Any info on Redlands, CA?

I'll be there for a week long seminar starting tomorrow.
    Any good restaurants/bars in town?
    Anything close to the University of Redlands would be great, as that's where I'm staying, and I won't have a car. I figure there should at least be a few bars near the school, but any good recommendations as to where, or who has the best happy hour, etc. are welcome.
    If I want to go farther than walking distance, how's public transportation?
    My day's will be pretty full, so sadly, I won't be able to get out and explore a whole lot.
    Thanks in advance.
    "I just looked down to see if I was wearing my seatbelt, and I'm sitting at my desk in my room."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/owencaprell/

BSS Guest
    No help on restaurants, although I hear the meth out that way is top shelf.

It sucks. Have fun.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    It sucks. Have fun.
    +1. Makes Bakersfield look like Santa Rosa.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

redlands. bwahaha.

++++++++ vibes +++++++++++

THEY HAVE A HUSTLER CLUB!

Blow out the meeting a climb/ski Shasta, it will be more fun anyway.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Blow out the meeting a climb/ski Shasta, it will be more fun anyway.
    Redlands...not Redding, Mr. Geography

Hugh Conway Guest
    There was snow on San whatever the fuck peak a week ago.

Redlands sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Out_to_lunch View Post
    I'll be there for a week long seminar starting tomorrow.
    Any good restaurants/bars in town?

Sadly, I won't be able to get out and explore a whole lot.
    awww the 909, land of the dirt people

seriously, there is nothing to do in Redlands, bring a good book and enjoy your hotel room. Or of course there is always S&B!
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Being an old GISer, I've spent time in the beautiful hamlet of Redlands (ESRI headquaters). The old downtown is nice and there were good eats there, but it's beed 8 years or so, so I don't remember names.

What I do remember is driving to class in the morning and thinking, "That's a pretty mountain!" Then driving back in the afternoon and thinking, "What happened to that mountain!?"

Well, I meant to say Mt. San Gergornio Both are big mountains with snow.

Either way, both towns suck, but Redlands sucks even more then Redding. Other then the Uni., the rest of the town has gone to shit.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Rent a car and either drive up the mountain or drive to the beach.Those are the 2 options you have.I drive by Redlands twice a week for work and have never wanted to stop.Have a nice stay.

Now I realize that all of these responses are not jokes. At least you guys were honest...

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    What I do remember is driving to class in the morning and thinking, "That's a pretty mountain!" Then driving back in the afternoon and thinking, "What happened to that mountain!?"
    I've only been able to see, at best, vague outlines of mountains...
    "I just looked down to see if I was wearing my seatbelt, and I'm sitting at my desk in my room."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/owencaprell/

Quote Originally Posted by Out_to_lunch View Post
    Now I realize that all of these responses are not jokes. At least you guys were honest...

I've only been able to see, at best, vague outlines of mountains...
    You will be sitting in a valley between three great mountains...Mt San Gergornio, Mt Jan Jacinto, and Mt San Antonio. This time of year the combination of haze, smog and low clouds can completely obscure them, but if the weather is right you can sit and stare at them out of the window while your meeting drones on. I almost failed high trig because the classroom face Mt San Antonio and in the winter the views can be spectacular. If you have a little time take a drive up Mt San Jacinto towards Tahquits rock. Anything is better then staying in Redlands (or Redding for that matter.)

iscariot

Went to school there for 4 years. Theres not much to do. The Royal Falconer Pub is about the only bar. It might be fun during the world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Well, I meant to say Mt. San Gergornio Both are big mountains with snow.

Either way, both towns suck, but Redlands sucks even more then Redding. Other then the Uni., the rest of the town has gone to shit.
    Having lived in Chico and Dunsmuir, I can attest to the really suckyness of Redding. It has world class flyfishing running through town in the form of the lower sac, plus hat creek, mccloud, pit, upper sac within a hour or two but I still would hate to live there

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuperGaperWithaCherryOnTop View Post
    Having lived in Chico and Dunsmuir, I can attest to the really suckyness of Redding. It has world class flyfishing running through town in the form of the lower sac, plus hat creek, mccloud, pit, upper sac within a hour or two but I still would hate to live there
    Much like the similarly named Redlands of the "Inland Empire", the meth is plentiful

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Much like the similarly named Redlands of the "Inland Empire", the meth is plentiful
    Having worked in Redding for three summers and living there for one, I agree it sucks. But its nowhere in the ballpark of suck as the San Bernardino area.

Just drove in from Vegas and it looked pretty bad in Redlands.A combo of smog,haze and dust.Very sad If you can get above 5k it should be nice and clear though.

Well now, I live in on the central coast currently, but Redlands is my hometown. The Royal Falconer is a good pub along with The Boiler Room, both downtown, there's good food too. (besides skiing all winter in high school, all else there is to do is eat and go biking, or meth) I'd recommend Famous Dave's for barbecue, Benjarong for Thai, Ocean Blue for sushi, Cuca's for hole-in-the-wall Mexican, and The Gourmet Pizza Shoppe.

The public transportation is mediocre and sketchy, I've never used it. It's always 90-100+ there during the summer too, so I'd avoid walking. The UofR campus is nice at least.