Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Good points; I'll keep this in mind as I use the boots more. It was pretty warm yesterday (40F?), so that could have contributed to the deformation of the shells too.

Any thoughts on the Luxury vs. some of the other Intuition offerings for a boot like this? (I know, search JONG etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I didn't make it to On Snow to confirm if Tecton incompatibility was relative or absolute...
    The toe bumper is what "levers" the boot out in a forward fall- so no, not compatible with Fritschi bindings if you want to release in a forward fall.

Stupidest fucking boot I've ever seen.

It just keeps getting better! Actually does deform noticeably with forward flex, is soft, has wide-ass forefoot, no toe welt, isn’t compatible with a bunch of bindings, closure system is fiddly, crampon system is proprietary and cheesy-looking. Woohoooo!

All they had to fucking do was put this walk mode on a goddamn Vulcan with a slightly different lower buckle placement, slightly wider forefoot and a couple other tweaks.

Instead we get a non-RS Maestrale that shortens transitions by 10 seconds and doesn’t work with most of the shit you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    It just keeps getting better! Actually does deform noticeably with forward flex, is soft, has wide-ass forefoot, no toe welt, isn’t compatible with a bunch of bindings, closure system is fiddly, crampon system is proprietary and cheesy-looking. Woohoooo!

All they had to fucking do was put this walk mode on a goddamn Vulcan with a slightly different lower buckle placement, slightly wider forefoot and a couple other tweaks.

Instead we get a non-RS Maestrale that shortens transitions by 10 seconds and doesn’t work with most of the shit you already have.
    But but #pantsdownalways. FFS

The forward flex deformation is less than almost any other boot I tried on or skied in - incl. Lange XT 130, Hawx Xtd 130, Tecnica Zero G 130.
    And the heel hold is better than on a Vulcan or on the Hawx Ultra xtd.
    Last edited by culoduro; 02-03-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by culoduro View Post
    The forward flex deformation is less than almost any other boot I tried on or skied in - incl. Lange XT 130, Hawx Xtd 130, Tecnica Zero G 130.
    So you've skied on Hojis, and find them acceptable/solid? I was just saying that compared to all the boots I've owned/skied (admittedly all heavier / more alpine-like), the Hojis had noticeable flex/deformation. Different reference points, I guess.

Nope, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ski on the Hoji yet, just carpet testing.
    I've skied Lange XT 130 FT and Atomic Hawx XTD 130, and I've tried on the other ones.
    The deformation if the Hoji on forward flex was markably less than on the Atomic. I also did not find the Lange to be particularly stable fore/aft.

Quote Originally Posted by culoduro View Post

Really? I also carpet tested one of the early release Hoji's back to back with a Hawx XTD 130 and the Hawk felt stiffer. Pretty fun boot to fiddle with regardless.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Now if someone could just bend over and rip my skins
    https://instagram.com/p/Beyb69iHnbF/

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Now if someone could just bend over and rip my skins
    https://instagram.com/p/Beyb69iHnbF/
    I could probably do that move on a flat surface, bluebird sky, no wind and in my twenties....in my forties, in deep tricky balancey pow, whiteout vertigo and wind, forget about it. I'd sit my old ass down on my topsheets and kick it old school. Ripping skins? Last time I put out my back in my early 30's was trying to do the slick move all the wannabe rando racers do... These days I figure if i'm in a crew that's rippin' skins doing the yoga move thingy, i'm rollin' with the wrong crowd... I mean, I sit there and watch em and they get 'er done in the time I have two drags of my freshly lit cigarette; how's a guy supposed to enjoy his smoke with that time stress? Forget about it.

But yeah, having said that, the techy geek in me respects that game, I just ain't the playa.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    I could probably do that move on a flat surface, bluebird sky, no wind and in my twenties....in my forties, in deep tricky balancey pow, whiteout vertigo and wind, forget about it. I'd sit my old ass down on my topsheets and kick it old school. Ripping skins? Last time I put out my back in my early 30's was trying to do the slick move all the wannabe rando racers do... These days I figure if i'm in a crew that's rippin' skins doing the yoga move thingy, i'm rollin' with the wrong crowd... I mean, I sit there and watch em and they get 'er done in the time I have two drags of my freshly lit cigarette; how's a guy supposed to enjoy his smoke with that time stress? Forget about it.

But yeah, having said that, the techy geek in me respects that game, I just ain't the playa.
    Haaa, I’m so wit ya on all that . That’s why I like the possible no bending thing. I might work on it in my kitchen if I thought I wouldn’t have to bend me ol bones

From listening to the Blister (or LPP, I forget) podcasts, it sounds like it was Dynafit euro HQ that bungled this boot with the stupid bullet nose. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Ripping skins? Last time I put out my back in my early 30's was trying to do the slick move all the wannabe rando racers do...
    You mean the jump and double rip?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    You mean the jump and double rip?
    Triple*. His back went too

Triple*. His back went too
    Haha, well played!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    From listening to the Blister (or LPP, I forget) podcasts, it sounds like it was Dynafit euro HQ that bungled this boot with the stupid bullet nose. Ugh.
    It's quite the bet, that everyone who wants this freeride tech boot won't want freeride tech bindings
    I doubt they thought beyond "it worked for the TLT7 so why wouldn't it work for freeride?"
    It is just so frustrating to see the industry standardizing and Dynafit giving the big middle finger to standardization with flagship products.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Euros in suits. They know freeride

It's called the Hoji Pro Tour, it's a touring boot designed to compete with the Scarpa Maestrale RS. Many Maggots want it to be the successor to the Vulcan, but it isn't, because that's not the market that Dynafit are going after.

http://mtnguiding.com/media/

Review from a guy. Some of you may know Kevin - personally, i highly respect his skiing ability and snow knowledge.

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post

Review from a guy. Some of you may know Kevin - personally, i highly respect his skiing ability and snow knowledge.

Thanks for sharing. Good to have his perspective.

Euros in suits. They know freeride
    I think Dynafit upper management wear spandex in the office...

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post

KH and EH's brother, SH are in business together (HJ Masonry). And KH and EH have known each other a loooong time.

Neither here nor there, just sayin. KH gives good, honest reviews.

Definitely respect KH's ski and BC skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Ofcourse this is an interesting boot, but why is there so much hype around it? Just because Hoji is an amazing skier that likes to fiddle with his boots and Dynafit putting the spotlight on that?
    It's not like Dynafit and Hoji came with some amazing products in the past and easy walk mode switches are not new..

Interested in what you guys think about next years Fischer Ranger boot in comparison to this "unicorn" Its just a ski boot with a walk mode, good ROM and one less handling? Or am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghini View Post
    Ofcourse this is an interesting boot, but why is there so much hype around it? Just because Hoji is an amazing skier that likes to fiddle with his boots and Dynafit putting the spotlight on that?
    It's not like Dynafit and Hoji came with some amazing products in the past and easy walk mode switches are not new..

Interested in what you guys think about next years Fischer Ranger boot in comparison to this "unicorn" Its just a ski boot with a walk mode, good ROM and one less handling? Or am I missing something here?
    There’s a degree of accessibility and relateability with Hoji, that doesn’t exist in most other product developments. We bitch and moan about what’s wrong with existing products, and what we’d do if given the opportunity, and we follow along with Hoji as he actually gets to do it. It’s a compelling narrative that certainly draws me in, but whether his exceptional skiing skills translates into innovations that have merit, or if Dynafit allows the uncompromised expression of those ideas, is open to debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghini View Post
    It's not like Dynafit and Hoji came with some amazing products in the past
    Well, the Vulcan was an awesome boot, and still isn't terrible compared to the competition. Of course, Dynafit made no improvements for 5 years, but the Vulcan was pretty ahead of its time when it first came out.

Re hype: I think we all wanted to see what was possible for Vulcan 2.0, especially if Hoji was given more design choices. Like you said, he's an amazing skier who likes to tinker with his boots, and he's also one of the first skiers to adopt tech binders for filming and in consequential terrain.

If you like an instep buckle to keep your heel back while touring, your options for a long time were pretty much Maestrale RS or Vulcan. Recently there's been others (Lupo TI and now Full Tilt's offering for next season), but they're a bit heavier.

photos