Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1383
    Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    What the f with the forward lean screws? Are the literally soldered in? Immediately stripped them all. Now not even sure what to do. Is this a known thing? I mean I am an idiot clutz but this seemed a little bizarre
    Posted about it because I had this exact same problem a year ago. Literally had to drill the screws out on one boot.

You can have good locktite that doesn't make you heat it up so much it scares you that you're going to melt the plastic around it. Or at least tell us the heat is MANDATORY to take them out. Or even just use screws that aren't made of cheese. I love this boot but FFS Tecnica you really cheaped out on some of the hardware on this. Still pissed they made rivets look like hex head fasteners.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

There is no “cheaping out” on hardware on anything. Everything used is to standard specs for ski boots. If you use a fresh #2 screwdriver and know what you’re doing you don’t even need the heat but it’ll take some serious effort to get the screws undone... as it should be. Good heat gun with the concentrating nozzle or a soldering iron makes the job 10x easier. Never use a screw gun. You’ll strip them every time.

There’s also a reason why they come with extra screws. If you flip the forward lean female piece always use the replacement screws with the fresh loctite. Its the most critical connection on the boot. It starts to loosen you’ll notice it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    There is no “cheaping out” on hardware on anything. Everything used is to standard specs for ski boots. If you use a fresh #2 screwdriver and know what you’re doing you don’t even need the heat but it’ll take some serious effort to get the screws undone... as it should be. Good heat gun with the concentrating nozzle or a soldering iron makes the job 10x easier. Never use a screw gun. You’ll strip them every time.

There’s also a reason why they come with extra screws. If you flip the forward lean female piece always use the replacement screws with the fresh loctite. Its the most critical connection on the boot. It starts to loosen you’ll notice it immediately.
    1. I've worked as a professional mechanic. Even bought brand new screwdrivers (needed a duplicate set anyways) with the special diamond dust for more grip after striping one pushing as hard as possible inwards to limit torque out. I know wtf I'm doing with a screwdriver. The huge problem here is that the Philips head was designed to limit the amount of torque you can put into the fastener. The loctite they put on it can easily exceed that. The Austrians have figured out that the walk mode screws should have a proper Allen headed bolt. And also talking about cheaping out in regards to the power strap rivets and buckle hardware that was originally shown to be Allen fasteners

2. Comparing these screws to other mission critical sports fasteners, like on a mtb, or even the Atomic walk mode screws...these are cheese.

3.They NOW come with extra screws, didn't at first. Hell the very first year they weren't putting any loctite on.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Well, functionally, it's no different from an "official" spoiler.

... Thom
    Truth. In my case I also have a fat spoiler back there. I've been removing and replacing the 1/2" foam on each lap. Not that bothered by the fiddling. I'll try taping it to the liner, but I imagine I'll get slightly reduced rearward rom. We have a lot of long flat approaches.

Where they cheaped out is the stupid powerstrap that almost immediately rides up the plastic cuff upon tightening or quickly loosens and becomes useless. A booster strap around the liner cuff makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    Where they cheaped out is the stupid powerstrap that almost immediately rides up the plastic cuff upon tightening or quickly loosens and becomes useless. A booster strap around the liner cuff makes a hell of a lot more sense.
    Booster straps have patent protection therefore cannot be OEed

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    That's the only nit I have to pick, and it's easy to solve.

I get that they're fighting a spec war (weight), along with the fact that a lot of people ditch power straps entirely, so I give Tecnica a pass on this.

Look at how crazy we all are, and our varying preferences.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Might have figured out why folks say the forward lean adjustment on these doesn't do much.

My pair is very early production (heard they were used in a Tecnica photo shoot before the model was released), so maybe later models are different.

On my pair, it appears the lug on the back of the clog for the lower pin bracket was accidentally positioned for the boot in the "more-lean" position. When means when you flip the chip for "less-lean", the bracket can't really move down (because the lug is in the way), so all you accomplish is tweaked screws. The clog mold should have positioned the lug for the "less-lean" position, and then the bracket could move up for the "more-lean" position. See photo of how the holes in the bracket can't line up with the holes in the chip. (The lugs on my pair actually show indents from someone trying to tighten the screws with the bracket not sitting the on the lug, which is where it should be.)

Bracket resting on lug, chip in "less lean" orientation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210409_041605355.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	959.4 KB 
ID:	371163

So to correct this, I milled just over 1mm off the bottom of the brackets (since that's way easier than trying to modify the lug on the clog) so the holes in the bracket can line up with the holes in the chip when in the "less-lean" position. Here's the first bracket after milling and a bit of file work to break the sharp edge.

Name:	PXL_20210409_040842568.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	371167

The bracket holes can now line up with the screw holes in the chip when in the "less lean" orientation.

Name:	PXL_20210409_043300954.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	972.0 KB 
ID:	371164

Put some Vibra-Tite on the screws, will compare the difference between positions tomorrow.

Name:	PXL_20210409_035846453.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	643.3 KB 
ID:	371159

Yeah these boots are normally quite upright and could even use MORE forward lean, especially in bindings like Wardens. But the Duke PT has a ton of ramp when you use rockered-sole AT boots, so now I'm actually glad the ZeroG doesn't have a lot of forward lean. Hopefully the corrected "less lean" mode will be enough to offset the binding ramp.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 04-11-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Anybody skiing these inbounds with shifts and Deathwish 112s or comparable? It's the one of two boots my local shop has and I need a backup boot for Bear tooth pass and Tahoe this spring. I'm struggling volume and fitting wise with my Lange xtd3 140 LVs. Can't get back to SLC to have them fixed anytime soon

I haven’t skied the xt3 yet but I have a pair and it feels a lot more substantial than the zero g scout. I don’t like skiing the scout inbounds. It’s a strong boot for the weight but still a compromise for charging variable conditions.

Great touring boot. Not interested in skiing them inbounds.

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    Anybody skiing these inbounds with shifts and Deathwish 112s or comparable? It's the one of two boots my local shop has and I need a backup boot for Bear tooth pass and Tahoe this spring. I'm struggling volume and fitting wise with my Lange xtd3 140 LVs. Can't get back to SLC to have them fixed anytime soon
    My touring set up is ZGPTs with 184 Deathwish tours on Voyager pin bindings and my resort setup is Dalbello Krypton 120s or Cochise 130s with 190 Deathwishes and pivots.

I think the ZGPT skis great when I'm touring, but when I take that setup in bounds it is pretty brutal if everything is skied out. My resort setup absolutely smokes it in comparison.

It's not apples to apples of course. The regular DWs and shifts will make a huge difference.

Be forewarned, I was using the ZGPTs in shifts earlier in the season and the lugs were getting chewed up really fast. There are pictures earlier in this thread.

If you're in Tahoe, bring them to Tahoe Sports Hub in Truckee. They'll work on the boots for ya.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

i’m picking up the better and more normal tecnica strap today from the shop and i am expecting the performance to go up.

so far, regardless of performance, i’ll say that getting parts is way easier than with scarpa. are they trying to trick me into thinking some companies care about a user’s experience with their products?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Alright, sounds like if they fit they won't be terrible for slushy days in bear tooth and tahoe this season.

The 130 flex on the stiff side for a 5'9 155 skier of skill advanced level? My xt3 140s are on the stiffer side for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    i’m picking up the better and more normal tecnica strap today from the shop and i am expecting the performance to go up.

so far, regardless of performance, i’ll say that getting parts is way easier than with scarpa. are they trying to trick me into thinking some companies care about a user’s experience with their products?
    Do you have a part number for that strap?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    Do you have a part number for that strap?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Really only need the buckle.

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/...-lock-hook-5pr

Got the boot, fit great with just a meta punch. Skied it through some slushy bumps on the Deathwish 112. Love it. Downhill is great for the weight (or in general). Need more days to really compare it to something beefier.
    Last edited by AZskibum; 04-26-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Anybody found a good way to keep the "power strap" tight? Seems to loosen every chance it gets.

I like the boot, but I could see a better liner being a plus. What's everyone's go to for upping the ski performance a tad while keeping the touring orientation?

Anybody found a good way to keep the "power strap" tight? Seems to loosen every chance it gets.

I like the boot, but I could see a better liner being a plus. What's everyone's go to for upping the ski performance a tad while keeping the touring orientation?
    Yeah I'm about to cut the power strap off. If I replaced it it would be with a velcro one. I think the cam style powerstraps are dumb personally.

The buckle that comes on them sucks. Just replacing it with the one off the Mach1 goes a long way. They're like 5g heavier though, so you're gonna die if you try walking uphill with them.

A shop that carries Technica can get you a pair for like $8

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    The buckle that comes on them sucks. Just replacing it with the one off the Mach1 goes a long way. They're like 5g heavier though, so you're gonna die if you try walking uphill with them.

A shop that carries Technica can get you a pair for like $8
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Got mine. A bit pricey at $30 plus shipping, but hey! I saved so much on gas alone by taking a off year for COVID (not contracting it, thankfully), that it was a drop in the annual expense bucket.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

booster strap would be my choice. while the stock strap has been adequate for me (hasn't loosened while skiing I don't think?), I don't really need the extra stiffness at my size and with the skis I'm skiing, I mostly use it to keep the shell tight when I'm unbuckling the boot lol. also, personally the stock liner has worked well for me (although it's a little cold). but I know a lot of people have been swapping the liner...

I had booster straps and they worked well, but i replaced then with voile straps and they work just as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I had booster straps and they worked well, but i replaced then with voile straps and they work just as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I put "XL" (slightly burlier than normal) voile straps on, they're great. And bonus, you've got two more ski straps with you when your binding/boot/bag/leg explodes and needs strapping back together