper, and the amortization has more life in in.

If that haul rope needs to be replaced, it could exceed the value of the lift.
    I had a buddy with a Romanian connection for used lifts, he said there is lots of used gear in yurp but the extra cost to bring it up to spec on electrical and/or safety jacks the price way up for what is an old slow piece of equipment so you don't see it being done

I don't see that cable being used or fixed this year

edit: kidding about the AQS eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Was it Yan? I thought he was Polish?

also kidding.

I did a few splices with "the Duke" 10 or so years ago. If I recall we had to take off all the chairs, detension the terminal, pick and drop the rope to where it could be cut and spliced, he'd tell stories while doing fancy shit and the yell at you to pull, do some weird shit with hammers, and then reverse the process and add a load test. But that was scheduled. The $100k cost is to cover his insurance cuz you really don't want to fuck that up.

I would talk to patrol and see if skinning will be allowed cuz its probably not gonna happen till summer.