Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    3:45 of this one...recognize this guy?

heh....

and how about 4:45 in this one!

Too many concurrent threads though...
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hool-Bump-Fags

^^ Telly Savalas? Never knew he was a bumper...

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    Just you and I on Broke Back Mountain, Darling. lol
    Well it would only be fair to have it there at YOUR home mountain..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    ^^ Telly Savalas? Never knew he was a bumper...
    He used to be known as Daffy Twister Savalas before he hippied-out and went freeheel.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    He used to be known as Daffy Twister Savalas before he hippied-out and went freeheel.
    True story Bro! My last freestyle coach went freeheel back when it was starting to take off... late 1981ish..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    True story Bro! My last freestyle coach went freeheel back when it was starting to take off... late 1981ish..
    Telly Savalas was your coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    I love to watch that shit and think it's rad.

So go back to your bar, your temple (groomers) and watching other people. Be a GAPPER your whole life. I'll be out there ripping it no matter the conditions and HAVING FUN.

Bumps bring out the best and show off the worst.

My college ski coach once said to me "I watch you come down and you don't make a pole plant, yet when you ski bumps you don't miss a single one"

Dean Cummings is such an animal!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

T-Hall reliving the glory days:
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

There was this dude in the ‘80s at Mt Spokane who was always raging the bumps on 2 face at night. Throwing huge floater 360’s, daffy’s, spreads while absolutely flying down the bumps. My very impressionable high school self wanted to ski like that.
    Never saw him during the day.

Vampire?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

With fat and shaped skis anybody can ski powder and rip groomers. Skiing bumps will show your skill level. Or lack there of.

My knee doctor told me to start thinking of skiing moguls as very lame a few years ago. As my instructor at Taos said, you don't see 40 year olds zipping bumps. Except Plake. How old is that guy, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    My knee doctor told me to start thinking of skiing moguls as very lame a few years ago. As my instructor at Taos said, you don't see 40 year olds zipping bumps. Except Plake. How old is that guy, anyway?
    I've seen way more world cup racers, particularly GS racers with blown knee problems than competitive bumpers. Done right, shredding bumps can be low impact. Problem is there are high consequences for not done right. Also. I'd argue that odds are good that anyone you see ripping through the bumps on any given day is more likely to be over 30 than under 30... simply because 70s-90s is when bump skiing was at the peak of popularity. Fewer kids these days and post Y2K had/have the motivation to learn to ski bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    There was this dude in the ‘80s at Mt Spokane who was always raging the bumps on 2 face at night. Throwing huge floater 360’s, daffy’s, spreads while absolutely flying down the bumps. My very impressionable high school self wanted to ski like that.
    Never saw him during the day.

Vampire?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Guy Jones. I don't know what's ever become of him but he was a ripper. I think he just aged out and had some knee problems. I haven't seen him anywhere in probably 10 years. I used to ski with him a little bit before I moved my pass to Schweitzer.

ETA: He always lived at the base of Mt. Spokane and I just checked and he still does. He skied at night mostly because he worked days. Run up the hill, ski, be home in 15 minutes.

54, still a kid.

If you're skiing moguls right, they don't hurt your knees. Where they get you is if you're late in your turns and start smacking the uphill side and smashing into them. If your turns are timed right, no issues.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 04-03-2019 at 09:43 AM.

It is lame to ski moguls?

I’m 40 and still zip em too
    skid luxury

My worldwide web quest suggests that mogul skiing correctly (absorption + extension) in control isn't any worse for knee health than running. And that includes robo-zipperlining, but not 70's hot-dogging.

Also, based on injury etiology, bump skiing is more likely to cause a blown meniscus, while carving is more likely to blow an ACL.

That's how it seems through the lens of my confirmation bias anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    54, still a kid.

If you're skiing moguls right, they don't hurt your knees. Where they get you is if you're late in your turns and start smacking the uphill side and smashing into them. If your turns are timed right, no issues.
    I don't know. Donna Weinbrecht was/probably still is one of the best, but popped the knee just, you know, doing what she did like a hundred thousand times. A lot of other stories like that. Let's face it, it's not a healthy thing to do. But, I suck anyway, when it comes to that skiing moguls right shit.

I don't know. Donna Weinbrecht was/probably still is one of the best, but popped the knee just, you know, doing what she did like a hundred thousand times.
    When you do something this much... eventually you're going to blow it. But the point still stands that skiing bumps *correctly* aren't rough on your knees. Just don't ever blow it.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Well it would only be fair to have it there at YOUR home mountain..
    Oh Darling, my home mountain is wherever you are... or wherever your sweet cheeks bounce on bumps. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    When you do something this much... eventually you're going to blow it. But the point still stands that skiing bumps *correctly* aren't rough on your knees. Just don't ever blow it.

I don't know. God knows how many miles I've driven in my life, and no major accident, and they say that's a dangerous thing to do. Maybe 30,000 miles on bicycles, and still rolling, and that one isn't very safe, either.

It’s harder on your back than knees. Zipperlining with tele turns is easier on the body.

I don't know. God knows how many miles I've driven in my life, and no major accident, and they say that's a dangerous thing to do. Maybe 30,000 miles on bicycles, and still rolling, and that one isn't very safe, either.
    If you look at driving from a risk/mile standpoint, it is *incredibly* safe. I saw an article regarding transportation risk, and I believe driving was one of the safest (behind trains, air, IIRC).