Texas/AR winter riding

I’m thinking of taking a riding trip to Texas and maybe Bentonville/Eureka Springs this winter. Timing would be around late Jan/early Feb.
    One idea is to go south to Big Bend and then towards Austin/Spider Mtn. Other idea is Arkansas then Austin.
    A buddy will likely be driving out from NC looking for warmer weather but he can suck it up if AR would be rideable and good. I’ve heard so many good things about it.
    Thoughts? Idea? Beta?

Trail riding, bike parky and gravel stuff will all be on the radar.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

LMK if you need a guide in Austin, the trails can be spaghetti bowls. (With much trail off the maps).
    I have a friend who lives for showing people around.

There is also an ex-shop owner and great guy that would probably be happy to show you around Bentonville.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'd like to do a similar trip in the new year, possibly all the way to FL and back. Looking at temps and current forecasts though doesn't make it look too appealing. Lots of 40's/50's for highs until you get to FL. Maybe Feb/Mar/April would be better. Head east on a more southerly route and then back west a bit more north when its a bit warmer in spring.

Regardless, interested to see what suggestions pop up. Youtube channels have provided some interesting looking options so far.

I find the temperature thing funny, Arkansas (at least the parts with good riding) can be much colder than NC in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    I find the temperature thing funny, Arkansas (at least the parts with good riding) can be much colder than NC in the winter.
    Yeah, I've spent some mid-winter days in southeast Missouri and it was cold as balls, so northern Arkansas seems like an odd choice for a mid-winter riding destination.

Just going off a gut feeling, I'll bet between Spider Mountain and the Austin stuff rideit is talking about, that stuff sound like way better potential than Arkansas. I've heard as many let down reports on AR as I have heard good reports.
    However many are in a shit ton.

^^^I thought about posting something similar but kinda wanted the joetron take on Bentonville.

Never been but I have a few friends that made it a detour on their way out west. The consensus has been that the riding there is better than expected, but it’s a stop on the way, not really a destination.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Just going off a gut feeling, I'll bet between Spider Mountain and the Austin stuff rideit is talking about, that stuff sound like way better potential than Arkansas. I've heard as many let down reports on AR as I have heard good reports.
    Yep, that's where I'm leaning too. I've heard Palo Duro in TX has some decent trail and Big Bend too. Guess I'll keep an eye on the virus and the weather.

I'd love to check out Bentonville, I've heard some outrageous claims - like "better than Whistler" - which I view as absolute horseshit. I'm actually way more interested in the tech-y enduro trails in Eureka Springs that drop off from the 200ft Jesus.

well this is funny I was thinking the same thing everyone else was thinking
    might drive to this shit hole in south carolina called hilton something
    was thinking of stopping in bentonville, fuck texas, is the riding in pisgah available in february ?
    maybe a meet up in bentonville?

My original plan was to drive out to Asheville in Feb, but my friend I was gonna visit wants to get out of town for a bit.
    Big Bend/Terlingua is looking pretty good for some adventure riding, but a big drive from NC.

Riding is year-round in Pisgah, save for the rare snow which doesn’t stick around long. IMO, February is getting into prime riding season. No growth, leaves have cleared, and the trails should be pretty empty. Temperature is a crapshoot, but February has been trending pretty warm.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I rode Bentonville this spring, and rode Pisgah this spring and fall. Bentonville is very cool for where it is in the world, but IMO it doesn't compare to Pisgah or locations west. I was only there for a few days, but I rode the two major trail systems in town, i.e. Coler and Slaughter Pen. Coler is mostly XC with some sections of flow. Slaughter Pen is all flow/bike park lines. Coming from CO and UT, I'll just say... "flow" means different things in different places. In the midwest and southeast, flow usually means: pedal your ass off the whole time to keep your speed up enough to actually hit the jumps. I love the downhills at Pisgah, fwiw. Dupont is really pedally but has some fun sections. Just saying, I'd rather ride Pisgah than Bentonville.

If it were me, for biking in Feb, I'd be looking at Arizona. As dry as it this year, maybe Moab.

Sounds like an awesome trip.

Fahzure vouches for NW Arkansas.

Texas/AR winter riding

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Fahzure vouches for NW Arkansas.
    I know, but I actually find that somewhat concerning. Lol.

Today discovered I have some contacts with good Terlingua/Big Bend beta. Getting pretty stoked for that zone.

just a heads up. The dogs at the inspection station on 67 are very good at sniffing weed
    off your knees Louie

Haha. Copy that. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    just a heads up. The dogs at the inspection station on 67 are very good at sniffing weed
    Ditto for the dogs at Yuma.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Haha. Copy that. Good to know.

“So, you are from Colorado, are you? Please step right this way, and don’t pet the dog”

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I know, but I actually find that somewhat concerning. Lol.

Oh, it’s a red flag for sure, but YOLO...

Husband did a trip to Big Bend for some bike-acting a couple years ago and he really enjoyed it. here's the write up https://www.bikemag.com/features/ori...ded-greatness/
    Seems like one of those places like little cool ski areas that you have to make the effort to get to, but is rewarding in a unique way
    He went in March and it was hot as balls. of course he came from full-on winter here, so the blood was not ready but I think your January/Feb timeframe seems good for Big Bend.
    I asked him if he wished he would have brought his gravel bike too on that trip and he said "no" (he's succinct with his words)
    But I would probably bring it given what I've read

I look fwd to hearing about it whatever way it goes bc those areas are on my list too
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Husband did a trip to Big Bend for some bike-acting a couple years ago and he really enjoyed it. here's the write up https://www.bikemag.com/features/ori...ded-greatness/
    Seems like one of those places like little cool ski areas that you have to make the effort to get to, but is rewarding in a unique way
    He went in March and it was hot as balls. of course he came from full-on winter here, so the blood was not ready but I think your January/Feb timeframe seems good for Big Bend.
    I asked him if he wished he would have brought his gravel bike too on that trip and he said "no" (he's succinct with his words)
    But I would probably bring it given what I've read

I look fwd to hearing about it whatever way it goes bc those areas are on my list too
    Thanks for linking to that article. That was a great read and stoked me out for this mission. I'll probably also take the gravel bike for some time on dirt roads in Big Bend NP. Contemplating that 60 mile IMBA loop as an overnight.

Beware of Chupacabras. Real ones, not the TGR poster.

I got tipped with some nugs of of s strain called Chupacabra last week. That shit was dangerous!
    I had to lie down and listen to jazz at one point

Big Bend is definitely a cool place. Well, actually, a cool hot place. If you’re camping, I’d suggest the campground that is up in the mountain basin in the center of the park.

Also, there is a hot spring down by the river that is well worth it in normal times. Not sure if it is a good idea during the age of covid, but...

The latest “Nature” on PBS made me really want to get to Big Bend

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/big-...-nuespk/23821/
    skid luxury