Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blizzard Cochise 185

So I been eyeing the Cochise since they were released. Just something about that ski is very appealing to me. Seems more traditional to me.

Anyway my question is will I be overpowering this ski if I get it in a 185? Typically I don't ski anything shorter than a 190. I'm 6'3" and just under 200lbs. Ski pretty aggressively. Alta is my home resort. Coming off (still going strong) a pair of Sallie shoguns so the dims are close. I ski the shoguns as a 1 ski quiver and don't have any issue with them from deep to hardpack they do it all well for me. I'm 3 seasons on em that might be why.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Blizzard Cochise 185

Yes. I even consider it to be too short for me, and I'm only 5'10 and 175. Definitely go 193, imo, especially at a resort like Alta with no other ski (fatter). They measure short too - around 183.

Thanks lindhal kinda suspected that. I guess that 8cm diff between the shoguns and the Cochise will make a difference.
    I think the 193 will be too much ski. I don't like to work all day fighting the ski as I get tired and lazy towards days end. I wrong to think the 193 is more of a beast than the 185?

the new cochise is MUCH freindlier then the old one. I'm 5'10 and #155 new 185cm is just right for me.

You'll be psyched with the 192.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    the new cochise is MUCH freindlier then the old one. I'm 5'10 and #155 new 185cm is just right for me.
    I've skied with you. I know how big, and skilled you are.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    You'll be psyched with the 192.
    Problem is the deal I found is the 185. Tight budget lol

At 6'3" they might feel a little short in soft snow. For just ripping around the mountain at low tide or cut up crud they will be fine.

New tip profile definitely makes them
    a little better in deeper snow than the old ones. Tips plane a little better and are less prone to diving.

Hmmmmm decisions. It's overlap with the shoguns really. I'll look for the bigger boy model.

Thanks.

You know you need the 185
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Get 193. You're a big guy, cochises are nimble and easy to ski, they don't require much work either. Mount +1.5

I ski the 193. 6-1 200#. Feels long in tight trees and tight bumps. Amazing everywhere else.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    You know you need the 185
    man of the law

FWIW I am 5'9'' / 145lbs and ski the 185 from 2013/2014 (blue with red bull). I find it too short. Saying its actually 183cm is a compliment...more like 181cm. With the new generation I would definitely go 193cm. I, like you, had found a great deal on them which is why i pulled the trigger. Still a fun ski, but too small. I typically ski Engelberg/Andermatt.
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    FWIW I am 5'9'' / 145lbs and ski the 185 from 2013/2014 (blue with red bull). I find it too short. Saying its actually 183cm is a compliment...more like 181cm. With the new generation I would definitely go 193cm. I, like you, had found a great deal on them which is why i pulled the trigger. Still a fun ski, but too small. I typically ski Engelberg/Andermatt.
    really? I'm your size and ski the same ski (same year & length). I think they are great, and I probably would've enjoyed the 178 as well. No way I would size up to 193. But, unlike other I wasn't born on skis or in a race suit, and thus my technique isn't perfect, so I guess that makes a difference.

I do have a problem likely only in my head that I can't ever buy a ski shorter than 190. Literally been skiing Skis that long since the late 80's. Hard to break habit. I think spatulas were the only ski since that's been lower than 190, but spats are spats eh?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    really? I'm your size and ski the same ski (same year & length). I think they are great, and I probably would've enjoyed the 178 as well. No way I would size up to 193. But, unlike other I wasn't born on skis or in a race suit, and thus my technique isn't perfect, so I guess that makes a difference.
    I did grow up ski racing and am fairly fit so I dont tire quickly and I like the added stability on big open terrain. That said I do like trees as I grew up in VT and these 185's are a treat compared to the 207's I used to ski on....I just find skis are getting too short and losing stability as a result. YMMV!
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Blizzard Cochise 185

A 188-190 Cochise needs to happen still. 193 is just way too fucking big for resort terrain/bumps. That and a little wider at 110. Less camber too. Plz thx

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    A 188-190 Cochise needs to happen still. 193 is just way too fucking big for resort terrain/bumps. That and a little wider at 110. Less camber too. Plz thx
    yeah thats kinda the sweet spot....i can imagine the bumps in resort being a bitch with a 193..that why i was leaning towards the 185...ugh...maybe i dont need new skis lol

I've got a set of 185's (Blue with Orange bull) that I'm going to be selling off soon if you're looking for a used pair. Probably not helping out your dilemma, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    yeah thats kinda the sweet spot....i can imagine the bumps in resort being a bitch with a 193..that why i was leaning towards the 185...ugh...maybe i dont need new skis lol
    Maybe you need the Nordica El Capo. A manly ski and a true 185. Try it!

the goal with the 193 is to go over/through such bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I think that's called a Katana.

Katana needs a slight bit of camber to eliminate the washyness and a more modern mount point, but yeah...

No sure anyone else said this or not but a Cochise is a lot different and a lot more ski than a Shogun. The 185 is fairly easy to ski but also has a fairly large turn radius and can feel slow to get around to someone not used to that kind of radius. Still agree with the 192 for Alta but they may feel like a lot of ski at first. I ski the second year 185's becuase there are lots of trees where I play in the mountains.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...