Page 259 of 599 FirstFirst ... 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,475 of 14967
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Rental house with our groups fleet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Nice clamp coordination
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Got to demo a Woodsman 96 prototype at Mt Hood Meadows demo day this past weekend. Just took it out for a few runs. First impression is it has much more Wrenegade bones than Kartel. Overall felt like a Wren with a looser tail. It has more forward mount than the Wren. I was able to ski it with a more centered to slightly forward stance to get it to perform. Skis fine at low speed but really comes alive with some speed.

Sounds like exactly what I want for non BG days.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

ON3P Quiver

128 > 118 > 108 > 88

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1293.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	274963

Looking for ski advice: I'm a new skier and have recently fallen in love. Now I'm looking to buy my first pair of skis and have gone down the rabbit hole that is the internet, which has been suggesting ON3P skis everywhere I turn.

Would Kartel 96 skis (161 cm) be a good ski for me?

• 5'6" (168 cm), 150 lb guy in my 20s
    • Intermediate skill level (just became comfortable on blues, not falling while controlling my speed)
    • Want to get good at blacks, doing groomed runs faster, carving, and maybe a few small jumps here and there (so 90% groomers, maybe I'll venture into tree land eventually)
    • Live in AZ, plan on southwest skiing (AZ, CO, UT, CA)
    • Would prefer a 1 ski quiver

Quote Originally Posted by ElementOfSurprise View Post
    Want to get good at blacks, doing groomed runs faster, carving, and maybe a few small jumps here and there (so 90% groomers, maybe I'll venture into tree land eventually)
    Ok - so that is not the Kartel96 imho, but more Wren/Woodsman terrain.

That being said, for where you are at skillwise Kartel96s should be perfect for that kind of use. They have enough sidecut to be able to cater to many turn shapes, yet a healthy rocker line makes them float better than they ought to. Their short effective edge make them easy to handle on groomers, yet they have enough backbone to handle speed. Personally I would opt for a ski that is the same lenght as you or longer - not shorter - and the short effective edge could make the ski have a speed limit or feel short/unsupportive with a definite decrease in soft snow capability.

I am 175cm/70 kg and used to have a pair k98s in 176 that I have since sold. They were a lot of fun, but 181 would be a better for me as the 176 were just too short for charging, while perfect for park. Then again - my rabbit hole excursion has gone on a bit longer than yours, so might like longer skis than you

That being said - chat with the good folks over at ON3P.com - they are very, very good at giving stellar advice and setting you up with the ski that you need.

GTFO JONG

This place is fucking soft these days.

...and yes K96 is a good ski for lots of ability levels (especially someone who is newer and skiing from more of an upright position and would benefit from a looser tail).

You should have been here yesterday!

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I’d recommend the Soul 7.

Sick jackattack! Anything fun in the rest of that rack?

Quote Originally Posted by rainy512day View Post
    Got to demo a Woodsman 96 prototype at Mt Hood Meadows demo day this past weekend. Just took it out for a few runs. First impression is it has much more Wrenegade bones than Kartel. Overall felt like a Wren with a looser tail. It has more forward mount than the Wren. I was able to ski it with a more centered to slightly forward stance to get it to perform. Skis fine at low speed but really comes alive with some speed.
    Pretty interested in these things, you know what kind of waist sizes will be coming out? I know Iggy doesn’t dig all the pre year hype per say but I would really love know more about these things esp with all the crazy good sales on skis this time of year. Your initial reactions is pretty much what I was hoping for.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

They more or less match the wren/kartel waist sizes and run just a little longer. I think Alex said there would be a 191.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Sick jackattack! Anything fun in the rest of that rack?
    A bunch of skis with metal, mostly Dynastars, and some carbon-y touring skis. Once I bring them all home from the hill this spring I’ll do a quiver pic in the appropriate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Pretty interested in these things, you know what kind of waist sizes will be coming out? I know Iggy doesn’t dig all the pre year hype per say but I would really love know more about these things esp with all the crazy good sales on skis this time of year. Your initial reactions is pretty much what I was hoping for.
    I rode a 96 @182cm and my friend tried a 108 @187cm. The ON3P guy said the sizes as of now, these are prototypes so things could change, are 177, 182, 187. I zoned out a bit so not sure if he mentioned anything longer.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    They more or less match the wren/kartel waist sizes and run just a little longer. I think Alex said there would be a 191.
    Love it, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rainy512day View Post
    I rode a 96 @182cm and my friend tried a 108 @187cm. The ON3P guy said the sizes as of now, these are prototypes so things could change, are 177, 182, 187. I zoned out a bit so not sure if he mentioned anything longer.
    108 187 sounds bomb, thanks! What kind of tip do they have on em? Any RES or assym here or are they more along the lines of the Wren/Kartel bi radius/elliptical type? Really not trying to instigate unwanted convos but I’m very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    108 187 sounds bomb, thanks! What kind of tip do they have on em? Any RES or assym here or are they more along the lines of the Wren/Kartel bi radius/elliptical type? Really not trying to instigate unwanted convos but I’m very interested.
    Looked like Wrenegade tips and tails. Not RES or asym. Beyond that I am just guessing.

Woodsman is finally final. Took awhile, though the sizes/waist widths haven't changed since we set out on designing them. No RES or Asym. Some of those earlier protos have pretty Wren-esc taper design (as a baseline) but final is a bit different. Found they skied better with more taper and less EE (sorry long EE guys, but the skis have spoken). We're literally swimming in Woodsman protos right now, so I've been sending people out on them even if they were pretty early on, so they can get an idea on balance and feel.

Still several weeks away from any sort of detailed public announcement, but I'm excited. Only bit for now, so people can plan a bit with spring sales on:
    116 - 177, 182, 187, 192
    108 - 177, 182, 187, 192
    96 - 172, 177, 182, 187
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

I finally had the chance to try my w114s, even if the conditions weren't really playing to their strengths.

As you would imagine w114s are not groomer killers - though they are a fair bit more fun that BGs on groomers imo. They like big turns and they like to go fast, but are somewhat sluggish due to their width and weight. Duh - I know. Still, pretty fun when arcing huge turns in mach loony.

I only got to ride some pockets of unridden dense, wind compacted and somewhat sun baked fresh. During those moments they really shone - or showed glimmers of what they will be like in fresh snow. Think rediculously floaty, easy and very willing to turn and very, very stable. Their rocker lines are just so dialed, so together with a healthy forebody stiffness they act very, very predictably in soft snow. I can but imagine how much fun they will be if given the chance to truly run in proper condtions.

Name:	w vs r.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	975.6 KB 
ID:	275081

I rode them back to back with Rustler 11s, a ski that is somewhat similar wrt rocker lines, dimensions and mount point - if very, very different wrt weight, stiffness and sidecut. The Rustlers are a bit more versatile than w114s, but there is about 0% debate concerning which of the two I am going to prefer for big days in fresh snow - w114s each and every time.

Half a day of use ain't much though - just a peak into the world of w114s. I really look forward to getting on them more. I am also very satisfied with the decision to have these as my top end charger in two quivers - so thanks for the TGR discount Iggy! I have no problem understanding how these could warrant a "best ski ever" moniker as mentioned in Blister's Gear Guide, that is when the conditions and terrain are right.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 03-20-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I finally had the chance to try my w114s in conditions, even if the conditions weren't really playing to their strengths.

As you would imagine w114s are not groomer killers - though they are a fair bit more fun that BGs on groomers imo. They like big turns and like to go fast, but are somewhat sluggish due to their width and weight. Duh - i know. Still, pretty fun when arcing huge turns in mach loony.

I only got to ride some pockets of unridden dense, wind comapcted and somewhat sun baked fresh. During those moments they really shone - or showed glimmers of what they will be like in fresh snow. Think rediculously floaty, easy and very willing to turn and very, very stable. Their rocker lines are just so dialed, so together with a healthy forebody stiffness they act very, very predictably in soft snow. I can but imagine how much fun they will be if given the chance to truly run in proper condtions.

Name:	w vs r.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	975.6 KB 
ID:	275081

I rode them back to back with Rustler 11s, a ski that is somewhat similar wrt rocker lines, dimensions and mount point - if very, very different wrt weight, stiffness and sidecut. The Rustlers are a bit more versatile than w114s, but there is about 0% debate on which I am going to prefer for big days in fresh snow - w114s each and every time.

Half a day of use ain't much though - just a peak into the world of w114s. I really look forward to getting on them more. I am also very satisfied with the decision to have these as my top end charger in two quivers - so thanks for the TGR discount Iggy! I have no problem understanding how these could warrant a "best ski ever" moniker as mentioned in Blister's Gear Guide, that is when the conditions and terrain are right.
    Yessir! Fav ski in my quiver (before I bent my knee sideways)
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Woodsman is finally final. Took awhile, though the sizes/waist widths haven't changed since we set out on designing them. No RES or Asym. Some of those earlier protos have pretty Wren-esc taper design (as a baseline) but final is a bit different. Found they skied better with more taper and less EE (sorry long EE guys, but the skis have spoken). We're literally swimming in Woodsman protos right now, so I've been sending people out on them even if they were pretty early on, so they can get an idea on balance and feel.

Still several weeks away from any sort of detailed public announcement, but I'm excited. Only bit for now, so people can plan a bit with spring sales on:
    116 - 177, 182, 187, 192
    108 - 177, 182, 187, 192
    96 - 172, 177, 182, 187
    Rad, thanks!

Excited about the 192 option! I hope they're heavy.

Looking forward to the release in a few weeks!

116 - 177, 182, 187, 192
    108 - 177, 182, 187, 192
    96 - 172, 177, 182, 187

116 - 177, 182, 187, 192
    108 - 177, 182, 187, 192
    96 - 172, 177, 182, 187
    Of course you dance around the 184/185 I want to make the decision that much harder. haha Shift the lengths to make a 190+ make sense but miss the sweet spot. 180, 185, 190 what's so wrong with that? (I know I'm being a picky asshole, I'm sorry)

Given the way ON3P's measure long with a straight pull, I think the 182 vs. 187 makes a lot of sense. Compared to the way most brands measure, it's really kind of like 179 / 184 / 189 / 194 .... which makes a ton of sense IMO. Most of my skis are in the 184 - 190 range, but I think with the Woodsman I'll be tempted to give the 182 a shot so it's a bit lighter and easier to swing around in tight spaces.

My 184 Wren 108's are really like 186 or 187 standing next to my other non ON3P skis.

Most brands have 10cm jumps in sizes, ON3P has 5cm jumps and people still complain that they don't come in the right size. iggy, what's your favorite brand of drink? I want to buy some stock.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    My 184 Wren 108's are really like 186 or 187 standing next to my other non ON3P skis.
    I have similar observations - my 184 Wren 98's are the same length as my wife's 188 Rossi Sky 7 HD 98's - give or take 5mm.