Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Wasn't Mammoth having a miserable year up until the past few weeks? Even with the recent snow dumps, Mammoth still would need another strong March and April (like last year) to make it into June. But, 2019-2020 marked the end of the El Nino pattern from last year, so the long-shot projection suggested a weaker season this year vs last.

I guess what I mean to say is, I feel like this is meant to be a sarcastic thread. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Uncle is assuming that lowering operational costs offsets lost revenue in the form of lodging, events, lift ticket sales, food/bev etc. Depending on the resort the math doesn’t pencil out that way
    No I didn't assume or say that at all. You're either trolling or, well, I don't know how you could come up with that. Obviously the resorts will lose revenues once they close. But they will have the benefit of the payments for passes, and will be providing nothing in return, and will incur no further costs, lift operation, grooming etc. Huge pain all around. Airlines, hotels, private rental accommodations all issuing refunds. Resorts losing money. Passholders are being treated differently as they have paid for something they won't receive. That is my point. And yes of course there are far more important issues.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If you didn't get your money's worth out of your season pass by March, were you really going to?

By the way, most resorts define getting your money's worth by breaking even on the price of a pass vs. day tickets. They don't care that you didn't get your pass down to $10/ski day.
    By no means do I think there should be or will be a discount based on a pandemic taking hold and humans needing to shelter in place to keep it from spreading and resorts doing the right thing and closing down before mandated by laws.

That said, your comment is asinine. Not everyone has the same plan as you. Due to my family's schedule, we do most of our skiing March, April and May. That is when we have places to stay due to our friends home being free to use from mid-March on, when they switch to lacrosse and whatever they do when they think ski season is over.

We did get our money's worth already, but that does not mean everyone has. Some folks just prefer spring skiing anyway. I know several pass holders that have skied 2-4 days this winter, with several planned trips this March and April. So they did not get their pass worth. Down to about $157 - $314 per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield3d View Post
    Wasn't Mammoth having a miserable year up until the past few weeks? Even with the recent snow dumps, Mammoth still would need another strong March and April (like last year) to make it into June. But, 2019-2020 marked the end of the El Nino pattern from last year, so the long-shot projection suggested a weaker season this year vs last.

I guess what I mean to say is, I feel like this is meant to be a sarcastic thread. Maybe.
    No, Mammoth wasn't having a miserable year, we just weren't having a stellar year. We still had plenty of snow, just no refreshers for quite awhile. The mountain still skied reasonably well despite the long time between storms. We are getting the March snows that would have kept us open well into spring. So, we do loose out on a large part of our pass, maybe not half but easily a third.

I don't have a real problem with it, as long as Alterra uses the pass money to pay employees for as long as what would be a normal season. Unfortunately I doubt they will. Rusty and the bean counters will focus on shareholders profits, bot employee or customer goodwill. I suspect if Mammoth were still owned by Dave (and he wasn't dead), the employees would get a better break. Maybe I am wrong, and sincerely hope I am, and Rusty will step up. Time will tell.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Resorts sell cheap passes in part to help them survive bad years--like this one. To give back money now defeats the reason they offer the pass in the first place. Skiers buy the passes because it's a much cheaper way to ski than day passes, knowing that bad snow years, broken lifts, injuries and illness can happen and that there is no contractual obligation for the resort to operate for so many days and they may not get their money's worth, or more likely will still get their money's worth but not as many days as they had hoped. It's a deal that benefits both parties and skiers have no right to renege on the deal when things don't work out their way.

The proof that skiers realize the passes are a good deal--the resorts will have no trouble selling them for next season (provided they guarantee there will be a next season).

In part, but mostly to get people to spend $500 on a room and $30 lunches on the hill.
    They sell cheap passes to make more money
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

They are in business to make money. That's what businesses do. But maybe if Bernie is elected president skiing will be free.

True dat! They must hate people like me who pay ~$10/day to ride chairs
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    No I didn't assume or say that at all. You're either trolling or, well, I don't know how you could come up with that. Obviously the resorts will lose revenues once they close. But they will have the benefit of the payments for passes, and will be providing nothing in return, and will incur no further costs, lift operation, grooming etc. Huge pain all around. Airlines, hotels, private rental accommodations all issuing refunds. Resorts losing money. Passholders are being treated differently as they have paid for something they won't receive. That is my point. And yes of course there are far more important issues.
    Not trolling at all, I work in sales for a resort so I have some very relevant perspective.

You sounded very confident about something that is not necessarily true, that being resorts are going to get a windfall or profit from not offering a discount/rebate on season passes due to lowered operating costs.

Any idea how many weddings and conferences have already been cancelled nationwide that were scheduled to take place at ski resorts after the ski season is over? Or how much immediate business has fallen off the books in the last two weeks?

All departmental budget numbers roll up to a single bottom line.
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 03-23-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If you didn't get your money's worth out of your season pass by March, were you really going to?
    I tend to use my pass most in the spring when I use the resort for easy access to high-elevation backcountry. I have 18 days on my pass and probably would have reached 25 if they stayed open. I'm not complaining or asking for a refund, just saying.

As for skiing itself - I had a busy winter before all this stuff hit, life kept happening which kept me from the mountains, and I was really looking forward to going up as much as possible during March and April... I like spring skiing. I genuinely don't understand why more people don't. So I was indeed planning on milking my pass as much as possible with late season. Can't really complain - got my money's worth - but I'm holding out with fingers crossed to see if they do a renewal discount or something. Would be a nice gesture.

Or on the other side of it, real chat, I'm also holding out because we're diving into a major financial crisis and we're all fucked and the like, and it remains to be seen how bad all this gets. There's probably not going to be a whole lot of tourism in general next year even if we are out from under this virus by then. The nightmare I'm fending off in my head is having a ski pass from a company that isn't around anymore. So more than a discount I'd like some assurance from these corporations that someone, somehow, will spin the lifts. Maybe that seems absurd but so are these times. In the meantime, stay well everyone!

word is that one of these groups that I might have some contact with is looking at their marketing and pricing plans amid covid, so they are at least considering something. likely will be just extensions for pricing and what if we don't open scenarios is my best guess; they don't know enough to share yet, but that should be coming in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    word is that one of these groups that I might have some contact with is looking at their marketing and pricing plans amid covid, so they are at least considering something. likely will be just extensions for pricing and what if we don't open scenarios is my best guess; they don't know enough to share yet, but that should be coming in the next few weeks.
    I would expect they delay the early purchasing for the best price deadlines in to late summer. I bet you can count on one hand the amount of passes sold in the past 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Afkpuz View Post
    There's probably not going to be a whole lot of tourism in general next year even if we are out from under this virus by then.
    I have a feeling you're wrong about that. There's going to be lot of pent up demand for travel and vacations when things are back to normal. Yes, many people will be financially affected and may not be able to splurge on travel, but lots of people will.

I'm one.

Me too. I plan to travel as soon as it's safe to do so.

Not trolling at all, I work in sales for a resort so I have some very relevant perspective.

You sounded very confident about something that is not necessarily true, that being resorts are going to get a windfall or profit from not offering a discount/rebate on season passes due to lowered operating costs.

Any idea how many weddings and conferences have already been cancelled nationwide that were scheduled to take place at ski resorts after the ski season is over? Or how much immediate business has fallen off the books in the last two weeks?

All departmental budget numbers roll up to a single bottom line.
    Yes I understand it is tough times and the idea is to try to make a profit. I have no problem with that. Now with all of those cancellations you are faced with, keeping the payments, deposits, reservations etc., or refunding?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Me too. I plan to travel as soon as it's safe to do so.
    Same here. Trying to determine when is safe will be the hard part.

Heard last night we should be good to go next week. Now if Mammoth would just lift their small backwoods town draconian ban on non locals...

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Heard last night we should be good to go next week.
    Jerry Falwell seems to think we're good now. I say go for it.

Only the sinners among us are going to die.

Yes I understand it is tough times and the idea is to try to make a profit. I have no problem with that. Now with all of those cancellations you are faced with, keeping the payments, deposits, reservations etc., or refunding?
    refunding all of it, unless they want to put the $$ towards next year's booking.

Of course the idea is to make a profit, we ain't no 501c3. Those new lifts are FKNA expensive

refunding all of it, unless they want to put the $$ towards next year's booking.

Of course the idea is to make a profit, we ain't no 501c3. Those new lifts are FKNA expensive
    Why the refunds/future credits then?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I have a feeling you're wrong about that. There's going to be lot of pent up demand for travel and vacations when things are back to normal. Yes, many people will be financially affected and may not be able to splurge on travel, but lots of people will.
    Pent up demand? You bet, and they're likely expecting a return to a semblance of normalcy by Fall, which is wildly optimistic IMHO.

It will be interesting to see the public's sentiment by (say) Labor Day.

Without taking this all polyass, I'm not at all optimistic.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Why the refunds/future credits then?
    People seem to like getting their money back when a trip is cancelled which is a different animal than the pass conversation and we want them to continue to be customers.

And back to the OP I have no idea what IKON should or will do, they don't have to be as nice to their customers since they're a glorified groupon business.