Page 399 of 599 FirstFirst ... 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 ... LastLast
Results 9,951 to 9,975 of 14972
    Got these mounted up this morning. Really stoked to get out and try them, just waiting on weather to cooperate. The Tecton’s feel amazing on carpet, really excited to feel them ski, really feel locked in at the heel. My touring partner cautioned me: “I hope you don’t crash because you can’t stop looking at those topsheets!” Probably good advice...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D2F1236-9BA0-43B4-A3FB-417FF186BA8A.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	358213

Name:	B9CA1DDB-EE9C-470A-B45D-E1973D192450.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	791.4 KB 
ID:	358214

Name:	4B3D58D9-21D6-4C01-9603-9E0ADE8FBB9C.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	649.8 KB 
ID:	358215

That is quite the potent setup. Solid choices there imho.

I am really excited to get some feedback on all the killer BGB108t setups that have been posted thus far. Initially my tought process was that the RES complimented standard BGs better, but 108s sure are versatile.

Then again I am also starting to think that wood108t would make an awesome spring playstick and that their rounder flex would make them even more versatile than the standard offering.

Good thing I am under a self imposed ski bbuying embargo eh (and that the skis in question are sold out too) Besides, I am more than happy with my current crop of touring skis from Völkl, so replacing them is a big ask.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    That is quite the potent setup. Solid choices there imho.

I am really excited to get some feedback on all the killer BGB108t setups that have been posted thus far. Initially my tought process was that the RES complimented standard BGs better, but 108s sure are versatile.

Then again I am also starting to think that wood108t would make an awesome spring playstick and that their rounder flex would make them even more versatile than the standard offering.

Good thing I am under a self imposed ski bbuying embargo eh (and that the skis in question are sold out too) Besides, I am more than happy with my current crop of touring skis from Völkl, so replacing them is a big ask.
    Thanks man! I will for sure provide a write-up of my impressions of the 108 Tours. They’re lighter than I’d expected. I was VERY unhappy w/ my other touring setup. The Scott Scrapper 105’s just were NOT my ski. Too soft in the shovels, oddly stiff beyond, no tip/tail taper made them “grabby” in crusts (in a way that felt eerily similar to when I tore my ACL in 2008 on a pair of Salomon 1080 Foil’s). I just wasn’t comfortable on them and for skis I’m using OB, I just didn’t want that at all. The wife was very understanding and I was able to move the Scrapper’s on to another mag for a decent price, so it all worked out in the end.

I too wanna hear more stoke about BG108Ts

Woodsman 116 or BG for a pow specific ski. I ended up sticking with my Mindbender108ti for my everyday ski but the 116 is super light which I am not into. Looking like we are actually getting snow this weekend at Alta and I wanna be on an On3p for it. Seems like the Woodsman would be a bit more traditional but everyone sings such high praises about the BG. Would love to get some input on this.

Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    Woodsman 116 or BG for a pow specific ski. I ended up sticking with my Mindbender108ti for my everyday ski but the 116 is super light which I am not into. Looking like we are actually getting snow this weekend at Alta and I wanna be on an On3p for it. Seems like the Woodsman would be a bit more traditional but everyone sings such high praises about the BG. Would love to get some input on this.
    Powder specific = RES for sure. If it actually dumps in lcc this weekend I'll be on my C&Ds. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    Powder specific = RES for sure. If it actually dumps in lcc this weekend I'll be on my C&Ds. Fingers crossed.
    It’s looking like it! Is there a learning curve to the RES?

It’s looking like it! Is there a learning curve to the RES?
    No. It's just like every other ski, but better in every single way.

Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    No. It's just like every other ski, but better in every single way.
    I disagree here, slightly (re: RES).

Not a major learning curve, but remember to not drive the BG tips too hard on groomers/hard stuff and to stay more upright. I also recommend people ski them from the balls of your feet and midsole vs too tip heavy, and the smear and pivot goodness comes alive.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    I disagree here, slightly (re: RES).

Not a major learning curve, but remember to not drive the BG tips too hard on groomers/hard stuff and to stay more upright. I also recommend people ski them from the balls of your feet and midsole vs too tip heavy, and the smear and pivot goodness comes alive.
    Can you pressure the font of the ski soft snow? I feel like the BG will float a bit better and at 189, I'd be shocked if there was any tip dive.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Can you pressure the font of the ski soft snow? I feel like the BG will float a bit better and at 189, I'd be shocked if there was any tip dive.
    As much as you would ever want to, yes. They are intuitive and loose in 3d snow. Just be aware of their peculiarities on firm snow. The ski will let you know if you cross the line.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    As much as you would ever want to, yes. They are intuitive and loose in 3d snow. Just be aware of their peculiarities on firm snow. The ski will let you know if you cross the line.
    Yes, this. I don't mean you cannot drive the ski in the right snow, but wanted to clarify that your position and weighting will want to change on hard stuff or certain types of snow.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    QFT

IME you can get the tips to dive if you really try hard, but something about the RES makes the ski still work well even when the tips go under.

What do we think about a Woodsman 116 then adding a C&D after?

I like that idea. Alta is one of few places I can justify owning a 120+ inbounds pow ski, but it does get chopped pretty quick. Skiing a woods 116 the day (or week) after a storm searching for pockets seems pretty fun imo. On normal winters you can pretty much daily a 116 at Alta. This year not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I like that idea. Alta is one of few places I can justify owning a 120+ inbounds pow ski, but it does get chopped pretty quick. Skiing a woods 116 the day (or week) after a storm searching for pockets seems pretty fun imo. On normal winters you can pretty much daily a 116 at Alta. This year not so much.
    This year has been rough. I’m hoping miracle March is still in the cards.

OK, I have a few days of touring on my BG116Ts now.

They are exactly what I hoped for. Conditions in the Colorado BC this year have been, well, extremely variable. I've been skiing soft snow with them, but it's definitely not been perfect powder snow. Think thin crusts, denser wind affected/sun affected recycled pow, unsupportive facets, etc. Like the standard BG, they handle all of this beautifully and make it feel damn close to perfect pow. As you would expect sharing the same shape, they are loose when you want them to be, will arc huge turns when you want them to, and can be skied at any speed and any turn shape.

I think Scott really nailed it with the layup and core construction. The core absolutely retains the energy and pop of the standard core; you can load up the skis in a turn and get tons of pop into the next. I do my best to not cross old tracks very often when I'm touring but the few times I did, they also have plenty enough dampness for a touring ski. I'm pretty sure they are not as damp as the standard layup in chop and crud but there's no replacement for mass in those conditions, and if you find yourself skiing that type of snow a lot while touring, you're doing it wrong.

I know everyone is hot and bothered by the BG108T, but I still personally don't see the appeal in it. The BG116T is plenty light enough for me (note that I have a strong dislike of lightweight skis), and should handle variable BC conditions a bit better than the narrower ski as well as float better at slower speeds and on lower angle terrain (both important to me in Colorado). If I'm going to be skiing significant amounts of hard snow I want a more hard snow oriented shape.

For reference, I'm 5'9" 145lbs and on the 184cm BG116T with G3 Zed 12s and Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130s. I also tour on 187cm Praxis Protests (still float a little better at low speeds/angles) and 184cm Praxis Freerides (for firmer/variable spring days until I can find a lighter/narrower ski that I actually enjoy skiing on).

Solid one two punch on the wider side of the quiver.

Woodsman116s does everything well from groomers through variable and pow if you want a solid, somewhat chargy ski - especially if you get them up to speed and attack a bit, then they loosen up really well. I had mine out to dial in the new tune on groomers today, and they are unsurprisingly a lot more inspiring on groomers than BGs. Sure, they are no Brahma 88, but are really predictable and strong on edge. They can be somewhat sensitive to how you weight yourself / apply pressure - that is, if you transfer too much weight on the inside ski and ski them very centered then the (tails of the) outside ski can tend to want to stay in a long arc / overpower the front part of the ski, but it will be 100% rider error imho and not the ski doing anything off. I am really curious how the slightly softer and slightly more setback 2021 model skis (182 length).

C&Ds are a ton of fun in fresh and are surprisingly capable for the return trip to the lift. They are great pow skis.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ... They are exactly what I hoped for. ...
    dammit. Everybody singing the song of almighty praise for BGts and BG108ts might end up being expensive come summer. Still, thanks for the review

Does anybody have any time on woodsman108tours?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Solid one two punch on the wider side of the quiver.

Woodsman116s does everything well from groomers through variable and pow if you want a solid, somewhat chargy ski - especially if you get them up to speed and attack a bit, then they loosen up really well. I had mine out to dial in the new tune on groomers today, and they are unsurprisingly a lot more inspiring on groomers than BGs. Sure, they are no Brahma 88, but are really predictable and strong on edge. They can be somewhat sensitive to how you weight yourself / apply pressure - that is, if you transfer too much weight on the inside ski and ski them very centered then the (tails of the) outside ski can tend to want to stay in a long arc / overpower the front part of the ski, but it will be 100% rider error imho and not the ski doing anything off. I am really curious how the slightly softer and slightly more setback 2021 model skis (182 length).

C&Ds are a ton of fun in fresh and are surprisingly capable for the return trip to the lift. They are great pow skis.

Pulled the trigger on the 116 Woodsman. Will look to add a BG or CD once I sell a few skis in the quiver.

I grew tired of waiting on snow. So given 6" in the last 48 hours here I decided to get the W116s out for the first time. Top of all the peaks are still closed and the only non rocked up skiing is groomers. Consider this the groomer test. My idea in buying these was for those days when you need to ski groomers to get back to lifts or hunting stashes. For real snow days the BG's come out.

The W116 have a more forward mount point than my other skis, nonetheless I mounted on the line. I found the mount point perfect for these skis and had no trouble adapting. I did a bit of tip/tail de-tuning from rocker contact point out. Given the width of these skis and the side cut nothing I found is surprising on groomers they like speed and big arching turns. Very stable at speed. Easy to turn and get them up on the edges in big turns. That said they are easy to slarve into short poppy turns but it does require a bit work (ie physical labor given the size). They are easily controllable when the groomed snow starts icing out. On the flats the track perfectly straight. In summary easy to turn, stable, fun. Obviously not a DD but can ski the groomers just fine. P.S. absolutely no issue with the tune. Assuming they ski 3D snow they will perfectly serve my objective in buying them.

After skiing the 116 on groomers for a day it also makes me think the 96, 102 or 108 Woods would make a great daily driver depending on user preference for width.

I still boggle at the suggestion that the BG is hard to ski on groomers, and I would need something else to comfortably get back to the lift.

I have never been hunting stashes and felt I needed a different ski for the day of the same waist width.
    Training for Alpental

Mags: I want a 108 ski instead of 116 for touring where I'm going to ski soft snow all day
    Also mags: I want a 116mm ski for inbounds days when it hasn't snowed in a week and I'm hunting around the mountain for one or two turns in soft snow

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    I still boggle at the suggestion that the BG is hard to ski on groomers, and I would need something else to comfortably get back to the lift.

I have never been hunting stashes and felt I needed a different ski for the day of the same waist width.
    Every time I see your profile picture I say to myself.. "Have you any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkT0g3FrOk

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Mags: I want a 108 ski instead of 116 for touring where I'm going to ski soft snow all day
    Also mags: I want a 116mm ski for inbounds days when it hasn't snowed in a week and I'm hunting around the mountain for one or two turns in soft snow
    I want and have 108's for both of those categories. Maybe if I lived in the Rockies I'd go wider, maybe.