Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    2 pairs 183 Rossi Axioms, with demo 912's, for $20 total, from the former Irwin catskiing operation. Had I known that the Axiom would be my favorite ski, and it still is to this day, I would have bought all 10 pairs or so that they had. The good thing is that Crested Butte was flooded with Axioms, so whenever someone broke one, I would invariably get the single, so I've been milking that for the past 12 years or so...

banff swap seemed to have fair prices from retailers (20% commision) and a balance of new to town kids looking for 1 ski for everything (155-175, 70-90mm) some parents looking for kids skis, and long term locals looking for work skis.

Sell thru was VERY high I found...

RMU Apostle

our last swap shop / local club died a 5+ years ago, sux. think at thier last one I grabbed a pair of black and pink solomon rear entry boots and old straight skis marked free, thinkin I'd just mount the boots in the skis over the fireplace.

Probably have 20 crap days on the boots now and they are going strong.
    "Can't you see..."

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    we don't have any true swaps here
    they are all benefits...so 20-30% of the price of sold gear goes to the designated benefit (ski patrol, local HS, etc)
    so you pretty much are donating to a good cause by selling there, NTTAWWT

as a result, you see pricing that's unimpressive
    local shops take their old gear there, but still try to sell it at a insignificant discount so that the charitable take doesn't affect their bottom line

my guess is that less than 10% of the gear at these swaps is actual private sellers selling at what i will call "true swap" pricing

this model of swap isn't really working; maybe you folks in real ski towns have a different setup
    That's how they all work. All the volunteer ski patrols and ski teams that sponsor the events started inviting vendors in thirty plus years ago, nothing's new. But renting the space is expensive, advertising is expensive, and people are lazy and want to buy shit on the internet, so commission prices shot up from 10 or 15% to 20% over the last decade. So to maximize profits, sponsors started charging vendors tag fees and sold item fees. And charging people at the door. And doing friday night sales for $20 entry fees. Then when the economy ate shit in '08 and all the manufacturers scaled back production, closeouts disappeared, which was how the vendors managed to get so much good gear for so cheap. Now closeouts get picked up by the websites (backcountry, stp, et al.) so they never make it to the swaps. Add that to the rapidly changing tech in skis and snowboards and there's just not a lot of great stuff to be sold at swaps nowadays.

Golden ski swap is $2 for below $200, $4 above which is more than fair

Sold some stuff at the big Max Bell swap in Calgary which is 30% cut
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

The sales here in Crested Butte were pretty incredible back around 2000. There were a lot of pros living here then, so they would put an ad in the paper and sell all their extra gear at the park. The successful ones would walk with 5-10K...

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    The sales here in Crested Butte were pretty incredible back around 2000. There were a lot of pros living here then, so they would put an ad in the paper and sell all their extra gear at the park. The successful ones would walk with 5-10K...
    Shit yeah they were, I got two pair of 4x4 bigs for $100 one year. I think roughly everyone in the butte was skiing those at that time.

Vail ski swap was unreal for a while there too, barely used race skis with 916s and p18s for next to nothin. Still some good deals at that one, especially soft goods, but the ebayers are all over it now.

Got a pair of armada JJ's last year for $40, one small core shot, otherwise minty. Few years ago got some FKS 140s for $15.

Brand new expensive climbing rope.. a nice bibler bivy sack and a slightly used Yosemite wall bag at a garage sale for 150 bucks.. I was so stocked

We got a pair of brand new in plastic Head STD up at Crystal Mtn, WA.....we have since used 1 ski as a pro sign ski

Not the greatest deal, but I'm really happy with the Thule I picked up for $150. Two keys, and all the hardware. No damage, very little use, and it looks like I could fit at least 4 pairs of 200cm fat skis.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

A new kokatat expedition drysuit for $100. Less skiing, more kayaking and open hull sailing for a possible el niño winter.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I also picked up a pair of solomon 1080 skis at 181cm when they were recent for $1 new in plastic at a police auction in Kent Washington. They were stolen from a shop and on auction the next winter as evidence. They even had an evidence sticker I threw on the ski and rode with for a few seasons in college.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I got a brand new Giro ski helmet for $6.00.

New Rossi Radical Pro boots, perfect fit, only pair they had, for $100 at the North Tahoe swap some years ago. Great boots, still skiing em.

Not at a swap, but a CList score...someone selling for their boss...two prs of Trekkers for $40. One pr never even used, one with a busted runaway strap buckle. Not that I really needed them but couldn't resist.

Brand new '14 Icelantic Keepers 181cm for $90 back in August

Scored a nice Dynastar rolling gear bag for $1.98 at Sniagrab (it's bullshit spelled backwards, except for this time).

Not this one exactly, but similar:

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Not at a ski swap, but back when I was in high school, I picked up a Thule roof/ski rack at Value Village for $50 AND fit my car without any issues. I was pretty pumped.

a chouinard mountain lounger. 3 bucks.

Just bought some t-race shells, was looking at about 200 for intuition liners....found some perfect fit for $60

just to piss gwat off, 1 pair if 15DIN pivots and one pair of 18DIN pivots for 20$ each including the skis they came on...
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

^grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    You win.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

bump for a new swap season.
    not amazing this year but ok deals

$10 skis with naxo bindings
    $75 skis with older dynafits (80mm brakes)