Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Help Needed-- No Shame Below

I need a job. I'm about to lose my house. I have three kids. Things have escalated quickly. The snowball began slow... but then it got real.

I'll keep this simple. I left my career to produce a major international freestyle competition in Japan. (brand name withheld on purpose.) After 4 years of work, I finally had investors. So I quit my day job. This was happening.

Oops.

After 3 months, the investors bailed on the master plan.

Business is business. Fine.

TGR-- without getting into specifics of brands and absolutely destroying myself in this industry... I need help. I invested everything I had into this... and now I need a job. I need a day job to pay the bills so I don't lose my house. I need help.

I don't know how to job-hunt in today's job market. I've been a HS English Teacher in Japan for the last 15 years. I created my (action sports competition producer persona) as my career change.

But that just imploded. And now I'm broke. I'm college-kid level broke. As in-- I don't know how to pay for my kids' next hospital visit, or the next pair of shoes.

I made a huge mistake. I trusted the wrong investors. I lost everything. I knew the risk. But now I need you. I need maggots.

How do I find a job in 2019? I'm 43. I don't know anything about resumes or online job search engines... I'm walking the streets talking to farmers over here.

I'll tell you how to secure investors for a hotel at a defunct ski resort in Japan... but I can't pay my damn bills.

I have a handful of ski resorts, hotels, events, etcetera. Want one? I'm knowledge-rich and cash-poor.

Today the rationing began. It's the first time I sat at the dinner table and watched my kids eat without serving myself because we don't have enough food.

We lost our health insurance today.

I need a job. I don't know how to find one. Please help me.
    Last edited by gaijin; 08-28-2019 at 07:23 AM.

shit, hard to read man, sorry you are in this place. i dont know know shit about teaching, japan (I dream of japow some day), or the ski industry i am no help. i do empathize with you, i can throw in for fund me to help out but unless you want to move to red neck missouri (dont do it) I cant help much.

MAG DOWN!!!!!!!

first off sorry.
    Secondly, It's not clear from your post, but are you still living in Japan? I would think that would be a detail folks may need in regards to areas of expertise to help out. Also if stateside, which state?

They hire almost anyone where I work, but it’s miserable and the starting pay is $11.?? and unknown variable schedule. Hard with kids (people do it, but it’s hard), and I couldn’t ever recommend moving to upper Michigan...though if you have any savings it goes a long way here.

My wife could likely put you to work at another iffy $13/hr job here.

I guess if you’re in a super heinous red alert bind we could talk more details. But honestly if you’re moving for a job and you’re in that much of a bind I think there should be way better connections than what I have.

Vibes.

Try and keep a relatively clear head. Your decision making skills matter now more than ever.
    Seriously reset your priority list.
    Believe in yourself. The world has a lot of places for you still.
    Humility...Pride will bring suffering.
    Begin with a tiny day to day plan. Achieve small goals.

Recognize not all is lost.

Mags will help.

There are new job search engines out there. Not sure if they have Japan jobs or not.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/ Is one
    Indeed is another

I haven’t looked but I bet they have resume writing advice on there.

Are you married? Does she work? Not saying can she support you, asking are there reasons you don’t want to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Try and keep a relatively clear head. Your decision making skills matter now more than ever.
    Seriously reset your priority list.
    Believe in yourself. The world has a lot of places for you still.
    Humility...Pride will bring suffering.
    Begin with a tiny day to day plan. Achieve small goals.

Recognize not all is lost.

Mags will help.
    Agreed with all of this. OP needs to accept that its going to be very uncomfortable for a while. Take any kind of job you can get right now. You need money to stay afloat. You dont need a lifeboat, you need a fucking piece of driftwood while you look for a lifeboat. Accept that you no longer will be working a normal workday, and that LITERALLY ALL POSSIBLE FREE TIME needs to be spent on job hunting and interim money making.

My ideas for jobs (interim):

-Online tutoring. Google it and see whats available in your country. I would assume there are lots of folks looks for english tutors, but you could also tutor basic math, science, etc im sure. Sign up for substitute teacher in your previous school district area, etc
    -Take online surveys. Wont pay a whole lot, but may help put food on the table for now. https://www.dollarsprout.com/paid-online-surveys/
    -Start stuffing applications at places open 24 hours. At least in the states its super easy to get a graveyard shift job working retail/customer service because most people applying for that gig are shitheads.
    -Do they have Taskrabbit in japan? Basically an app where you bid on doing tasks for other people.

Just spitballing here...

What do you mean you have a handful of ski resorts and hotels? Can you pivot those relationships to create cash flow? Start a guide service? Maybe even just create ski packages and book them in advance?

One thing is for sure it sounds like you need cash now. Can you airbnb a spare room? If not, move into your kids rooms and rent the master? There must be job opportunities for a bilingual 43yo. McDonalds?
    Last edited by jackattack; 08-28-2019 at 10:33 AM.

First, shit happens, stop beating yourself up cause that won't help your chances, at all.
    A resume is a resume. Hasn't changed and there are plenty of online examples you can use as a template. Just speaking English and Japanese is a huge plus in the job market.
    Have you considered getting back into teaching?

Also, where are you and are you able/willing to relocate. It's hard to find a place that isn't hiring around here.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

first vibes ++++++++++++++++++++++++

* you did not say if you are married and spouse works or single dad
    * do you have assets that can be sold via whatever craigslist type thing is near you (car ,other vehicles ski equipment, sports equipment jewelry, etc)
    * you did not say where you are located right now
    * you did not say how much your month expenditures are
    * you need a drafted plan

The Plan (suggested)
    start looking and going to interviews for job while....

Today - 2 weeks or until goods run out
    1.a liquidation sale(s) (i've done it to start my small business...all my beloved guitars, other important personal items, gone) on tgr, on ebay, garage sale(s), yard sale(s), vehicles other personal items on craigslist type lists - you can raise thou$ands of dollars with this immediately....

if you have not secured job yet then,

maybe start this 8-10 days in to #1
    2. start a short term gofundme thing (i dont know anything about these - never done it) to cover you after money raised from selling items goes and until you find a job

take any job now!
    even and if not great job then.....
    be looking for the better job

i am sure there are plenty of ppl here that can help in all respects i.e. buy your gear, contribute to gofundme, offer up possible jobs or ideas of where to look....

Lastly ....you can do this, you are in control.....clear your mind, push fear away, get organized , make the plan, execute the plan.....

Best!!! you will make it!

i would not borrow money
    i would not presell packages or goods you don't have....(this takes capital - to make the marketing materials, cash reserves to pay people back if something falls through) this is not a job and is subjecting you to being in a very bad position if things do NOT go perfect.....
    Last edited by MiCol; 08-28-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Fuck, that's tough. Are you still in Japan? If you're still there maybe try contacting Neck Beard.

That is neckbeard

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I have a handful of ski resorts, hotels, events, etcetera. Want one? I'm knowledge-rich and cash-poor.
    Can you explain this sentence more? It makes it sound like you have these as assets, but that doesn't make a lot of sense within the rest of your post.

Sorry to hear this.

Honestly being in Japan with a knowledge of the ski scene down on Honshu, you're pretty well placed to get in on the ski tourism industry in Japan. It's getting pretty hot right now. I started a side-hustle building custom roadtrips for people looking to ski Japan. Startup costs were literally a website domain and hosting, LLC, and some paid advertising. A few hundred bucks. Profit margins are good, and I have some decent interest so far in my first year. Maybe if you could get in on tourism with whatever knowledge you have, you could find success. For many people Japan is daunting to travel to because of the distance, language barrier, etc, so they want to pay someone to put their trip together for them.

I could actually see myself paying for some help from you in a bit after I get some deposits and cashflow. Could potentially use some of your knowledge that it seems like you have. Check out the website www.vandurajapan.com if you'd like, and I might be contacting you in the next month or so. Nothing much, but hey if it helps you out then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dongy View Post
    Sorry to hear this.

Honestly being in Japan with a knowledge of the ski scene down on Honshu, you're pretty well placed to get in on the ski tourism industry in Japan. It's getting pretty hot right now. I started a side-hustle building custom roadtrips for people looking to ski Japan. Startup costs were literally a website domain and hosting, LLC, and some paid advertising. A few hundred bucks. Profit margins are good, and I have some decent interest so far in my first year. Maybe if you could get in on tourism with whatever knowledge you have, you could find success. For many people Japan is daunting to travel to because of the distance, language barrier, etc, so they want to pay someone to put their trip together for them.

I could actually see myself paying for some help from you in a bit after I get some deposits and cashflow. Could potentially use some of your knowledge that it seems like you have. Check out the website www.vandurajapan.com if you'd like, and I might be contacting you in the next month or so. Nothing much, but hey if it helps you out then I'm all for it.
    pretty sure i checked out your site earlier this year...(i will look again to confirm) and noted it for future reference....looks like a good service to get the beta.....will def look you up when i head over there someday....

but as for the OP's post .....these are very very important defining statements.....not eating and loss of insurance with 3 kids ....means need cash now! not later....today....this big time stuff .....urgent.....

even a job started today will not pay for weeks.....a cash day job might.....this is not a situation where time is on his side..,he waited tilll last possible moment to ask for help....this is because it's the last thing he wants to do....i dont even know who this is .,....but the writing is on the wall....

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I'm about to lose my house.

I have three kids.

Things have escalated quickly.

I need a day job to pay the bills so I don't lose my house.

I need help.

now I'm broke.

As in-- I don't know how to pay for my kids' next hospital visit, or the next pair of shoes.

I made a huge mistake.........
    I lost everything. .........

But now I need you. I need maggots.

I can't pay my damn bills.

Today the rationing began. ...........................watched my kids eat without serving myself because we don't have enough food.

We lost our health insurance today.

Please help me.

there is no shame in this....but this request requires a different kind of plan than one with more time and still having some funds to ride things out a little longer.....literally sounds like his sponsor lied / screwed him and he believed in them....they might have been saying like "checks in the mail, I swear" and they had never sent and finally told him or they didnt ....but, it aint coming.,,,,but whether they told or not.....it aint coming .....he's at last place he would want to be asking for help....this is dire.,,...

the plan requires cash infusion .......NOW
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

OP, if you’re neckbeard, did you know cesare/telepariah/Charlie is in Japan now? He might have some ideas for you. I could put you in touch.

+++vibes+++ first of all.

Second, as people have asked, are you in Japan? If not, where? Location is pretty important.

Third, you are asking for help, that is good. Please don't feel shame for doing so. In fact, ask for more help. There are safety nets out there, depending on where you are. For ex, in the states most every decent sized town has a food bank. And food stamps, cash assistance, and medicaid may also be available. Seek these out. They will most definitely not fully support you or meet all needs, but they will make things go farther.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Fyi gaijin is not neckbeard

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Copy that.

Well shit, now I’m worried about neckbeard.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Oh, huh ok confused but I’ll take your word for it, I don’t know either personally. Didn’t neckbeard change his name?

All those guys who post from Japan look the same on the internet

Are there temp services where you live? In the states they pay quickly.

This was a hard read, hope you can pull it together.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

borrow from family.

do service industries in japan, like restaurants, give some cash (tips?) to employees daily? if yes, call-out friends in service industry (ie restaurants), and ask if they need a host, server, etc. lie about previous experience in other countries. or do the same in restaurants where you do not know manager or owner. bust ass and work hard. when not at work, bust ass to improve situation in the long run.

what about stripping?

First off, Thank You everyone for the immediate out-pouring of support. And thank you for the PMs asking for my paypal. I'm not exaggerating that we are hurting financially, but I am also not yet in a position to receive any funds online. I have not exhausted all my resources on the ground yet or from friends and family. Thank you! I'm just not there yet.

I'm reaching out now because I need everyone around me on the ground and in the cloud to be aware of my situation. I need a job and I don't really have job-hunting skills. Sure, I have a resume, but I feel like a fish out of water and don't really know where to begin online. Do online, data-entry jobs really exist or are they just false advertisements? Back in 2009 when I got my masters degree I was hunting online but after more than a 100 applications I never even got an interview. It made me believe that online hunting is a fallacy.

I'm also not really in a position to be very entrepreneurial right now. I have the spirit, mediocre skills, but not the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Secondly, It's not clear from your post, but are you still living in Japan? I would think that would be a detail folks may need in regards to areas of expertise to help out. Also if stateside, which state?
    I'm in Japan. But my folks are in Reno and while we are contemplating relocating... it's not really in the cards for the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    What do you mean you have a handful of ski resorts and hotels? Can you pivot those relationships to create cash flow? Start a guide service? Maybe even just create ski packages and book them in advance?
    Maybe. Through recent years of scouting venues and pitching investors I've gained a lot of insight into resorts around the country that are bankrupt or interested in selling. I have a list of hotels, too. So while I have access to move assets for investors, none of those businesses are in a position to hire me on the ground. They're bankrupt. It feels very odd to have so much insider knowledge of the industry on the ground but still be so far removed from an income.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    First, shit happens, stop beating yourself up cause that won't help your chances, at all.
    A resume is a resume. Hasn't changed and there are plenty of online examples you can use as a template. Just speaking English and Japanese is a huge plus in the job market.
    Have you considered getting back into teaching?

Also, where are you and are you able/willing to relocate. It's hard to find a place that isn't hiring around here.
    I'm contacting schools now. But it's the off season for hiring. The employment office is also searching for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dongy View Post
    Sorry to hear this.

This is an angle I've been contemplating for some time. And now might be the right time to begin planting the seeds. I'll give this harder thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thank you.

I don't know neckbeard, but we have communicated on this board.

I lost my previous employer's health insurance yesterday but will get the national plan soon. My wife is working and is very supportive of me. Her income won't support our family and home, but it's there. We have a wonderful marriage and family and she's always been more comfortable with change than myself.

I'm in panic mode. We invested all our savings into that career change... and then it melted away seemingly overnight. The company that was going to fund everything is from another industry... and decided to just bail on the ski industry. This was their pet project.

I should have negotiated a stronger contract (should they cancel.) But the risk was worth it at the time. I was admittedly blinded by the opportunity as I had worked so hard for it and had invested so much in money and time. I thought I made it.

I'll keep pushing on the ground today and will dig deeper into an online gig tonight. Tutoring, data-entry, teaching English, writing...