Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    ^^ I'm not a moron, asshole. Some of the weather stations do not equate to nearby cities. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Poorly placed for what though? The backbone of weather collection and prediction is largely for aviation and maritime purposes.

That's why weather underground/PWS was a revolutionary idea. You don't live at the airport.
    This is a great point, actually. And sort of addresses what I'm getting at.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Poorly placed for what though? The backbone of weather collection and prediction is largely for aviation and maritime purposes.

That's why weather underground/PWS was a revolutionary idea. You don't live at the airport.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1uaw3WIOlc&t=59s
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Wait. Ricks farm and tire supply is at the airport now?

Rick's Farm, Tire, and Treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Wait. Ricks farm and tire supply is at the airport now?
    You didn’t get the memo?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

111 in Spokane right now. 117 at Walla Walla regional airport. KQ is probably about ready to go sit in the bath tub with cold water in it.

Is there anything that is 'Hotter Than A Whore House On Nickel Night'?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    111 in Spokane right now. 117 at Walla Walla regional airport. KQ is probably about ready to go sit in the bath tub with cold water in it.
    That is hot.

Maxed out briefly according to NOAA at 89, feels great and the dog actually wants to go outside at last!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    You are probably looking at thermometers that are getting sun or heat from local objects. Official thermometers are always shaded to get the “real” temperature.
    While that IS true, if you are standing where the Thermometer is the temperature at that location is what the reading is.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/...ut-record.html

Too bad he didn't write that one out. Good listen.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Dying here.

I've had 4 showers today. My routine is:

Turn the horses out at 4am. At 8am I give my senior guy his first cold hosing because he's not sweating like he should. I continue hosing him every hour and a half until about 1pm when I bring everyone into the barn then I continue to make checks until 8pm or so. Inbetween I take naps in a dark cool room and feverishly check the weather forecast hoping to see something other than 100+ degrees. This is brutal.

Wheat is a total loss across the entire valley. It was bad going into this due to lack of precip and now it's toast. I actually saw a field being harvested last week. Havesting in June is nuts. Don't know if this will effect wheat prices nationally but you bread bakers out there might want to buy and extra bag or two just to hedge your bets.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

+++vibes+++ KQ
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    While that IS true, if you are standing where the Thermometer is the temperature at that location is what the reading is.
    Ummm... you sure about that? In a greatly simplified sense, a thermometer sitting in the sun is likely going read much hotter than the surrounding air temperature, primarily as a result of the extra shortwave solar radiation. Whereas convection is going to be the primary heat transfer mechanism affecting the air temperature.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    +++vibes+++ KQ
    +1

I have been in some very hot places. There was always a pool

KQ. Couldn’t you put up some of those water mist stations and let the animals cool off as required

Her in Verdi we have the Truckee river. Lots of people at the river. It hit 98 here today
    Swap cooler is keeping things cool. Tahoe must be awesome right now
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Baby birds in the nest outside my door aren’t looking good after the heat. Can’t tell what the hell is going on here but can’t be good. Once I get a whiff of death they go in the compost bin. Poor little guys.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1625020143.196083.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	378342

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ I'm not a moron, asshole. Some of the weather stations do not equate to nearby cities. It's a fact.

This is a great point, actually. And sort of addresses what I'm getting at.
    Hey now, don't hate me because rick didn't give you a discount.
    The point is: official weather Stations can't be in inner City setups because they need certain requirements ( so many meters from buildings ...Set up above grass...and so on. Tbh I don't know how they do that in deserts or in Green Land? ).

So of course inner cities can be a lot hotter than the Stations because of All the Asphalt and concrete. And your second Statement makes a lot more sense than the first. You're welcome, moron.

The heat Island effect in cities is very real and can make up to 2 or 3° C (that's about 347 freedom units)on average, but can go up to 8°C during certain Times of the day e.g. early night or evening. But it's very seasonal and weather dependent which would distort any reliable measuring.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 06-29-2021 at 11:19 PM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I have been in some very hot places. There was always a pool

KQ. Couldn’t you put up some of those water mist stations and let the animals cool off as required

Her in Verdi we have the Truckee river. Lots of people at the river. It hit 98 here today
    Swap cooler is keeping things cool. Tahoe must be awesome right now
    This guy isn't fond of misters or irrigation unfortunately. I've had some that love it. They are all different.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Sorry to hear about your harvest KQ, and hope your animals make it through this heat.

Our aging girl is digging holes all over the lawn to try and find a cool spot, despite hosing off her summer house to cool it down (HDPE 'dogloo' over dirt on the north side of the house). We take her late morning, afternoon, and evening to the river to cool her belly. Her breeding isn't made for this heat with her double coat that is only halfway shed. She only suffers her belly to get wet; the rest of her doesn't take soaking well. Summer heat not even this bad ended her predecessor.

45C today, maybe see 23C lows tonight, then forecast to be 42C tomorrow with another poor overnight recovery. Then thunderstorm warnings. Very bad. Smoky sunset from a blaze just NW of Kamloops bodes ill fortune if dry lightening happens as they predict. And this heat is melting the snowpack at incredible rate, with some roads flooded by the swollen rivers of the N.Thompson and Clearwater. It's one for the books for sure. Be well everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Some of the weather stations do not equate to nearby cities. It's a fact.
    I’ll back you up on this issue. It’s always bugged me that the Burlington weather station is located at the airport which is a few miles outside of Burlington in South Burlington. 90% of Burlington is from the UVM hill down to the lake and is usually a few degrees different from where the airport sits. Mostly cooler in the spring/summer and warmer in the fall/winter. Even more pronounced the closer you get to the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Sorry to hear about your harvest KQ, and hope your animals make it through this heat.

Our aging girl is digging holes all over the lawn to try and find a cool spot, despite hosing off her summer house to cool it down (HDPE 'dogloo' over dirt on the north side of the house). We take her late morning, afternoon, and evening to the river to cool her belly. Her breeding isn't made for this heat with her double coat that is only halfway shed. She only suffers her belly to get wet; the rest of her doesn't take soaking well. Summer heat not even this bad ended her predecessor.

45C today, maybe see 23C lows tonight, then forecast to be 42C tomorrow with another poor overnight recovery. Then thunderstorm warnings. Very bad. Smoky sunset from a blaze just NW of Kamloops bodes ill fortune if dry lightening happens as they predict. And this heat is melting the snowpack at incredible rate, with some roads flooded by the swollen rivers of the N.Thompson and Clearwater. It's one for the books for sure. Be well everyone!
    Right back at you with the condolences. My neighbors who have three Pyrs shave their bellies in the summer to help keep them cool.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Ummm... you sure about that? In a greatly simplified sense, a thermometer sitting in the sun is likely going read much hotter than the surrounding air temperature, primarily as a result of the extra shortwave solar radiation. Whereas convection is going to be the primary heat transfer mechanism affecting the air temperature.

Blah blah blah. If you or the thermometer are in the same location then both you and the thermometer are subject to the same heating effects. And if you are wearing a black T-shirt and the thermometer is wearing a white T-shirt, what then professor?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

What sort of material are the shirts? Polyester, cotton, 50/50, triblend?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What sort of material are the shirts? Polyester, cotton, 50/50, triblend?
    For the sake of simplicity, Cotton, on a treadmill.

118° in the Arctic Circle. We are fucked.