Page 44 of 108 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2680
    I do wish the Gunsmoke would come back in a limited run. I keep looking for a replacement, the list is long, and nothing’s stuck yet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What's Blizzard up to?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	337671

I am just going to drop this right here... Love and I mean love my 193 Guns... Also a directional skier as my 196 Bodes do exactly that, but my Guns make the mountain a shit ton of fun...!

Last edited by Undertow; 08-19-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I do wish the Gunsmoke would come back in a limited run. I keep looking for a replacement, the list is long, and nothing’s stuck yet.
    It's been talked about. How about a Gunsmoke with a DRT Titanal laminate?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It's been talked about. How about a Gunsmoke with a DRT Titanal laminate?
    Hum... nah, just give me the last Gunsmoke just as it was. It was perfect with its imperfections. So playful and easy. I’m sort of hoping the Sender Squards will be close, but I’m not holding my breath. The Candide 3.0s were close but the 204cm were too long for me, and I didn’t try the 192s.

I always thought of the Gunsmokes as slightly thinner, more versatile Moment Bibbys. Not exactly, but they felt more similar to me than a lot of other freestyle skis. Damp freestyle wide twins, -6cm mount and felt good in any condition, being driven or skied more relaxed.

I need a ski that can literally do anything, lift or backcountry, mounted with the new Dukes. You guys think the Rustler 11 is close to fitting that bill? I also need some retail therapy, I’ve been good this whole virus.

For those diehard Gunsmoke and Peacemaker fans.... what is it about those skis that you miss? What is it that they did that say other skis don’t do? What do you like more about them than Rustler?

I get it all the time from people and people with all sorts of different skiing styles. People that mounted them forward of the mark and more traditional skier who moved them back.
    They were fun skis for sure but I think people would be shocked by how few were actually sold. Granted they couldn’t have been any more challenged graphically.

For me there was too much rocker, especially in the tail. If you got out of balance it was really hard to recover and you ended up tail wheelying all the time. Maybe that wasn’t an issue for people that mounted them further forward?

Just interested to hear people’s perspectives. I will tell you that they won’t get re-released but Rustler will get some updates at some point in the future so you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by ChunderBumps View Post
    I always thought of the Gunsmokes as slightly thinner, more versatile Moment Bibbys. Not exactly, but they felt more similar to me than a lot of other freestyle skis. Damp freestyle wide twins, -6cm mount and felt good in any condition, being driven or skied more relaxed.

I need a ski that can literally do anything, lift or backcountry, mounted with the new Dukes. You guys think the Rustler 11 is close to fitting that bill? I also need some retail therapy, I’ve been good this whole virus.
    I have a pair of shifts on mine, they do very little touring but when the conditions warrant them, very few skis Id rather be lugging up the hill for that weight. I really cant say enough good things about those skis. I've only wished for more ski when its 2+ feet on somewhat flat terrain. They can really ski it all very, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    For those diehard Gunsmoke and Peacemaker fans.... what is it about those skis that you miss? What is it that they did that say other skis don’t do? What do you like more about them than Rustler?

I get it all the time from people and people with all sorts of different skiing styles. People that mounted them forward of the mark and more traditional skier who moved them back.
    They were fun skis for sure but I think people would be shocked by how few were actually sold. Granted they couldn’t have been any more challenged graphically.

For me there was too much rocker, especially in the tail. If you got out of balance it was really hard to recover and you ended up tail wheelying all the time. Maybe that wasn’t an issue for people that mounted them further forward?

Just interested to hear people’s perspectives. I will tell you that they won’t get re-released but Rustler will get some updates at some point in the future so you never know...
    I skied the 193 Gunsmoke at +1.5cm from the recommended bump. I tried on the bump (my pair the top sheets were off by a bit) and I couldn’t find a balance point on the ski that was comfortable, but at +1.5cm they were easy.

I liked how easy and versatile they were in any soft snow. Some people might call them boring, but for me I never had a second thought if they could handle what I wanted.

I’ll try to be more specific. The tip and tails were soft enough to flex to keep the tip above the snow in soft snow, but stiff (maybe damp is a better word) enough the tips and tails didn’t collapse at snow density changes. The whole ski had a flex that allowed me to really push the ski into holes, and the skis rebounded with a comfortable controllable pop that let you ski around bumps or pop off them and double to a bump down hill. They weren’t light by any means, but they were just light enough to be comfortable for a quick 30-60 min tour/hike out of bounds to where you didn’t even think about bringing lighter skis, and when you got there you had a real ski under you.

If you got into a tight spot, trees, bumps, a chute, or couloir, you had that Blizzard feel under your feet where you could get your edges in and be fine if needed. If you needed to make a sketchy jump turn, you’d be fine. If you needed to turn on the gas, you’d be fine.

The tips and tails (at +1.5) had enough support to reward a good technique, but not punish me if I got into the back seat. The tip and tail rocker made wiggling through tight trees, or riding the wiggles that appear around JHMR every winter, super easy to slarve around corners.

They weren’t as good as a Cochise at bashing through pow, and didnt have the float of a Bodacious or Spur, but that was alright because they were a much better pow ski then the Cochise and a lot easier to ski then a Bodacious or Spur. I could grab them if their was 3 in of snow or 24in, and know Id be fine.

Maybe that’s too vague, but they just worked for me. Maybe given enough time the R11s would feel the same, but I tried them for a few days and never got the same feeling. I understood why the changes were made, and before the R11 came out I definitely said the Gunsmoke would be a much better ski with a bit of metal and some tweaks to the rocker profile, but then it wasn’t the Gunsmoke any more.

You say it won’t get remade, but so did Dynastar about the Pro-Rider and that keeps coming back... I’m just going to holdout hope.

The Gunsmoke didn’t sell that many skis compared to what? Is it compared to the Cochise? To the Brahma? To other 193cm 116mm wide twin tip pow skis? Maybe the answer is for off the record over a beer some day?

I liked how easy and versatile they were in any soft snow. Some people might call them boring, but for me I never had a second thought if they could handle what I wanted.

I’ll try to be more specific. The tip and tails were soft enough to flex to keep the tip above the snow in soft snow, but stiff (maybe damp is a better word) enough the tips and tails didn’t collapse at snow density changes. The whole ski had a flex that allowed me to really push the ski into holes, and the skis rebounded with a comfortable controllable pop that let you ski around bumps or pop off them and double to a bump down hill. They weren’t light by any means, but they were just light enough to be comfortable for a quick 30-60 min tour/hike out of bounds to where you didn’t even think about bringing lighter skis, and when you got there you had a real ski under you.

If you got into a tight spot, trees, bumps, a chute, or couloir, you had that Blizzard feel under your feet where you could get your edges in and be fine if needed. If you needed to make a sketchy jump turn, you’d be fine. If you needed to turn on the gas, you’d be fine.

I’m sure you already have a list of skis to try, but let’s add to the list.
    Moment wildcat 108, if it skis like a smaller 118 it will be dependable when snow gets weird and you need to turn on the gas, probably stiffer tips than gunsmokes but solid flex and pop.
    Candide 3.0s maybe too light but tons of pop, easy to double up rollers and swing around.
    Enforcer 110 mounted forward, does not have as much pop, not as loose, very easy to ski, does everything well to the point of being boring but dependable. Sometimes I wish it had a longer turn radius but I think the versatility is what really makes it such a good ski and it might loose some of that.
    Dynastar m-free 108 haven’t tried but could be a close option.
    K2’s wreckoner 112 haven’t tried but it looks like an intriguing option, loose and easy to ski, the 102 has a decent backbone for a freestyle ski so the 112 might also.
    On3p Jeffrey 108 also an option
    All of these have a 190+ length option also. A lot of companies have a gap from 108-116 underfoot in their lineup. I think 108-114 is the perfect daily driver width out west.
    I’m ready to be skiing again...

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    I’m sure you already have a list of skis to try, but let’s add to the list.
    Moment wildcat 108, if it skis like a smaller 118 it will be dependable when snow gets weird and you need to turn on the gas, probably stiffer tips than gunsmokes but solid flex and pop.
    Candide 3.0s maybe too light but tons of pop, easy to double up rollers and swing around.
    Enforcer 110 mounted forward, does not have as much pop, not as loose, very easy to ski, does everything well to the point of being boring but dependable. Sometimes I wish it had a longer turn radius but I think the versatility is what really makes it such a good ski and it might loose some of that.
    Dynastar m-free 108 haven’t tried but could be a close option.
    K2’s wreckoner 112 haven’t tried but it looks like an intriguing option, loose and easy to ski, the 102 has a decent backbone for a freestyle ski so the 112 might also.
    On3p Jeffrey 108 also an option
    All of these have a 190+ length option also. A lot of companies have a gap from 108-116 underfoot in their lineup. I think 108-114 is the perfect daily driver width out west.
    I’m ready to be skiing again...

I want to be skiing again soon too, we all do.

Quick run down:
    Wildcat 108 is on the list to try, if I make it to Tahoe this winter I’ll try to grab a pair from Moment.

I have a pair of 3.0s, but bought the 204s and they are just too long. Super fun, really close to the Gunsmoke, and maybe I’d like the 192. If I can find a pair on sale, maybe I’ll give the 192s a shot.

Enforcer 110 is meh, I like the new (next years) 115 a ton, but it’s not poppy and playful like the Gunsmoke.

I’ve heard good things about the M-108, it’s on the list.

The Wreckoner 112s tips are really soft, but I going to check it out.

ON3P and I don’t get along... idk why but it never works.

Rossignol snuck in the Black Ops Sender Squad, a 194cm 1142mm twin tip, out, or I don’t see much about it. I grabbed a pair from Evo and am pretty excited about it. I’ll report back in December.

Thanks for the help.

Rossignol snuck in the Black Ops Sender Squad, a 194cm 1142mm twin tip, out, or I don’t see much about it. I grabbed a pair from Evo and am pretty excited about it.
    You lucked out, I didn't even know we had any. Might be right on, I almost got a pair of Black Op 118's as a Gunsmoke replacement a few years ago, but it just didn't have the same precision on edge . . .

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post

I demo'd a pair for a day and felt the same way. I was shocked that a 193cm ski could have a tail that felt that unsubstantial.

The sender squad is very intriguing. I’m excited to hear your thoughts on it once you’ve gotten it on snow.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I demo'd a pair for a day and felt the same way. I was shocked that a 193cm ski could have a tail that felt that unsubstantial.
    Hmmm. I had 3 pairs of 186's and never had a problem with not enough tail support while skiing. Only issue was skating across flats and hooking the tails on each other.

What's Blizzard up to?

Dynastar m-free 108 haven’t tried but could be a close option. TGR Forums
    THIS!! Diehard lover of my smokes and after 3 days on the Mfree 108 last year it is the ski I’ve been looking for to kick the smokes off their podium!!

Super edgy when you need it, effortless to swing around or smear any shape of turn. Nice weight so it’s damp as hell!!

They are a bit more narrow but they float well and better than they should based on dims.

You should really get on a pair this year — I’m buying em.

Name:	IMG_3576.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	869.3 KB 
ID:	337775

Railing turns on the 108 — haven’t had this much fun skiing since... well when I got on smokes!

Name:	IMG_0472.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	337776

Hmmm. I had 3 pairs of 186's and never had a problem with not enough tail support while skiing. Only issue was skating across flats and hooking the tails on each other.
    Maybe it just took me by surprise more than anything? I usually like/ski stuff with really low tail rocker and in my head I was thinking "a 193 must be stable, otherwise why ski a 193?"

FWIW I have awful balance, I just lean forward lol.

Ditto

The metal in them does not yield soft tails

You lucked out, I didn't even know we had any. Might be right on, I almost got a pair of Black Op 118's as a Gunsmoke replacement a few years ago, but it just didn't have the same precision on edge . . .
    You guys had the only pairs for sale in North America I could find, granted it’s really early, so I bought them. Even paid retail, which I NEVER do. I went to check something else out on your website today and they are all sold out.

Oh those tails catching was always fun. People would definitely give me looks as I stumble skating across flats.

Do you guys find 108mm skis to have that big ski planted feel that 114mm skis have? I know I’m splitting hairs here. I might buy some Wildcat 108s since I get along with all Moments mustache rocker skis, but I do hope they expand the Wildcat lineup to add a 113mm ski in between. I always ended up skiing Bibbys everyday over PB&Js when I owned both, because the Bibbys felt more steadfast yet barely harder to ski in firm moguls or trees. There were some days I wish it was very slightly thinner. A 113-114mm Wildcat could replace gunsmokes for me as a twin tip one ski quiver. Correct me if I’m wrong, and Wildcat 108s feel like a big ski, the way Wren 108s do.

Everything about the K2 112 reckoners look great, except their weight. K2s have always been noodles IMO, but their saving grace for larger skiers was heavy damp feel, almost like extra fiberglass feeling in a praxis 2 flex ski. Reckoners don’t have that weight.

Sender Squads look amazing.

Do you guys find 108mm skis to have that big ski planted feel that 114mm skis have? I know I’m splitting hairs here. I might buy some Wildcat 108s since I get along with all Moments mustache rocker skis, but I do hope they expand the Wildcat lineup to add a 113mm ski in between. I always ended up skiing Bibbys everyday over PB&Js when I owned both, because the Bibbys felt more steadfast yet barely harder to ski in firm moguls or trees. There were some days I wish it was very slightly thinner. A 113-114mm Wildcat could replace gunsmokes for me as a twin tip one ski quiver. Correct me if I’m wrong, and Wildcat 108s feel like a big ski, the way Wren 108s do.

Everything about the K2 112 reckoners look great, except their weight. K2s have always been noodles IMO, but their saving grace for larger skiers was heavy damp feel, almost like extra fiberglass feeling in a praxis 2 flex ski. Reckoners don’t have that weight.

Sender Squads look amazing.
    114-118 skis do feel more substantial. I think the wildcat 118 would be more ski than the gunsmoke, the 108 would keep more of the easy ski ability. Just depends on what aspects you care more about keeping and what hole in the quiver you want to fill.
    I need to try out the new k2 line. I had old Kung Fujas that were noodles all the way through, hated them. These new ones seem more refined, solid underfoot but still super soft in the tip. They probably won’t feel great at speed, but should be fun to load up and pop over stuff. I’ll have to try them to see how they are for sure though.

114-118 skis do feel more substantial. I think the wildcat 118 would be more ski than the gunsmoke, the 108 would keep more of the easy ski ability. Just depends on what aspects you care more about keeping and what hole in the quiver you want to fill.
    I need to try out the new k2 line. I had old Kung Fujas that were noodles all the way through, hated them. These new ones seem more refined, solid underfoot but still super soft in the tip. They probably won’t feel great at speed, but should be fun to load up and pop over stuff. I’ll have to try them to see how they are for sure though.
    I did not like the Kung Fujas either, but loved all the Shreditors, Pettitors, and Seth skis in any condition. The marksman was uninspiring for me on hard snow. I plan on demoing the reckoner 112 as soon as I can, however I don’t have high hopes for damp feeling with that weight. Flex aside, old K2 pro models were 2.4kg skis and had a damp feel. If the Reckoner 112 has some sort of low weight, but damp composite wizardry, and feel anything like the shreditor 112s, I’ll buy them for sure.

Does the Rustler 11 have a more even or gradual flexing tip than the enforcer skis? I haven’t the E110 or 115Pro, but have a few days each on 19Xcm Enforcer 93 or 100. The tails were fairly stiff, but I felt a hinge point in the tips to a soft tip that would buckle n catch for me if I tried to lean into them. The Enforcer 110 is supposed to be the softest right, and you guys are saying it’s noticeably more ski than the Rustler 11? I had the same issue with Patrons, but the gunsmoke had a more even flex. Hoping this is the case for Rustlers.

I can ski an all around soft K2 ski harder because it’s predictable. I always know how that soft even flex is going to react to more challenging conditions. When a ski has a hinge point like some of these Nordicas, they don’t feel as predictable for me.

Does the Rustler 11 have a more even or gradual flexing tip than the enforcer skis? I haven’t the E110 or 115Pro, but have a few days each on 19Xcm Enforcer 93 or 100. The tails were fairly stiff, but I felt a hinge point in the tips to a soft tip that would buckle n catch for me if I tried to lean into them. The Enforcer 110 is supposed to be the softest right, and you guys are saying it’s noticeably more ski than the Rustler 11? I had the same issue with Patrons, but the gunsmoke had a more even flex. Hoping this is the case for Rustlers.
    I hated the folding tips on the Enforcers I tried a few years back (185 100's, I think). This is not a problem with the Rustler 11's at all. The 11's are very, very good skis. So easy yet so capable in just about any conditions. They are currently the benchmark ski to which I currently compare all others.

What's Blizzard up to?

=The 11's are very, very good skis. So easy yet so capable in just about any conditions. They are currently the benchmark ski to which I currently compare all others.
    I’ve got some extra 115mm Pivots, and am looking for a ski to add to the quiver. Cochise?, MB 108?, Candide 4.0?.....Keep comparing to the R11s that I already own.....so there’s a good chance I’ll have two pair of R11s in the quiver next year. 1 green pair with Shifts, 1 orange new pair with Pivots. Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I’ve got some extra Pivots, looking for a ski to add to the quiver. Keep coming back to the R11.....pretty sure I’ll have pair of R11s in the quiver next year. 1 with Shifts, 1 with Pivots. Oh well.
    Sell Shifts, upgrade Pivots with CAST?

Unless adding a ski is a goal in itself.... Nothing wrong with that

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I’ve got some extra 115mm Pivots, and am looking for a ski to add to the quiver. Cochise?, MB 108?, Candide 4.0?.....Keep comparing to the R11s that I already own.....so there’s a good chance I’ll have two pair of R11s in the quiver next year. 1 green pair with Shifts, 1 orange new pair with Pivots. Keep it simple.
    That was my strategy last season. This year I'll go alpine bindings on both pairs, heaviest touring ski will be ZG105 + Backland Tours. What if you break a pair during a storm cycle?