Page 114 of 165 FirstFirst ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 4109
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    I'm on exo with inserts. I wasn't requesting suggestions for myself, as I genuinely believe there isn't isn't better tyre than the minions. Not tried the assegai yet though. I just wanted to know what people think is a better tyre

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    Oh ok i see. Minion is a great dry rire, assegai is probably better in a bit sfter conditions, dhr is good in even softer or some mud. A cheaper altenative and atleast as good or better than a minion dhf dd is a michelin dh34 bike park or schwalbe big betty or vee runner flow snap. Exo+ weight the michelin wild am2 , vee rubber flow snap, dh weight add in tge new specialized butcher grid gravity with the new t9 rubber, and new bontrager g5
    Assegai alternative is the schwalbe magic mary, michelin dh22(just dh casing but the best dh tire currently) , wild enduro front(exo+ weight). Everything listed can be found easily at a better priced than overpriced maxxis

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I still think you should be wary of people who espouse specific models without listing soil type, application and use.

One reason I like to dabble in DHF alternatives is that I’m looking for a tire with equivalent cornering characteristics to the DHF but with the cornering blocks lasting longer before getting undercut and cracked. Our trails aren’t really hard on tires here, but that trademark Oakridge Velcro loam allows you to dive into and shoot out of out of corners with really high speed. It’s literally the only thing that wears out my tires here, vs everywhere else it’s braking or impacts that usually toasts tires.

So far I’m liking how the Mazza is both feeling and looking after 10 rides …

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Oh yeah, and my Dissector 3C MT is also falling apart after 10 rides. It sounds like the DD DC is promising? I’m definitely liking the way this tire handles … it’s gonna be Dissector or DHR2 DD DC for my next rear.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Oh yeah, and my Dissector 3C MT is also falling apart after 10 rides. It sounds like the DD DC is promising? I’m definitely liking the way this tire handles … it’s gonna be Dissector or DHR2 DD DC for my next rear.
    Do Dual Compound/Double Down tires actually exist (other than Aggressor)?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Do Dual Compound/Double Down tires actually exist (other than Aggressor)?
    Not in most tires.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Most of the Maxxis tires with smaller knobs only come in dual compound, or sometimes MaxxSpeed (triple compound, but with harder rubber). I've always assumed that was because the smaller knobs don't hold up well in the softer triple compounds. People complain about the Aggressor only being available in dual compound, but I think that tire would fall apart pretty quick with softer rubber.

The Dissector seems like it's a middle ground tire that has knobs that aren't as big as minions, but they're a little bigger than something like an Aggressor. Apparently Maxxis thought it'd hold up ok in a triple compound, but it seems like maybe they were wrong.

FWIW, here's what my DD MG Dissector looked like after riding it ~3x/week from February - July.
    Rides were an average of 2,000 vert on NorCal coast (dry, loose over hard).
    When I rode the EXO MT version last year, it took about 3 weeks to get to this point. I'm not sure why but the DD/MG configuration lasted much longer. My theory is that the softer rubber deforms rather than tears.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	972.6 KB 
ID:	380717

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Not in most tires.
    ‘Not in most’ or none other than Aggressor? When I’ve searched previously the only DC/DD combo tire I’ve found was the Agressor, which I personally wasn’t a huge fan of.

Like Schralph, I’d be interested in trying a Dissector or DHR with that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    ‘Not in most’ or none other than Aggressor? When I’ve searched previously the only DC/DD combo tire I’ve found was the Agressor, which I personally wasn’t a huge fan of.

Like Schralph, I’d be interested in trying a Dissector or DHR with that combo.
    Definitely not for DHF, DHR, Assegai, or Dissector. I was too lazy to check if there were any others, hence the ass covering.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Definitely not for DHF, DHR, Assegai, or Dissector. I was too lazy to check if there were any others, hence the ass covering.
    Well shit, those are the only ones I care about!

IIRC the Minion SS comes in a DD or DH casing, in WT, and in DC compound. That is a ridiculous amount of abbreviations.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    FWIW, here's what my DD MG Dissector looked like after riding it ~3x/week from February - July.
    Rides were an average of 2,000 vert on NorCal coast (dry, loose over hard).
    When I rode the EXO MT version last year, it took about 3 weeks to get to this point. I'm not sure why but the DD/MG configuration lasted much longer. My theory is that the softer rubber deforms rather than tears.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	972.6 KB 
ID:	380717
    That’s some interesting data. I wonder if somehow the casing makes a difference even though to me it seems like it wouldn’t it terms of the knobs. Anybody compared the exact same tire for durability where the only difference is the casing? Obviously talking about tread life, not rips in the sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    Anybody compared the exact same tire for durability where the only difference is the casing? Obviously talking about tread life, not rips in the sidewall.
    I've spent a ton of time on Maxxterra Minions in every casing. My conclusion is that Exo and Exo+ will be full of holes long before the tread starts showing significant wear.

I don't notice any difference in wear rates between DD and DH casings, assuming the same rubber compound.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    IIRC the Minion SS comes in a DD or DH casing, in WT, and in DC compound. That is a ridiculous amount of abbreviations.
    Well shit, that’s not one of the ones I care about!

(Also, the Maxxis website now shows EXO/Dual as the only choice)

Versus is selling the warrantied warped tires that we sent back. If you want a cheap set of wobbly tires the code is SUMMER-SHRED-15

Nice rear tires. Too bad the brand will be dead soon.

That’s good to know that DD MG Dissectors hold up well. That tire actually piqued my interest as a winter tire. I tend to ride more rocky, rooty, free-draining trails when it’s wet (south coast BC), so something a bit lower profile but with sticky rubber would be a good call.

Meanwhile, it hasn’t rained in 7 weeks or so, and this dry, loose dirt is doing a number on all my tires.

Yeah, so now I understand why the expert/pro enduro guys just ride DH casing over DD. 29 Assegai DH is only 85g heavier than DD. 27.5 DHR DH is only 40g heavier than DD. (Sample size 1 each.) For that little difference, you'd be crazy not to err on the side of tougher / fewer flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Yeah, so now I understand why the expert/pro enduro guys just ride DH casing over DD. 29 Assegai DH is only 85g heavier than DD. 27.5 DHR DH is only 40g heavier than DD. (Sample size 1 each.) For that little difference, you'd be crazy not to err on the side of tougher / fewer flats.
    The DH casing has a noticeably stiffer feel than DD, though. It can feel a rough. I think that’s why you still see some DD on the front. I agree that the weight difference is somewhat negligible.

DH also commits you to MaxxGrip rubber in most cases. I'd be more interested in running DH casings on pedally bikes if MaxxTerra was more of an option. The difference in rolling resistance is substantial in back.

I'd rather have more grip than less rolling resistance but I'm in the UK where trails are barely dry. I want as much help on wet roots and rocks as poss

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

To the dude asking where DD tires are in Denver....Golden Bike Shop has plenty. Real mountain bike shop BTW no bullshit

That’s where I ended up grabbing some. It did seem like a legit LBS.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

I threw on my XC tires to get used to them before the Dakota 5-0, and I’m having a lot of problems with my 27.5x2.35 Vittoria Mezcal folding in corners (30inner rim with Cush XC @35psi) I know there’s a trade off for weight in a race tire, but does anybody know of a tire with fast rolling tread that’s got a little more sidewall support?

Before you say it, yes, I’m a fucking 200lb princess.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I threw on my XC tires to get used to them before the Dakota 5-0, and I’m having a lot of problems with my 27.5x2.35 Vittoria Mezcal folding in corners (30inner rim with Cush XC @35psi) I know there’s a trade off for weight in a race tire, but does anybody know of a tire with fast rolling tread that’s got a little more sidewall support?

Before you say it, yes, I’m a fucking 200lb princess.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Same thing I told a friend this weekend. Spend the time to find the proper balance point of the bike with those tires. Shift your weight around.

Rippers run fast tires in all sorts of disciplines. 4x, dirt jumping, XC, cyclocross, etc

Play around with tire pressure as well. You are probably only a few psi off from optimal. Obviously it is higher but not too high.

You've got time to experiment and dial it in. The cush core is cheating so it shouldn't take much.